5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Nana toxic?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I just read the most worrying thing.. Nana is toxic!!! Haha I just wanted to check with the more experienced brothers here with regards to this. I have quite a quantity of them in my shrimp and fish tank. Read that when cut they release a toxic sap that can kill the tank community.

Is this true? I can't say much from personal experience as none of my fish have died and I'm new to shrimp and have been having weekly shrimp deaths. Keep them because they are a hardy easy to maintain plant.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Nana toxic?

Not true, I used to have big clump of nana, in my previous tank and I trimmed frequently and my shrimp love sleeping inside those bush. Sometime they even went to scratch the newly-cut stem (out of curiosity?). In fact, soil is more toxic than cut nana so to speak. So go ahead to cut, cut and cut if you find it gets a little untidy!!!
    Attachment 26356

Feedback Score
    17 (90%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bluebubbles View Post
    Not true, I used to have big clump of nana, in my previous tank and I trimmed frequently and my shrimp love sleeping inside those bush. Sometime they even went to scratch the newly-cut stem (out of curiosity?). In fact, soil is more toxic than cut nana so to speak. So go ahead to cut, cut and cut if you find it gets a little untidy!!!
    Attachment 26356
    nanas' sap can be deadly to high sensitive shrimps. Thus you will NEVER see shrimp breeders keeping them. correct me if i'm wrong.
    Zack

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

This is the mixed information I've been getting from looking around on the web. Some say it's toxic some says it's not. I have a bush in my shrimp tank and many in my fish tank. Just want to know the facts and if my shrimp/fish are not in any danger.