Images
    Country
    Singapore

Wink Longkang fish brought me here!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone! Totally newbie in fish keeping, but has been learning the hard way for the past 2 months.

One day my 3y.o son brought home a bunch of longkang fish (mosquitofish) from his school trip. In a frantic effort to keep the fish alive, i started to research & buy tanks & equipments. In the end all of them died after 3 wks even with proper filter. But thanks to the poor fish, I've learned the basics of cycling, water parameter, ph shock, etc

Then i started 2 nano tanks, 1x 3.5g for planted only & 1x 5g low light plants with cardinals. On the 3.5g plant-only tank, i managed to grow the HC on AS well with DSM, but it melted a few days after being submersed. For the 5g cardinals tank, the fish were healthy within the 1st 2wk, but then everything went downhill & my fish died rapidly with rotten fin & fungus. Tried H2O2 & some medicine but it was too late. I guess it columnaris, since the last few fish died with badly rotten body. Tear the tank down to disinfect.

Hopefully wont repeat the same mistakes again & can learn more from the senior bros around here
    Last edited by hencpu; 12th Oct 2011 at 11:05.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Longkang fish brought me here!

Gee, I think I sound like a newbie who's trying to act smart

Didn't mean that, I probably got too carried away with enthusiasm while describing my experience

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You are welcomed to share your experiences anytime
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    You are welcomed to share your experiences anytime
    Thanks, felix_fx2

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Everyone has to start somewhere. My first fish tank was when I was 5, and I remember I kept Oscars with guppies in the same 2 ft tank. Needless to say, they were eaten.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Heheh welcome! When I just started , I added a flowerhorn with angels around 1inch. You should know what happened next

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks bros for the welcome & sharing your past experience

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Welcome man to the AQ family, most of us started out somewhere and experienced failures. Its where we pick ourselves up and learn.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I remember when I was young, my 2 ft goldfish many pieces in it, water so so bad I cannot see them. Then change water 100% tap water. At nite, off the air pump save electricity. That was 25 years ago.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jianyuan View Post
    Welcome man to the AQ family, most of us started out somewhere and experienced failures. Its where we pick ourselves up and learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    I remember when I was young, my 2 ft goldfish many pieces in it, water so so bad I cannot see them. Then change water 100% tap water. At nite, off the air pump save electricity. That was 25 years ago.
    Thanks, Jianyuan & fotoudavid for the welcome & sharing your starting experience.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Wah, many of you have been keeping fish for decades. Many things to learn from everyone here

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

my first fish i kept was the goldfish at 5 years old (gift from my parents who eventually poisoned me into fish keeping till today), kept changing the tank's water everyday
    Last edited by diazman; 17th Oct 2011 at 11:49.

Advice from boss Felix

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

my first fish is also long kang fish... i caught them in actual long kang in front of my house... LOL... i think it was when i'm around 6 years old?? LOL.. really bring back a lot of memories..when esp when i tried to catch the fishes together with my dad...

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by diazman View Post
    my first fish i kept was the goldfish at 5 years old (gift from my parents who eventually poisoned me into fish keeping till today), kept changing the tank's water everyday
    Quote Originally Posted by wongce View Post
    my first fish is also long kang fish... i caught them in actual long kang in front of my house... LOL... i think it was when i'm around 6 years old?? LOL.. really bring back a lot of memories..when esp when i tried to catch the fishes together with my dad...
    Thanks for sharing your experience

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

I remember I had a goldfish when I was about 4 yrs old.
    I fed him milk.
    It died of cause.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by hencpu View Post
    Hi everyone! Totally newbie in fish keeping, but has been learning the hard way for the past 2 months.

One day my 3y.o son brought home a bunch of longkang fish (mosquitofish) from his school trip. In a frantic effort to keep the fish alive, i started to research & buy tanks & equipments. In the end all of them died after 3 wks even with proper filter. But thanks to the poor fish, I've learned the basics of cycling, water parameter, ph shock, etc

Then i started 2 nano tanks, 1x 3.5g for planted only & 1x 5g low light plants with cardinals. On the 3.5g plant-only tank, i managed to grow the HC on AS well with DSM, but it melted a few days after being submersed. For the 5g cardinals tank, the fish were healthy within the 1st 2wk, but then everything went downhill & my fish died rapidly with rotten fin & fungus. Tried H2O2 & some medicine but it was too late. I guess it columnaris, since the last few fish died with badly rotten body. Tear the tank down to disinfect.

Hopefully wont repeat the same mistakes again & can learn more from the senior bros around here
    I share a similar encounter as you. I use to do a lot of net dipping in the longkang at the back of my house. Killed a huge portion of the catch most of the time due to blatant mistakes on my part but I'm a far cry from that now. Nonetheless, looking back then, it never fails to bring a smile on my face.
    Currently keeping large predatory fish 🐟

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by shawnmichael View Post
    I remember I had a goldfish when I was about 4 yrs old.
    I fed him milk.
    It died of cause.
    woah! haha

Quote Originally Posted by Shi Xuan View Post
    I share a similar encounter as you. I use to do a lot of net dipping in the longkang at the back of my house. Killed a huge portion of the catch most of the time due to blatant mistakes on my part but I'm a far cry from that now. Nonetheless, looking back then, it never fails to bring a smile on my face.
    Thx for sharing, bros