6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Peat Swamp Trip in Johor

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    nice..interesting to know there are such places in malaysia to catch wild fishes..
    Aspiring to be.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Peat Swamp Trip in Johor with pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by royss78 View Post
    Continuation...

6. Blue Panchax - Aplocheilus Panchax with some snails.

Attachment 26139

7. Croaking Gourami - Trichopsis Vittatus

Attachment 26140

8. Ghost Shrimp - Palaemonetes Sp. ... I think they are not native to Malaysia but there were quite a lot of them there.

Attachment 26138

By the way, this place is in this suburb called Ponderosa in JB... just in case any of you might be interested to visit the place. Sorry I didn't document any water plants as I'm not that verse in it. Will do so the next time.

There you go guys... my next trip is going to this place called Sanglang in Pontian district about 70km away from JB to try and net some fishes in a ditch next to an oil palm estate. I used to fish for snakeheads there and was told there are wild bettas in that area so I might try it out. Hopefully can catch some or maybe some other unique fishes.
    Hi bro, thanks for the photo updates! Do the wild caught fishes do well in your tanks? I'm just afraid they cannot acclimatise to the home aquarium environment. Am really interested in making a visit down. Now looking for a day to pay my in-laws a visit (excuse to wife to go JB so I can visit this area).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
    Hi bro, thanks for the photo updates! Do the wild caught fishes do well in your tanks? I'm just afraid they cannot acclimatise to the home aquarium environment. Am really interested in making a visit down. Now looking for a day to pay my in-laws a visit (excuse to wife to go JB so I can visit this area).
    Hey Jon-san! Is good to hear from you mate! Yeah, the fishes are doing well in my home tank... except for the two croaking gourami that jump out of the tank in the night. Found them dead cold the next morning... it was really sad man... other than that everything else is so far so good.

Actually I realized that I was only netting the surface fishes and I haven't tried to net those that are at the middle and the bottom of the swamp because the water level was much higher due to the rains. I may try again another time.

Do let me know when you are keen to come down and I'll take you there. Maybe we can also go to another spot in Pontian, Johor this coming Saturday if the weather permits.
    Last edited by royss78; 11th Oct 2011 at 01:59.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by leefhker View Post
    nice..interesting to know there are such places in malaysia to catch wild fishes..
    Hi leefhker! Yeah, it was really surprising to find this place so near my house. I've always wanted to document fishes in my home state of Johore and is only recently that I'm able to do so. I believe there are many more different kinds of interesting and unique fishes that have not been documented yet and I think I'm really just scratching the surface. My only wish is that they won't disappear completely due to destruction of their habitat which is happening very rapidly in Johore.

Hope to see them around for many more years to come.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hey Jon-san! Is good to hear from you mate! Yeah, the fishes are doing well in my home tank... except for the two croaking gourami that jump out of the tank in the night. Found them dead cold the next morning... it was really sad man... other than that everything else is so far so good.

Actually I realized that I was only netting the surface fishes and I haven't tried to net those that are at the middle and the bottom of the swamp because the water level was much higher due to the rains. I may try again another time.

Do let me know when you are keen to come down and I'll take you there. Maybe we can also go to another spot in Pontian, Johor this coming Saturday if the weather permits.
    This saturday probably cannot, coz I've got my house reno to look into. Will be quite some time more before I can make a trip in. Will PM you again in advance when I'm heading in! Thanks, buddy!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
    This saturday probably cannot, coz I've got my house reno to look into. Will be quite some time more before I can make a trip in. Will PM you again in advance when I'm heading in! Thanks, buddy!
    Sure! No worries bro! Let me know when you are coming into JB.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I'll be heading in this weekend! Gonna go Molek for a haircut in the morning...hehe

Will bring a long net to the swamp if I can find 1! You free this weekend? Maybe can go check out...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by blurless View Post
    I'll be heading in this weekend! Gonna go Molek for a haircut in the morning...hehe

