2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Too much Riccia? And a snail ID

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, have been pumping ferts and lighting and CO2 and, as a result, have reached this stage of Riccia development. Does anyone have any good suggestion how I can trim back on my Riccia? I do not have a spare tank to bring out both the rock and the bogwood to trim. A bit of a headache now...

And one more thing, does anyone know what breed of snail is this? Just a common pond snail? It was a stowaway that I never detected. No idea where it came from, just that yesterday I looked and it was just there. Have not bought any new plants recently. Will it reproduce if kept alone, but with Zebra and Horned Nerite snails?

Thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Kill that snail before it multiplies!!

Just cut the riccia but you will need to net out the floating bits as trimming can get rather messy. Trim soon as the ones without light will turn brown and maintenance will be much harder.

Edit: just realize your actual question. I guess the only way is to stick your hand in with a scissors and cut. Can get really messy though as tiny bits of riccia will float all over the place. If anyone got better method I'd love to know too as this is how I trim mine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Too much Riccia? And a snail ID

Had the same problem, I did trim, but not often, and every trim was too little. Endup, few days ago when I bring the whole piece of wood out, the riccia was kind of too heavy at the top, the bottom part which had rotted give way while i was bringing up the wood vertically.

suggest you trim it before the bottom ones rot due to insuffcient light.

Off your filter,
    Ue the siccor dip in,
    Trim it to the shape you want.
    scoop up loose one at the top. replant if you want on other rock/log/wood.
    You wont be able to trim well when it's out of water. your log is too big unless you had another tank filled with so much water but you don't have.
    Newbie On The Road. Pull Me Up, Will Ya?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

yeah. my other tank is in the other house at the moment. I'm hoping the trimming can hold off until i move over there for good on friday. and silly old me went and packed my trimming scissors into my moving boxes and sealed it up completely. thanks for the replies so far. just hope the Riccia doesn't break off before i move.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Maybe you can reduce lighting period and lower fertilizers at the moment to slow the riccia growth. In real good environment with good light, they grow very very rapidly.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by blurless View Post
    Maybe you can reduce lighting period and lower fertilizers at the moment to slow the riccia growth. In real good environment with good light, they grow very very rapidly.
    yah, maybe i should, thanks for the reminder. why didn't i think of that? should have popped into my head the instant i realized my hornworts were outgrowing my other plants. zzz. *slaps forehead*

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

lol! I also just thought of it after you mention about moving house...