3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Pearling or excessive CO2?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just upgraded to the pressurised co2 system from non co2. To start with i am unable to determine the bubble per sec because of the speed of bubbling. Just to make sure there is no overdose checked ph and behaviour of livestocks. Ph value bet 6.5 ~ 7.0. Its been running at this rate for the past 2 days and livestocks looks happier. But I had doubts about the light intensity. Not sure if sufficient. (Currently using 2 x 36watts @ 7hrs a day). So wanted to experiment by upsizing the lightings. Since i had a spare 2 x 39 watts blue light decide to add this on. About an hour later sat down to admire my effort. Noticed that several leaves had water droplets on them. Especially the ones closest to the diffuser. Not sure if this is what they call pearling or is it a case of excessive co2.

Whatever it is can someone share if there is a method of testing a balance between co2 and lights to promote photosynthesis. Because from what i understand from several posts in the forum Algae will be an issue in the absence of a balance.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Pearling or excessive CO2?

You will need to check your pH and kH parameters. Using pH vs kH chart, you can determine the value of your CO2 in the water column. The unit of measure for CO2 in this case is in PPM. Preferably 20 - 30 ppm of CO2 during photosynthesis is preferred. Also, get a lily pipe to agitate the water surface, as O2 value during this period of time is important.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by barmby View Post
    You will need to check your pH and kH parameters. Using pH vs kH chart, you can determine the value of your CO2 in the water column. The unit of measure for CO2 in this case is in PPM. Preferably 20 - 30 ppm of CO2 during photosynthesis is preferred. Also, get a lily pipe to agitate the water surface, as O2 value during this period of time is important.
    I thought it was a sin to have agitation of the water surface in the planted tank. I have been manipulating the rainbar till water surface is super still. Will the lily pipe make such a difference, Can i just adjust rainbar till there is some agitation?. If have to use Lily pipe how deep to position it?. Thanks

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Actually lily pipe serve the purpose of slight water movement from below the surface. It is not a sin to have agitation if you look at the amano tanks in the ADA gallery. Reason: O2 is part of the process of converting ammonia to finally nitrate. Little O2 could also attract BGA (in my experience)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

What's your tank size Octopus? 72W for a 3ft tank is good but for a 3ft you would need about 144W for moderate intensity levels.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by StanChung View Post
    What's your tank size Octopus? 72W for a 3ft tank is good but for a 3ft you would need about 144W for moderate intensity levels.
    Its a 3ft with 18in depth. I was guessing that as well. Thats why i have i have boosted the lighting from 72watts to 144watts as mentioned in the very first posting. But i have no confidence to retain the status quo as there are signs of spot Algae. So have reduced CO2 to 2bps with 72watts light.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Spot algae aka GSA[green spot algae] is something you cannot escape. Every single planted tank has it. You shouldn't worry too much. Clean what's on the glass before water changes and trim infected leaves. The higher light levels will boost plant growth to replace those old leaves.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I made the mistake of skipping the basics. Not measuring the ppm of co2. So its back to the basics. By knowing the ppm i can more confidently decide whether to up co2 or lights. Otherwise there will be just no end to the tinkering. Thanks for all the valuable advice.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

I have never meaningfully measured CO2. I just deal with the algae during WC.
    Even my drop checker is in storage. LOL

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I guess do whatever that rock your boat : ) if in trouble, always go back to the basic and the checks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Test Result : Ph 8.0 Kh 7.0 . According to the CO2 Chart the test result indicates that my CO2 level is low. I have increased the CO2 dosage. The question now is when to do the test again?. Do you think i should wait till tomorrow?. Now my concern is will my test solution last till the correct value is obtained thru this trial and error method?.
    Last edited by octopus; 22nd Sep 2011 at 19:02. Reason: Incomplete message

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Do you have a bubble counter? I think in general, 3ft given your lighting around 1-2 bps will be enough. You mentioned cannot count given the speed of bubbling means you pumping quite a lot of Co2 already, I do not think you need to increase the CO2 dosage. The issue could be making the Co2 dissolve better. There are different schools of thoughts on this... some use Co2 reactor/mixer, some use atomizer and some put the Co2 outlet near the inlet of canister filter. You can do a search on the forums!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

By the way what soil did you use? Any coral chip in your filter? Kh = 7 is very high
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    By the way what soil did you use? Any coral chip in your filter? Kh = 7 is very high
    Hope the soil is not the culprit, otherwise it going to be a nightrmare Horta Soil (potting) that some forumers has recommended for people with budget constraint. And also soil was topped off with 2 inch Lapis. No coral chips Bio rings only.

Bro Zonkie i think you have misssed my follow up thread where i have mentioned that co2 have been reduced to 2bps due to algae issue.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Measure kH, and pH

Turn on the CO2 at least for half hour before lights on.

Measure one hour before lights on. and one hourr after lights on

Measure one hour before lights off, and one hour after lights off

You will know

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Measure kH, and pH

You will know
    Ok will carry out the above and update accordingly. Thanks for your guidance.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If your plant and PH is doing well, I suggest your issue is not too much a worry, keep your CO2 bubble at 3 bubble per sec,
    Sign of CO2 overdose - if you have Yamato in your tank, they will be disorientated and become slow and retarded
    Light 3 watt per Gallon (approx 3.78Litres)
    5ft cabinet planted tank

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

yeah. don't forget the whole point. if plant is doing well, lets not tweak it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Measure kH, and pH

You will know
    Hi bro

Here is the test result.

On co2 1hr before lights on = PH 7.8, KH 7
    Measure co2 1hr after lights off = PH 7.8, KH 7
    Measure co2 1hr before lights off = PH 7.8, KH 7
    Measure co2 1hr after lights off = PH 7.8, KH 7

The reading for PH is just approximation due to difficulty judging color tone but definitely falls between 7.5 ~ 8.0.

Dont appear to have much difference in all the readings. What am i to make out of this. One thing i can tell is co2 level is still low (3ppm) basing on the co2 chart. So far every thing appear to be under control. But should algae issue crop up do i need to increase my co2 dosage?. Now is about 3 - 4bps

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Are you sure your test kit work? Try test distile water from guardian or watson, it should be around 7 for pH and 0 for kH.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast