2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Whitish Algae Problem

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    So I just started a new tank this week, using water from a cycled tank. My tank is 1.5 x 1 x 1. Lights used are about 30 watts in total. I started dosing Seachem Flourish (about half a cap every 2 days). I have DIY CO2 in the tank as well. Using a HOB filter. Plants are HC only and some rocks from a LFS. I have some tetra and cherry shrimps as well as 2 ottos inside.

So within 1 day, suddenly my tank is filled with some whitish algae thingy. I've tried googling and looking through the forums and still can't decide what algae it is. Isit Green Water Algae, Brown Algae or Surface Scum Film? It is all over my HC, and it also sticks to the glass on the tank. Here are some pictures.

See the algae sticking on the glass?

I would greatly appreciate if anyone can tell me how to fix this problem as it is increasing annoying that my tank is infested with these. ):

Would a black-out period work? Or will it cause my HC to wilt and die? Or should i get Flourish Excel and overdose with it. I have tried doing a 50% water change but the algae just comes back.

PS. Here are two websites I went to read, but am still
    not sure which algae it is.
    http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm
    http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Whitish Algae Problem

I cant find the edit button.

Anyway, has anyone tried using products to reduce algae before? I went to Clementi 328 and found some products, didnt buy yet cause not sure if it'll work.

Baxter has a product called "Algae Away" selling at only $4.50.
    Dymas has "Algae Brusher" at like $8.80.

Anyone tried these products before? It is said to effectively remove green water and algae, at least that's what's written on the bottle. But I have no idea about its authenticity. I did a quick search and couldnt find any reviews of anyone using it on the forums. Has anyone tried these before? Are they safe for fishes and shrimps (the hardier ones like cherry)?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by paradox View Post
    I cant find the edit button.

Anyway, has anyone tried using products to reduce algae before? I went to Clementi 328 and found some products, didnt buy yet cause not sure if it'll work.

Baxter has a product called "Algae Away" selling at only $4.50.
    Dymas has "Algae Brusher" at like $8.80.

Anyone tried these products before? It is said to effectively remove green water and algae, at least that's what's written on the bottle. But I have no idea about its authenticity. I did a quick search and couldnt find any reviews of anyone using it on the forums. Has anyone tried these before? Are they safe for fishes and shrimps (the hardier ones like cherry)?
    hi bro. that looked like fungus. maybe there's something rotting in your tank. Im not really sure, have to wait in for the other bros to come in a diagnose. I have some white fuzzing in my tanks too. but they were BBA that turned white when i dosed excel directly on them
    Last edited by diazman; 21st Oct 2011 at 23:43. Reason: wrong wordings

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by diazman View Post
    hi bro. that looked like fungus. maybe there's something rotting in your tank. Im not really sure, have to wait in for the other bros to come in a diagnose. I have some white fuzzing in my tanks too. but they were BBA that turned white when i dosed excel directly on them
    I tried googling white fungus but I cant find any that is really the same as mine. Basically whatever is growing is WHITE. Not green at all. It grows on the glass as shown in the picture above. It is slimy and does not form webs. I have no idea how to treat this!

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Mind taking a full FTS shot and list down the tank specifications? i fear it maybe lack of water current flowing the tank

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

So I just started a new tank this week, using water from a cycled tank. My tank is 1.5 x 1 x 1. Lights used are about 30 watts in total. I started dosing Seachem Flourish (about half a cap every 2 days). I have DIY CO2 in the tank as well. Using a HOB filter. Plants are HC only and some rocks from a LFS. I have some tetra and cherry shrimps as well as 2 ottos inside.

So within 1 day, suddenly my tank is filled with some whitish algae thingy. I've tried googling and looking through the forums and still can't decide what algae it is. Isit Green Water Algae, Brown Algae or Surface Scum Film? It is all over my HC, and it also sticks to the glass on the tank. Here are some pictures.

See the algae sticking on the glass?

I would greatly appreciate if anyone can tell me how to fix this problem as it is increasing annoying that my tank is infested with these. ):

Would a black-out period work? Or will it cause my HC to wilt and die? Or should i get Flourish Excel and overdose with it. I have tried doing a 50% water change but the algae just comes back.

PS. Here are two websites I went to read, but am still
    not sure which algae it is.
    http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm
    http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/
    Hi can't help you on what algae or fungus you have but don't do black-out if you are keeping HC. It is almost as good as killing the HC. It wiped out my 2ft HC carpet when I did the black-out. RIP.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the tip. Im doing semi blackout. Like cover with a towel and switch on lights about 4-5 hours a day. I bought some algaecide and am using it. Helps ALOT. But there's still abit of algae growing. Hope to get rid of it soon.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

too much CO2 , not enough water flow

Do big WC, try put air stone and blast it all over. stop CO2, scrub the glass -> should clear in 3 days

black out helps but may really melt the HC

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the tip. Im doing semi blackout. Like cover with a towel and switch on lights about 4-5 hours a day. I bought some algaecide and am using it. Helps ALOT. But there's still abit of algae growing. Hope to get rid of it soon.
    Hi Paradox,
    I'm facing the same problem like yours. It started when I accidentally dropped some yeast solution from my CO2 diy into the tank. I think it's fungus. It's taking over my tank now. You mentioned algaecide. Can tell me the brand and where to get it?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I can't really see the picture clearly on hand phone, but it look like rhizoclonium.

Posible cause too little co2, low water flow, low nutrient.

Increase your co2 (too much co2 does NOT cause algae), check your nutrient, seachem flourish may not give enough macro nutrient. What is your soil? Give the tank and filter good clean up. Overdose excel will kill it. Yamato will eat it.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

never seen such white form algae before , looks like the mould it gets from dsm , did you make a bubble counter for your diy co2 as it tend release white precipitate into the water too