Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Lets make a sump

Feedback Score

Lets make a sump

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, saltwater ppl, me from freshwater again trying to convince me self to try SW. Need ur coaxing to do it. Anyway check all round and unanimously u all experts say a sump is the best. Agreed but direct me to where to get the material acrylic/glass to make one me self. I think many trying this hobby will gladly heae u ppl's experience on where to get the materials. My qns did get answered in another forum i participate, but just the usual "get from acrylic/glass supplier" quotes.More info plse, thk u. Maybe u all could share ur experience diy one. This is the only barrier to my quest of SW. I know can get it diy from LFS but i think to ex for the materials used. To me a sump is a tank with partitions, filter medium and pump plus accesories. Thanks in advance.

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Pending on the size of your tank.. a sump can just be a 2ft tank.. with partitions.. basically, my sump (customized, btw) is divided into 3 compartments, first compartment filled with bioballs, second with charcoal and wool and then 2x1060 to bring the water back to the tank.. u can just use plastic strips or glasses to silicon it to the tank.. leaving some gaps either on top or below.. u can get acrylic strips from Bras Basah art shops... if possible, do consider a compartment for protein skimmer, that is, if u want to hide it..
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    what is the best way to make a sump without any kind of drilling (of the tank)?

what is the best way to bring the water down to the sump and yet will not cause flooding in event of blackout ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry, this may seem a bit off topic, but does a sump release unhealthy gases into the atmosphere? Because was thinking of putting one in my aircon bedroom.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled" - Richard Feynman, 1986. Rogers commission into the Challenger disaster

----------------
    On 2/26/2002 4:31:22 PM

what is the best way to bring the water down to the sump and yet will not cause flooding in event of blackout ?

----------------
    lsz make a diy overflow lor..no need to drill
    Acroporids and Tridacnids

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/26/2002 5:50:20 PM

Sorry, this may seem a bit off topic, but does a sump release unhealthy gases into the atmosphere? Because was thinking of putting one in my aircon bedroom.
    ----------------
    it releases nitrogen gas lor.. not ammonia.. dun worry.. hahaha...
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/26/2002 7:06:07 PM

----------------
    On 2/26/2002 4:31:22 PM

----------------
    lsz make a diy overflow lor..no need to drill
    ----------------
    was asking how to prevent flooding in the event of blackout when sump is placed below tank.
    But i got solution already []

Feedback Score
    Guys,Wat I wondeer is how u "bring-down" the water to the sump???

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    using gravity.. as i drilled holes in my tank.. and using 2 x 1060 to push the water back after filtering...

If you've got an existing tank with fish etc or can't drill a hole for the overflow for any other reasons, you can try making/buying an overflow box. Takes some time and effort to DIY, but as always, the satisfaction is always there. The overflow box uses a siphoning effect to get water into a box hanging on the outside of the tank, and gravity feeds water from that box into the sump.

Regards,
    Hong Yee