Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: problem with taiwan moss and hairgrass

problem with taiwan moss and hairgrass

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi,
    i have a 2x1x1 tank with taiwan moss and hairgrass both have been there for a month but do not seem to be spreading can anyone tell me why
    tanks conditions- temp 28-29(i suspect its the temp causing the problem) lighting 1.5w/gal, Ph 6.8 and with diy co2 substrate gravel mixed with tetra initial sticks
    can someone please help or do i need to be paitent
    thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    These 2 plants spread and grow very slow..You just plant them so you must be anxious like I am when I start planting. Observe for 1 to 2 months
    Regards
    William

they have been there for abt a month already

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, fishyyy
    Moss tend to be slow growers. Maybe the temp could be the reason as you already know they are prefer cooler temperatures. Do give them some time....
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

thanks guys will update in abt a mths time

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I share the same feeling. But they are very fine plants... so their growth is not very obvious. I used to think my hairgrass are not growing at all... till I look at my tank pictures I took 2 months ago... then realised that they did grow. If you take pictures every week or every month... compare them...

Anyway, my case, I prefer slow growing plants now.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hairgrass need gd co2 and lights.if diy co2...i tink very diff.my own hairgrassonly take off abt 1-2 mths later.currently now in spreading stage.another mth i tink full liao.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    To increase their grow rate, I suggest you to increase your lighting. A month ago, I removed all my hairgrass and replanted them very sparsely. After 1 month, they covered about 80% of the original plot of 10cm by 5 cm area.

Cheers!

think will increase lighting
    but do u think the moss and grass can do in DIY co2

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Light is not everything...more light means more maintenance of nutrients and CO2. Screw up the balance and you would get a tank of algae rather than fast growth. Try to focus more on getting enough CO2 and nutrients to the plants and things should work out pretty well even at low light levels.

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually, I would be easy on the lights esp on moss. I've faced much problems with them due to my heavy lighting in my tanks. I'm saying this cos the moss that were shaded stayed healthy while the exposed portion turned brown quickly.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

ok so i will try to increase the amt of bubbles produced by the diy co2 by adding more yeast to the reaction right

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I put ricca on the moss makes them grow with less problem with the green threaded algae. 1st, ricca makes the moss looks bright and nice. 2nd, the moss is shaded from strong lights. 3rd, the tank is full of bubbles (which makes me happy). 4th ricca absorbes all those extra P04 and N03 in the tank (less food for algae! yeah). Consider this
    Cheerio,
    Sleepy_lancs
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    An afternoon trimming my watery garden is better
    then an afternoon with a therapist

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    sleepy_lancs,
    IMO, riccia in moss looks pretty messy and distracting while some think otherwise. One thing to note is that it's almost impossible to get rid of the riccia ones they start growing among the moss.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/18/2003 9:52:12 PM

sleepy_lancs,
    IMO, riccia in moss looks pretty messy and distracting while some think otherwise. One thing to note is that it's almost impossible to get rid of the riccia ones they start growing among the moss.
    ----------------
    How I wish that was true... I just had my ricca floated away leaving my moss behind looking bare Anyway, you are quite right about it anyway.
    Cheerio,
    Sleepy_lancs
    An afternoon trimming my watery garden is better
    then an afternoon with a therapist

----------------
    On 11/17/2003 10:42:36 PM

Actually, I would be easy on the lights esp on moss. I've faced much problems with them due to my heavy lighting in my tanks. I'm saying this cos the moss that were shaded stayed healthy while the exposed portion turned brown quickly.
    ----------------
    is it necessary to increase the amount of co2 coming into the water if so how should i do this in terms of diy co2? should i add more yeast to the reaction or allow the bubbles to stay in the water for a longer time before allowing it to come to the surface
    or what i really need is paitience

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Fishyyy,
    For presurized CO2 system, we try to aim for about 25ppm of CO2 but this is only supplied during the photoperiod. For your DIY, CO2 is supplied 24 hrs. Achiving 25ppm during photoperiod will be quite dangerous for your livestock during lights out period.

Do a pH and kH test to check your CO2 level. Maybe you could judge what to do from there.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

ok i will do the tests but how can i find out the co2 level from there

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Refer to Chuck Gadd's site for CO2 calculation.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

thanks