Thread: Big thanks for visits at Aquarama

Feedback Score

Big thanks for visits at Aquarama

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all visitors at Aquarama

First of all a big thank you to all of you who visited us at the Aquarama show. It is always a pleasure to speak to so many enthusiastic plant people - who know so much about plants as you do
    I have read some of the comments from all of you and would like to clarify a few things!
    One wrote:

"this time around, the ang mo's at tropica quite 'chao kwan' one....on sat when they start selling the plants..etc, they were initially selling the pellia in a small plastic bag $10 and those tied to a rock for $15. But after a while..they run out of loose notes for change...and guess what they did... they just increase the price of those tied to a rock from $15 to $20, so that they dun need to give change. Guess they dun care...since no one locally wants to distribute their plants...too ex with airfreight..etc when compared to those available locally."

This is not correct and I am very sorry if any one has had this impression.
    We sold all plants to the prices mentioned on the list which also has been published on this site. On Sunday after 4 pm we sold the remaining plants cheaper from 5 to 15 dollars per pot.
    The Monosolenium (Pellia) was sold in bags for 10 S$ or 20 S$ for a stone as the price poster showed. If anyone has had it cheaper they have had a discount []

But if Lucasrock or anyone else feels they have been cheated or in anyway has had an incorrect service from us during the show please feel free to contact me at [email protected] and we will be happy to find a solution[]

Once again many thanks for visiting us at Aquarama.

Martin
    Tropica
    Kindest Regards,

Martin

'Tis a great world underneath the sea'

Feedback Score
    "this time around, the ang mo's at tropica quite 'chao kwan' one....on sat when they start selling the plants..etc, they were initially selling the pellia in a small plastic bag $10 and those tied to a rock for $15. But after a while..they run out of loose notes for change...and guess what they did... they just increase the price of those tied to a rock from $15 to $20, so that they dun need to give change. Guess they dun care...since no one locally wants to distribute their plants...too ex with airfreight..etc when compared to those available locally."
    I am not anyhow related to Tropical non a LFS owner, I am a pure hobbyist. I feel that their pricing is fair. I don’t think Tropical was desperate for money to sell their plants in the exhibition, mind you, they are big company! I believe their purpose here is not to meet us hobbyists, but rather for the foreigners trade visitors to be aware of their products and approach them for distributorship in their countries!

Most of their plants are not available here in Singapore. In my own opinion they are doing us a favor by making it available for us here! I know what I say might here might not make sense to some of you here as I notice the culture here is very “price sensitive”.

By the way, for those who had bought the plants, are you satisfied? I am definitely a very happy customer. The plants offered by Tropical are very different, though the plants are very young, the roots are all well establish! This is what you are paying for, modern technology of cultivating plants, call the Vitro propagation or tissue culturing!

I am trying to pick up this new hobby, however I have difficulties trying to get plant hormones.

I stress again, I am not related to Tropical!!

Regards
    Gwee Sia Meng

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/6/2003 9:22:22 AM

Most of their plants are not available here in Singapore. In my own opinion they are doing us a favor by making it available for us here! I know what I say might here might not make sense to some of you here as I notice the culture here is very “price sensitive”.

By the way, for those who had bought the plants, are you satisfied? I am definitely a very happy customer. The plants offered by Tropical are very different, though the plants are very young, the roots are all well establish! This is what you are paying for, modern technology of cultivating plants, call the Vitro propagation or tissue culturing!

----------------
    I agree, but I believe this is so because most of the folks here get their plants from normal LFS (most potted plants are about $1.50) and plant farms such as Teo's. Therefore, a little pot of glosso-alike plant priced at $15 might seems rocket high for some. If some have checked out the other booth selling plants, you might just chance upon a small clump of 'peilia' tied on a little piece of wood selling for $200...

Well, for me, I get any interesting plants whichever I find it worthwhile. For example, the java fern 'philipines' from Tropica is truly an extraordinary beauty with its translucive and undulated leaves. It bubbles a lot more and looks much better than the normal type we got. The $10 spent on this small pot defintely worth a lot more.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Martin--

I'm already looking forward to the next aquarama, perhaps tropica (Ole ..)can conduct a workshop on the next visit?

