Country
    Singapore

Aquatic photography web resource

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

Here's a good website with a very good section on choice of equipment (non digital) as well as techniques on Aquatic Photography..

Aquarium Photography article at Mostly Cichlids by Vinny Kutty

If you guys know of any other good aquatic photography web site or articles, please post a link here and share.

Thanks!

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Aquarium photography websites

Here's some aquarium photography links:
    - Randy's Aquaria - Digital Aquarium Photography
    - Mostly Cichlids
    - Home Aquarium Photography by Todd Stailey at AGA 2001
    - Max Photo's Aquarium Photography Articles
    - pretty good article here about selecting digital cam's for aquarium photography. Has a useful table of suitable digital cams and updated to include the Sony F828 and Canon's 300D.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    This link to my web site, has several more listed:

http://members.cox.net/tulsaalstons/...iumPhotography

Bob

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Last edited by benny; 9th May 2007 at 15:58.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I thought this was interesting: ie: so that you can get everything in your tank in focus

The Hyperfocal method is a very, very important technique that doesn't work as well anymore on cheaper lenses (including the kit lens). More expensive lenses (even my Tamron 28-75) have distance markings on the focal ring. In any case, for a given focal point and f/stop the hyperfocal distance is the point where, if set as the point of focus, all objects between HALF this distance and infinity are "in focus." So, if you look at the chart for my Tamron on the DR, if I am at a focal length of 33mm (essentially a "normal lens" with the 1.6X factor), I would set the focus at slightly more than 8 ft. All objects from 4 ft to infinity would be in focus. If I had focused at infinity, objects would be in focus only to 8 ft. I would lose from 4 ft to 8 ft as blurry. My crucial foreground would be blurry.

If you look in the lens focussed at 8 ft, you might think that infinity or 4 ft would be blurry. That is because you are looking through a fully open lens - the equivalent of f/2. When you snap the shutter - your aperture closes and you get sharpening of the picture. You simulate this with the DOF preview, if you use it.

Many street photographers walk around with their camera set to a manual focal length, f/stop, and the hyperfocal distance so that they can pick up their picture and snap without touching a thing and not worry about focusing.

http://dfleming.ameranet.com/charts.html
    Here are two good articles on the topic:
    http://www.hoothollow.com/Tip-October2002.html
    http://dfleming.ameranet.com/hyperfocal.html

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:ebab9706f3="loupgarou"]I thought this was interesting: ie: so that you can get everything in your tank in focus[/quote:ebab9706f3]

The key to this trick is "distance markings on the lens barrel". Sadly, most of the new lenses don't have this feature.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah.but they can find the point to set it to using DOF preview.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

Usually, hyperfocal is a concept used for landscape photography where the distance are far. Most professional don't go around calculating hyperfocal distance, and I personally don't recommend that, since in terms of practicality, it's quite limited to certain use only. It is however good to know this concept.

I somehow don't quite agree with the author about not focusing the object nearer when in doubt about hyperfocal distance, but much further away. This would be quite a big mistake. Remember that a short lens like 28mm have this unique ability to magnify what is near, but make what's far away appear small. Imagine a bigger and more obvious stones at the foreground that is not that sharp? It's more forgiving to have small object unsharp, not the other way.

In my field experience, depending on what short lens I used, focusing slightly near to the foreground is usually safe to get most of the object sharp quite consistently and easily. With that, I usually don't have to be too concern about the technicalities, but more on the creative aspect of it. This works well with selective focusing too, even under dim light condition when DOF preview is a problem to use. Not sure how to explain, guess you've to try that out to understand what I mean.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just wanted to highlight this German Aquatic Photography site that's managed by my German friend Andreas. Now part of the site is available in English.

http://galerie.aquarienfotografie.ne...p?lang=english

Definitely one of the best around.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom
    I have been configuring my new site for the last 4 hours and it is pretty well ready to go, Freshwater section is in place but Marine still needs finishing off.
    Feel free to Register and begin uploading to the appropriate Album, any images in the wrong Album will be deleted so check your species information before uploading.
    You have 100Mb of space free, so get going.
    Any problems or suggestions please let me know.
    www.aquariumfishphotos.com
    Last edited by clothahump; 26th Nov 2007 at 18:36.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I cant understand VectraPoint's website. I keep getting more shopping links no matter which link I select. What am I doing wrong? BTW, I'm using Firefox though I use IE on and off when the site does not display well in Firefox.

SC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The vectrapoint link is dead and taken over by some site squater. I'm removing it from the list. Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Not fish fotography but a site I found quite useful and unpretentious for both newbie and intermediate digital photographers:

http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/

A good starting point: http://digital-photography-school.co...for-beginners/

Nice pic from one of the articles: http://flickr.com/photos/pointnshoot/70518248/

And another for the sillier side of the business:
    www.whattheduck.net
    Last edited by budak; 12th Dec 2007 at 23:22.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    cool...! very informative thread...! Shall start readding up and go trigger happy...! ;-p