Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: ...about to reset tank, once i get home.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

...about to reset tank, once i get home.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi

as per all the advice i gathered in other threads, the only way out of my situation seems to be re-setting the tank.

these are the things i have right now..

1. 25x25x30cm tank
    2. up aqua external 120 filter
    3. soil (getting new shrimp soil from another forumer)
    4. mosura mineral plus
    5. seachem prime
    6. a drift wood with moss
    7. a 11w PL light

please give me all the advice i need to make this successful. i do not intend to incur too much more cost but i believe i need to add in more things but what else do i need?

i plan to get plants to achieve carpet look.

if anyone who has the time, please help me list down what i can do. thanks

Initial tank layout

When there was life...

New filter

Tank without life and current disaster
    Last edited by kermit13sg; 28th Aug 2011 at 11:14.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Paraguay

Re: ...about to reset tank, once i get home.

hi, i had a very bad algae problem recently.
    Hair algae, green spot algae, and the worst was brown brush algae. I have a 3 feet planted tank just setup.
    to counter the algae problem i increased my CO2 and reduced my lighting period plus bi - weekly water changes
    But still i didn't manage to totally eradicate my algae problems.
    I tried golden algae eater - to violent for me and once they taste flakes/dries food they don't fancy algaes anymore - gave them away
    oto cats - helps but not so effective ( ihave 5 of them)
    2 siamese algae eaters - they seem to to suck on the algae but it never clears up
    My unlikely saviour was 10 short body marble mollies my friend passed me.
    He bought it as fish food for his ARO but found it too cute so passed on to me.
    From the momment they were introduced to my tank they have been cleaning up algaes except for grren spot algae.
    Maybe a couple of horned nerite will work.

I was at the verge of resetting my tank but thanks to the mollies I'm managing quite well

Cheers

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

A good forumer has suggested me to add

1. BT-9
    2. Old Sea Mud powder
    3. Shizen powder

can anyone advise or concur? if i already use Seachem Prime to de-chlorinate, do i still need shizhen, i am sure there are folks there who use both, but i really want to avoid buying more than i should.

if i use mosura mineral plus, do i need old sea mud? (though i know this is for initial startup)

and BT-9, i got some BB liquid already...can't remember name, is that ok or BT-9 is better and more reliable?

i am likely to get a new 1.5ft tank ...

and filter media, this filter has 4 compartments,
    1. white wool
    2. black sponge
    3. ceramic rings
    4. ceramic rings

should i replace one ceramic rings with Bio Homme plus? or how do you folks suggest i build the media?
    thanks

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

It's better to use old sea mud for start ups..it increases the life span of your soil if you want a planted tank.
    It's ok to use either seachem prime OR shizen to de-chlorinate your water..though there are people who use both.(tad bit of 'kiasu') either way it works.
    BT-9 works about the same way as other BB brands,but I suppose that BT-9 is more reliable after all it is specially for shrimps.
    How one wants to build a filter is really up to that individual.It should be black wool first to take out coarse particle then white wool for tinier particles then to carbon filter if you want to get rid of any unwant substance then to as many ceramic rings as you want to build up the biological filter for your tank( bio homme plus is a luxury item when ceremic rings could achieve the same result if you cycle your tank well)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by leefhker View Post
    It's better to use old sea mud for start ups..it increases the life span of your soil if you want a planted tank.
    It's ok to use either seachem prime OR shizen to de-chlorinate your water..though there are people who use both.(tad bit of 'kiasu') either way it works.
    BT-9 works about the same way as other BB brands,but I suppose that BT-9 is more reliable after all it is specially for shrimps.
    How one wants to build a filter is really up to that individual.It should be black wool first to take out coarse particle then white wool for tinier particles then to carbon filter if you want to get rid of any unwant substance then to as many ceramic rings as you want to build up the biological filter for your tank( bio homme plus is a luxury item when ceremic rings could achieve the same result if you cycle your tank well)
    thanks for the tips, i am taking notes.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    What soil should I get

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

any with buffering capabilities..it's really up to you..but i recommand benachi,mosura,borneowild or gex.. these are more reliable brands..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Finally, it's done! Day 2 of new setup.

How much water to change on day2? And just change with tap water? Or can I add the bt9 that I already have?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Did first water change, 50% wit seachem prime and BT9. added a piece of food.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by kermit13sg View Post
    Finally, it's done! Day 2 of new setup.

How much water to change on day2? And just change with tap water? Or can I add the bt9 that I already have?
    don't forget that you have to treat your water will anti chlorine first..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, I did that with seachem prime, thanks!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

nice initial set-up here...i was talking with Richard,colorful aquarium recently and he mentioned using anti-chlorine such as seachem prime which is what i am using can cause low or no reproduction effect on shrimp based on his observation....anybody concur with this comment??

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by kermit13sg View Post
    Yes, I did that with seachem prime, thanks!
    well it is a very nice and simple setup..get it to cycle,monitor its' progress for about 2-4 weeks then you are almost done..check that there must be 0 ammonia and nitrite level then you should be able to add in the shrimps already..
    by the way,i couldn't see your fan and filter inlet from your picture?(i.e you have to run your filter for the cycling..)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh ok.. Thanks again.

Do I need to do more water change over this 2-4 week period? Does the weekly water change starts from now?

I intend to do that carpet grass feel. Thinking of US fissiden on wire mesh but don't really like the metal being seen.

The other option is to plant glosso into the soil but that didn't work for me the first time.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Nice tank Kermit! I like your new setup and not giving up on the hobby!

I am much worse.... got a 3ft tank from a bro! Going for low tech planted aquarium yet again.... and this time, not adding shrimp till probably 1 - 2 months later The fishes that came with the tank is doing fine... and so is the mountain shrimp!

I re-setted my IQ3 in my sons room. Just water change with anti chlorine and old sea mud. Did not change plants and after a week of cycling..... added 10 cherrys... and now have baby shrimps swimming around. I see loads of planaria and sucking them out one by one. Other than that, no problem. So... you see, just be patient and cycle

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks. I'm not quite done wirh it, still thinking if i should use fissiden on mesh or plant plants directly into soil.

That's so cool. Well, I hope mine will be ok too.
    Last edited by kermit13sg; 4th Sep 2011 at 20:57.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks. I'm not quite done with it, still thinking if i should use fissiden on mesh or plant plants directly into soil.

And congrats on your 3ft. Yes, this time I'm exercising more patience in introducing life into tank.

One nice guy here has offered me some shrimps to test water when it's ready.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Anyone has any ideas for me? In terms of adding more greens?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

How about one of my favorite, Windelov?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I'll google that.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast