Images
    Country
    Singapore

real Bony Tongue (Arowana)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Has anyone seen a real wild-stock arowana (Bony Tongue)? What colour is it? and would any one be selling commercially available F2 stock with such colour? I am still keen on a Bony Tongue in a planted tank, but doesn't want any of those commercially produced colour varieties. I want a Wild-looking one
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I seriously doubt you can find it here. Aro are restricted species, thus cannot bring in except if it is bred not wild caught.

I could be wrong as I not really a aro fan. stand to be corrected.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    no I don't mean I want a wild one. I want a legal F2 that still looks like a wild (F0).
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Any picture for this beauty?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/3/2003 1:16:27 AM

no I don't mean I want a wild one. I want a legal F2 that still looks like a wild (F0).
    ----------------
    Ummm.... how would a wild-looking one look different? As I understand it, due to larger swim space, the wild or pond-living ones will have larger finnage than the average tank-living ones.

If you want aggressive, the RTGs are much more so then Reds. Not sure about x-backs. Reds are docile enough that they are the fish of choice for arowana community tanks.

Finally got your permit from the home-affairs minister?
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    well, get the blue base malaysian bonytongue. still available in malaysia.
    I think you talk to Aro Pacific, they maybe have. Or jus go down to the REAL bukit merah in malaysia and get a BMBXB (bukit merah blue x-back)
    Lyon © I would rather walk a thousand leagues then to see your ugly face

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    what I meant is that if you go to a bony tongue infested river and FISH, you would get one with some coloration, and this would be the natural colour of the fish. So what is this colour? Do you mean to say that you can fish an RTG, or Red, or X-back right out of the river?

Hey Choy, caught this Saratoga with a lure in Australia lake.It looks like a green one with a little bit red. I heard that wild red type can be found in Indonesia.

Not to worry, he's still alive as we released him after taking a few pictures

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Choy,

There are wild RTGs, reds, x-back golden, yellow tails and green asian arowanas. They populate different bodies of waters in Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, and Indonesia. So yes, you would find these occuring in the wild.

However, you will not find the 1.5 Grade Red or the Panda Gold (RTG x Golden x-back) in natural waters. These are hybrids.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Most of the farm bred aros are more or less pure breeds.

As far as I know, the following are pure breed fish and are available if you really fish in the appropriate wild regions

1) Malaysian cross back
    2) Red Aro - further divided into the blood red and chilli red variety. They are caught from different portions of some Indonesian rivers and have different traits
    3) Indonesian Red Tail Golden - Note that more farms are mixing pure breed RTGs with crossbacks to get "highback RTGs" eg Panda Gold
    4) Yellow Tail aro - very rare and some mistakenly name it as 1.5 red. You'll probably not find this for sale in Singapore
    5) Malaysian Green aro

There are others like Jardini ( the one in subzero's pics) , Silver Arowanas and Black aros

Thus, what aro you would like in your planted tank depends on your budget