Will bring a long net to the swamp if I can find 1! You free this weekend? Maybe can go check out...
    Hey Buddy! This weekend which day? Saturday will good for me. Why don't we check out the place after we go Pontian. I'm thinking of documenting some fishes there. Let me know.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Saturday is fine... What time?? I'll PM you my contact to arrange more...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Hey Bro, messaged you earlier... do check. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

all your planning and pictures remind me of my childhood in Ipoh. My uncle used to have this piece of land that connects to part of a huge pond where we used to go catch fishes and shrimps. There were such a wide variety from the croaking gouramis, blue panchax, zebras danios, tiger barbs, some other fishes that I do not have a name for but look a lot like smelt with silvery long body, snake heads (used to catch the red babies when they surface in a school), soon hock (caught one with a net that was 5 inches long) and so many others. There were 2 types of shrimp, ghost and those that look like ghost shrimp but with big claws.

Oh, there were monitor lizards and snakes around too in the "wilder" areas.

However, the last I heard, they filled in this huge pond to build houses

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

its a pity with all the habitat destruction for developments...everytime I see them clearing away trees for development will feel kinda 'disturbed'...

Anyway, Ipoh is a beautiful place!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by Yany View Post
    all your planning and pictures remind me of my childhood in Ipoh. My uncle used to have this piece of land that connects to part of a huge pond where we used to go catch fishes and shrimps. There were such a wide variety from the croaking gouramis, blue panchax, zebras danios, tiger barbs, some other fishes that I do not have a name for but look a lot like smelt with silvery long body, snake heads (used to catch the red babies when they surface in a school), soon hock (caught one with a net that was 5 inches long) and so many others. There were 2 types of shrimp, ghost and those that look like ghost shrimp but with big claws.

Oh, there were monitor lizards and snakes around too in the "wilder" areas.

However, the last I heard, they filled in this huge pond to build houses
    Hey Yany, I can really identify with your experiences as well... I started catching fishes when I was still in primary school and during that time you can find even tiger barbs in the back drain of my house. My house was facing the army camp in the front that has a large pond with connecting streams... there were plentiful of fishes there that all you need to do was to scoop with a net and you're bound to get something. Today, part of that camp has been partition off to make way for commercial land. So sad to see all these fishes disappear just like that... how I wish there was something we can do.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by blurless View Post
    its a pity with all the habitat destruction for developments...everytime I see them clearing away trees for development will feel kinda 'disturbed'...

Anyway, Ipoh is a beautiful place!
    I so agree with you bro! Oh yah, I agree that Ipoh is a beautiful place too with very tasty food.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Aha i remember when i was young, i have so much fun netting guppies in a forested area in dover..but now it has a condominum standing on it..will never find such places in singapore anymore..
    Aspiring to be.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I so agree with you bro! Oh yah, I agree that Ipoh is a beautiful place too with very tasty food.
    You are so right about the food. Everytime I go back.... eat like there's no tomorrow. Wake up really early to "yum cha"

Aha i remember when i was young, i have so much fun netting guppies in a forested area in dover..but now it has a condominum standing on it..will never find such places in singapore anymore..
    I heard from another bro here that he used to catch fishes near thomson... needless to say, its all gone. I did a google map around Bt Batok once and there is this pond surrounded by trees not too far away from the Bt Gombak station. Quite near to Little Quillin but I suppose you would have to track into the dense "forest" LOL. Could be quite an adventure for the adventurous!!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Sneak preview!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318672923.847988.jpg

Will put up the photos of today's trip later...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Yany View Post
    I heard from another bro here that he used to catch fishes near thomson... needless to say, its all gone. I did a google map around Bt Batok once and there is this pond surrounded by trees not too far away from the Bt Gombak station. Quite near to Little Quillin but I suppose you would have to track into the dense "forest" LOL. Could be quite an adventure for the adventurous!!
    not sure if it's still there... Got HDB nearby and the path into that stream/pond don't know where liao...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Where is this place bro blurless? document any species?
    Aspiring to be.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Where is this place bro blurless? document any species?
    Hey leefhker! This place is Parit Panjang in Pontian, Johor. Bro blurless and I went over there this afternoon to document some species. I will leave it to him to reveal the rest of our findings.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast