Thread: Riccia and Moss

Feedback Score

Riccia and Moss

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    To all experts out there!

I'm a newbie and I keep getting different advice on how you tie riccia to a mesh. Since they do not have roots, how to they remain tied to the mesh? Can anyone give me a detailed step by step guide on how you achive it? Thank you!

Also if i'm interested in planting moss (Java, Christmas or willow) do i have to attach them to a mesh too? Or do they have roots to plant them straight into the substrate?

Thank you for helping me this really silly and ridiculous amatuer...

(i've browsed through the gallery and i must say the green algae looks really beautiful...Can i buy green algae somewhere? Or do i sound more silly by saying i want to plant green algae?)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    No, they don't have root structure but they do have other means of attaching themselves to surfaces. You need to tie them down until they are attached.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You can use netting to wrap some riccia around the mesh. However do take note that riccia do not attach themselves to any surface no matter how long you leave them. The only solution is to trim them when they get too bushy or risk having them float up to the surface and retie them again. IMO, riccia is nice to have but a PITA for maintainance.
    Not much experience with mosses, but I think most people here use cotton threads to tie them to driftwoods, stones, etc (up to your imagination). Don't think you can plant them straight into the substrate though. For mosses, they will attach themselves to driftwoods given enough time.