Images
    Country
    Australia

Has zebra plecos been successfully bred in Singapore

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I like to know if Zebra plecos has been successfully bred in Singapore fish farm? Someone mentioned that not all zebra plecos that you can buy in Singapore are wild caught.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I had been told that zebra plecos are being bred by farms in Taiwan nowaday. They are slightly cheaper than the wild caught ones.

I had seen what I believes to be farm bred zebra and there isn't much differences from the wild caught ones. But I suppose if farms starts to massively reproduce zebras, the farm bred ones will sooner of later be weaker and smaller than the wild ones.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi ikan, heard from gan that one of his customers who got his to spawned and got 6 baby zebra best thing is that the owner didnt realise that till he saw the frys

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/26/2002 10:25:13 AM

got 6 baby zebra !
    ----------------
    Simon ! I'll be setting up a Zebra pleco tank in my new place ! who knows I'm NEXT ! [] []

Akoh
    Safe Diving !
    Safe Diving !
    Seeking for the Ultimate Diving Adventure !
    - Sipadan, Similan Islands, Burma Banks, Palau, PNG, Raja Empat ( planning for June 08 )

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    allen, try a zebra in planted tank

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia
    Yes breeding zebra pleco would be interesting. The price will always be quite high because the number of eggs is small (around 12) each time it spawns.
    So what catfish that has been successfuly bred in Singapore??

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/26/2002 12:05:20 PM

allen, try a zebra in planted tank
    ----------------
    Simon !, " my plan " subjected to "CEO" approval , will be converting one of my newer 4' into planted tank ( for altum ), another 4' drift wood tank ( for zebra plecos ) and a new 6' drift wood tank ( for the remaining plecos ). Preparation work for the above is in progress ! well I'll give ur suggestion a thinker !. Man ! really looking forward to get started ! [] []

Ikan ! L001 ! plenti in the LFS and FF ! []

Akoh
    Safe Diving !
    Safe Diving !
    - Sipadan, Similan Islands, Burma Banks, Palau, PNG, Raja Empat ( planning for June 08 )

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia
    I have 4 L001 which I am trying to breed. I put them in 150 lts tank with strong filtration. Do you know how they reproduce eg where, how etc. Some people said it's impossible to breed them in an aquarium since they like to dig hole in a muddy river bank where they lay their eggs. We'll see if I can have any success. Nothing is impossible. And I am getting bored of my tanganyikan maybe I'll convert that into catfish tank so they can have more space. Also I can get about $25 each for the juveniles (good incentive).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/26/2002 1:53:21 PM

I have 4 L001 which I am trying to breed. I put them in 150 lts tank with strong filtration. Do you know how they reproduce eg where, how etc. Some people said it's impossible to breed them in an aquarium since they like to dig hole in a muddy river bank where they lay their eggs. We'll see if I can have any success. Nothing is impossible. And I am getting bored of my tanganyikan maybe I'll convert that into catfish tank so they can have more space. Also I can get about $25 each for the juveniles (good incentive).
    ----------------
    Ikan ! no venture no gain ! have fun ! and luck too! []

Akoh
    Safe Diving !
    Safe Diving !

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia
    Thanks. I also have 4 snowflakes catfish. They are only about 1 year old, I think in 6 months time I can move them to a seperate tank for breeding. I have more confident in breeding snowflakes since the ones that I have I got them from a friend that breed them and I have seen the set up. Seems like a barometer is a usefull instrument for breeding fish, species like catfish seems to breed when the air pressure drop maybe because it's indicate the rain is coming.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom
    I use plastic pipes for breeding these type of cats.
    They like to be able to just fit inside.
    Make sure the plastic is food grade and have the power filter blow past the entrance, they like the flow.
    Same goes for zebras, loads of water movement.
    Good Luck, if they breed you can send me some.LOL.