Advertise here
    New Canon G12 camera:

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: "Dutch something or the other" 120 Gal

The plants are looking great. Colours combination is magnificent. One word - AWESOME!!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

your set up was real nice. Deep poision!!
    any dosage of liquid fertilizer? what fertilizer you using??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States

I replaced the Fissidens with Subwassertang for now, the Fissidens came in with hair algae and I'd hoped the shrimp would remove it, they keep it beaten back well, but.......
    I will make some new wood covered pieces for the Right front foreground and move the new Erio goias where the Tonina is on the Left, Downoi and the UG will switch places.
    I have a few back ground changes, the pantanal and the macrandra blend too much together
    Some I placed the moss in an emergent terrarium type of set up and then it will go to a dark tank for a week or so. Subwassertang is weedy also, but has a nice color and texture, and no algae.

I might move the Erios to the Toninia lotus blossom on the Left side and then move the Tonina to where the larger Tonina is now (and get rid of the normal Tonina).
    The new Erio Gioas will get good sized, roughly baseball size or larger. I have 6 now and a tiny plantlet. I'll thin out some Downoi and open that space up more next to the Subwassertang for the Erios.
    The Ammannia is hit or miss with some of the the stems, some are recovering and adapting well, others are not. I'll cull the nicer tops and replant in a month or so. The L. pantanal did this also once it hit the surface of the water.

I might consider Ludwigia breviceps instead of the Ammannia and perhaps find a home for the Ammannia in the rear.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

The colors are so vivid I'm in awe Tom. I could never understand the "Dutch garden" style, let alone come up with anything remotely close to this.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I am in awe... It is because of gurus here with their ever going passion that influence and kept me going with this expensive hobby haha

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States

Some changes I'll do in the next 1-2 weeks:

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

In US there is Cesar Millan the dog whisperer. So...Tom, are you the plant whisperer? haha...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States

Quote Originally Posted by barmby View Post
    In US there is Cesar Millan the dog whisperer. So...Tom, are you the plant whisperer? haha...
    I'm professionally a plant killer, weed control of aquatic plants.
    So this balances the ying and yang. Creation and destruction.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States

Ludwigia pilosa needs to fill and color up, I have a stem of L inclinata orange that will take some time to fill in, if anyone has some for sale, let me know.
    L pilosa is rare, so it'll be a couple of months before this plant fills in nicely.

I'm not happy really with the lack of red color on this right side. Downoi is out of place really, but I think if I allow it to grow out, then cull the small stuff and sell that and keep a more orderly row of larger plants, that will make it look better.
    The Pellia is cramped really against the UG and the Erio. I have not tied down the Fissidens on the 3 new pieces of small wood on the Right side there.

I moved the P stellata up and it looks good with the yellow and purple coloration. Likely will keep it there. More R wallichii will fill in the back, I might replace the normal R macrandra with the "japan" version.
    You can see the Anubias and Buce's spot behind the wood. I was going to work these on those 3 fingers of wood in the front Right side, but I think it's better back here really.

The Tonina Lotus blossom is a much better choice than the normal type.
    I moved the Ammannia gracilius to the rear, removed the Hydrothrix entirely.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Very interesting changing scape. Just a question, doesn't your fauna die off while you keep changing your scape? Ammonia spike?
    Aquascaper?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States

No, the filtration is a wet/dry filter and the water is changed after I redo the scape. I am careful about not changing too much at once also.
    Wet/dry filters are really good as they add lots of O2, which helps with any fish waste of plant decay or sediment mulm that gets pulled up and reduces O2 levels.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Plantbrain View Post
    No, the filtration is a wet/dry filter and the water is changed after I redo the scape. I am careful about not changing too much at once also.
    Wet/dry filters are really good as they add lots of O2, which helps with any fish waste of plant decay or sediment mulm that gets pulled up and reduces O2 levels.
    Thanks for your reply. I have been reading up in your forum with regards to hc planting. Very helpful.
    Aquascaper?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States

Front Left piece of wood can be moved and will be to trim off some of the Downoi

Below, I'll add a few more L pilosa(2 small rows) next to these 2.

I plan on adding more Rotala wallichii in the back and allowing the P stellata to fill in there, with the P sedoies coming around.
    I am going to make the Downoi a zigzag pattern and lop off some of the extra plants on the Left bulge there. This will provide more room.

I wish I could find a good home for the Erio goias.

But not in this tank at least right now.
    So that will be removed. I'll work with some smaller Erios from now on. These will go next to the UG and Downoi in the front.
    The open space where the Erios are now?

That will be a W shaped rug of Elatine triandra.

I have some R macrandra Japan but it's so similar to the normal, I'll wait and see.

On the side view, you can see the L pilosa, this is a nice plant and has reddened up, but it's never going to achieve a real strong red contrast I'm after.
    Sort of a nice orangy color....I'll add another 2-3 tops in this section

I have a few options coming in this week for the red plant in the Left side that's open.
    A ruby colored Persicaria 'Ruby' praetermissa, L breviceps, and Ludwigia senegalaensis.
    Obviously with more room, the dwarf lily bulbs would be an easy no brainer.
    They other idea was adding a lace plant in here to scramble things up with a nice larger leaf rossette plant.

I've gotten much better at replanting UG also. This is the best method to max cutting sales and recovery after pruning.
    I planted my 70 Gal woodagumi with UG for this reason.

More work and ideas to explore.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Looks like "LEGO" blocks.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States

The shrimp or the plants?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States

Still waiting for some red stem plants to try out on the Left side there, the green plant(ACMELLA REPENS) I will use somewhat like old school Dutch use Lizard tail.......but need to allow the plant to grow out more before making a zigzag line of it.
    Using it like that, should be unique.

The Downoi will be replaced by Erio Kimberly likely or some similar darker Erio rossette like plant.

I allowed the E triandra on the Right side to fill back into the the other rows more than this pic shows.
    I will add some more Rotala sunset and L senegalensis to see how they fit in the open section there.

I just uprooted so it's murky water.

Here's some shrimp attacking a fresh piece of moss wood I added.

Also note the color on the last L. pilosa(next to PVC water changer tip) , it's reddened up like the others almost.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Holy mother of pearl!! Thumbs up man. Tank looks magnifico! Applause!!!
    VSGenesis
    "The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control whether we are good or evil." - Oma Desala (Stargate - SG1)
    http://hisstoryimmortalised.blogspot.sg/

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Tom, have you changed out the rainbow fishes - which you mentioned sometime back that you might?
    Need something to scratch that itchy hand of mine.

Don't act smart. Be smart!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States

Still 3 Rainbows in there, cannot catch them easily.

I should get them in the day or two, I wait till night, then feed, then turn on the lights to blind them, then net them out.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast