Country
    Singapore

Moss on backdrop

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone,

Just want to know how do ou grow moss on black styrofoam backdrop?

Cheers
    Vincent
    If you truly love Nature, you will find beauty everywhere. - Vincent Van Gogh

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/17/2003 3:50:57 PM

Hi everyone,

Just want to know how do ou grow moss on black styrofoam backdrop?

Cheers
    Vincent

----------------
    If tying is out of question, try stapling. Of if you have time, you can try the method adopted by Teo's staff. Spread them on the styrofoam and leave them in semi wet and shaded condition til they cling onto the board.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Bro just tie to the back board... can liao once they grow u cant see the fishing line anymore hehee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The teo's method mentioned by lorba I feel is the best and the results looks the best. Problem is that you have to figure out a way to keepthe mss moist all the time.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I am about to setup a moss wall for my small tank. Today will be buying light diffuser (Plastic square grid mesh about 1cm thick)... will trim it to size and profile of my tank display... Moss can be easily tied to it before placing it inside the tank.

tried the Styloform tactic earlier, very problematic FOR ME... the form kept floating and messing up my display, not to mention scaring the fishes. Will update pics later once it is done...

Also intend to plant APP or Elatine triandra to the foreground. Is slightly less than 2W/Ga. enough?
    Baby Steel!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/18/2003 11:12:14 AM

I am about to setup a moss wall for my small tank. Today will be buying light diffuser (Plastic square grid mesh about 1cm thick)... will trim it to size and profile of my tank display... Moss can be easily tied to it before placing it inside the tank.

tried the Styloform tactic earlier, very problematic FOR ME... the form kept floating and messing up my display, not to mention scaring the fishes. Will update pics later once it is done...

Also intend to plant APP or Elatine triandra to the foreground. Is slightly less than 2W/Ga. enough?
    ----------------
    I have no experience with a styrofoam backdrop. How did u secure it in the first place. My impression is you have to somehow gel it to the tank wall?

I find that moss that are tied to wood can be dislodged easily as they are more difficult to be attached to the surface underwater. The moist-emerse growing method actually ensures that the moss sticks to the wood and from what I observed, they seems to grow and appear better.

I think 2.5W/G or even 2W/G is good enough for most foreground plants like glosso, hairgrass. Of course, the tank height must not be too high. How high is yours?
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    lorba

I got the lfs people to do it for me for a charge. According to them, if you're only putting on the backdrop w no plts, then it's easy as you could just use black silicone to secure it to glass, and this is best done under clean and dry conditions (before set up). Hwr, if you're plting, then black suction pads can be used. In my case (4 ft), they have used 12 pcs of the black suction pads. It's a 2 pc thing... 1st you poke thru the styrof backdrop w a screw driver, then push the plug thru, then cap w the suction cup...and you're ready to secure it on the glass. Btw way, my 12 pcs cost me $33 ($5.50 for a pair). Good luck!

mike