Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: 1 week old NPT but very low dKH....need advise.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

1 week old NPT but very low dKH....need advise.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, I had a 20G tank using ADA aqua soil, power sand & bateria starter kit. Planted some glosso and abit of stem plants. Stem plants doing very well, glosso seems slow in root but looks OK. Performed my 1st 50% water change after 1 wk, added some anti-chlorine & JBL liq fert. After ~1hr I tested my water for pH & dKH for the 1st time. pH is OK at 6.5 but dKH is ZERO (the reagent already turned yellow upon 1st drop...I'm using Sera dKH test kit for both pH & dKH).

Curious, I test my tap water, and the result is abt the same. Can anyone advise me where did I go wrong?

forgot to mention, I have no fish in tank yet.

thx.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: 1 week old NPT but very low dKH....need advise.

Your KH is zero. Anyway, the pH and kH relationship will most likely be messed up because of Aqua soil

Disclaimer: I have not done ADA aqua soil

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

add sodium bicarbonate to increase KH.. can buy from supermarket under baking section. Make sure is sodium bicarbonate

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

alternatively can get kH+ from Ocean Free (abt $8 or so). they have recommended dosage but NOT ACCURATE. Likewise with bicarbonates. Do be careful, when you add them. Do not add directly to tank. Do not exceed 2dkH per day.
    Btw, when you do water change, do not add new water directly into tank. Put it in a dedicated clean (free from detergents and stuff) pail and mix with de-chlorine liquids first. Else you're killing the bacteria in the Tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by naz View Post
    alternatively can get kH+ from Ocean Free (abt $8 or so). they have recommended dosage but NOT ACCURATE. Likewise with bicarbonates. Do be careful, when you add them. Do not add directly to tank. Do not exceed 2dkH per day.
    Btw, when you do water change, do not add new water directly into tank. Put it in a dedicated clean (free from detergents and stuff) pail and mix with de-chlorine liquids first. Else you're killing the bacteria in the Tank.
    thx for the advice. I am using baking soda now. Found out that all my
    tankmates (shrimps & cardinal tetras) doesn't like hardness >2dKH. So, it seems fine for the moment...