Ken
    ...I love rubies too ...
    Ken

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It is pity that I totally missed the aquarama. So beside Aquarama, how shall we got the quality plants from Tropica? I believe that there is no distributor in Singapore so the only way is to mail order for Tropica? I really hope that one of the Tropica staff can answer this. Will the moderator organised a mass purchase from Tropica? I am eagerly looking toward this.

It is ironical that people spend hundreds on equipment and complains on a S$10 ~$20 plant is too expensive!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i had the chance to talk to ole pedersen and he was very willing to dish out information on the plants that was on display. he was also generous enough to give me two packets of plants that was on display.
    I found the tropica display to be as usual 'up to the mark'.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/6/2003 11:13:30 AM

It is pity that I totally missed the aquarama. So beside Aquarama, how shall we got the quality plants from Tropica? I believe that there is no distributor in Singapore so the only way is to mail order for Tropica? I really hope that one of the Tropica staff can answer this. Will the moderator organised a mass purchase from Tropica? I am eagerly looking toward this.

It is ironical that people spend hundreds on equipment and complains on a S$10 ~$20 plant is too expensive!
    ----------------
    I posted a similar topic Chat asking for a one time mass order for Tropica but looks like nobody is interested.
    Also, lets face it... Singapore cannot be compared to places like Japan, Germany, Hong Kong or Taiwan. They want nice plants and also want it cheap... So that why in the market no one is importing plants in from Tropica or HBD etc...

Feedback Score
    “I posted a similar topic Chat asking for a one time mass order for Tropica but looks like nobody is interested.”

For those who are not aware of regulations, please note that you are not allowed to send plants as and where you like. You will need a health certificate for the plants to be exported. Same thing for importing plants, AVA will require Tropical to obtain a health certificate from its place of export in order to ship here. How much plants can we hobbyist order? It is worth their trouble? Besides most postal services do not take plants, unless you go to cargo company like SIA Cargo.

In short, Tropical will need to obtain a health certificate (some one from their “AVA” will have to inspect the plants) before exporting their plants. + shipment using Cargo service only. Not Fedex or UPS or DHL

Unless Tropical is willing to take the risk by not obtaining health certificate and ship using fedex or similar company. I doubt they will put their company reputation at stake. For more information about importing and exporting plants legally please go AVA website.

So please note that bringing plants from other country during your holiday trip is illegal. Though the custom allow you to pass at times, this doesn’t mean what you do is legal.

Of course why no one respond is not due to the reasons above but I believe due to $$

Regards,
    Gwee Sia Meng

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I agreed with smgwee. Besides, they have to recoup some of their travel expenses.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/10/2003 12:07:18 PM

“I posted a similar topic Chat asking for a one time mass order for Tropica but looks like nobody is interested.”

For those who are not aware of regulations, please note that you are not allowed to send plants as and where you like. You will need a health certificate for the plants to be exported. Same thing for importing plants, AVA will require Tropical to obtain a health certificate from its place of export in order to ship here. How much plants can we hobbyist order? It is worth their trouble? Besides most postal services do not take plants, unless you go to cargo company like SIA Cargo.

In short, Tropical will need to obtain a health certificate (some one from their “AVA” will have to inspect the plants) before exporting their plants. + shipment using Cargo service only. Not Fedex or UPS or DHL

Unless Tropical is willing to take the risk by not obtaining health certificate and ship using fedex or similar company. I doubt they will put their company reputation at stake. For more information about importing and exporting plants legally please go AVA website.

So please note that bringing plants from other country during your holiday trip is illegal. Though the custom allow you to pass at times, this doesn’t mean what you do is legal.

Of course why no one respond is not due to the reasons above but I believe due to $$

Regards,
    Gwee Sia Meng
    ----------------
    Bro, just to clarify, I'm assuming that the order is done by legal means i.e. Tropica will send plants with the health cert. as per the requirements of AVA. We are definately not doing anythin illegal here. As for the $$ requirements,
    becoz almost everyone expects all plants to be the same in prices i.e. $1-$2 at most. It is close to impossible for anyone to setup shop to import plants from the other parts of the world.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Tropica plants available at Far East Aquatic

Tropica plants are now available in singapore at Far East Aquatic

check out the LFS list for details
    Cheers
    Boon Yong