Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Can Echinodorus Rubin be grown emersed?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Can Echinodorus Rubin be grown emersed?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all!

I assume that Echinodorus species can be grown emersed until I came across an article in the net sayin some of them like E Rose can't be grown emersed. I wonder if Rubin, being a hybrid of Barthii and Horemanii can be grown emersed? A search in the net did not reveal much. Appreciate gladly if anyone can shed some light for me. Thanks!

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/22/2003 8:49:45 PM

Hi all!

I assume that Echinodorus species can be grown emersed until I came across an article in the net sayin some of them like E Rose can't be grown emersed. I wonder if Rubin, being a hybrid of Barthii and Horemanii can be grown emersed? A search in the net did not reveal much. Appreciate gladly if anyone can shed some light for me. Thanks!

Cheers!
    ----------------
    Can you show us the link to that article?

Most Echindorus grows in embankment of waterbody and experience dry out period, which means, they are in their emerse form for certain period of the year. Only some (which I have no idea) exist submersed all the time, but it is not surprising to find them able to adapt to dry/semi submersed form.

I have a big emersed E. Rose potted now. Rubin, barthii and horemanii can all be grown emersed.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    PM from joachimsim
    --------------------------------------------------------
    How do you grown them emersed? And when they are underwater..how do you grow them above again? my experience with my plants leaves that grow abv water..is that they dry up
    joachimsim PMed me the above question, so as not to mislead or provide wrong information, I will post it here. Please correct me if something is amissed in the answer. I've learnt some important points from mail exchanges with C K Yeo, Mr Echino!

---

To grow/convert submersed plants to emerse, it must be provided that the plant is a bog/marsh plant. Pure aquatic ones will not survive.

1. Cut away the big leaves leaving a few, then pot it in moist/wet soil.

2. Put the pot insude a container filled with some water.

3. Keep the container COVERED and only a little air holes for ventilation.

4. The container can be placed at a cool place with good ambient light. Kitchen? I usually spray water in to keep the leaves moist (When i have time, of course).

5. Throughout 1 - 2 wk, the leaves will all DRY UP. But if you notice now, the crown will have taken roots. Cut away those rotting leaves that rotted til near the crown.

6. Once you have 1 - 2 emersive leaves, you can slowly increase the air holes or remove the cover. But still, keep it moist or wet.

7. Take the potted plant out of the container and put it at a shady, non windy place. Acclimatise it to drier air.

8. Once you decided it is strongly enough, slowly shift it brighter location in a matter of few days. Monitor it. If the new leaves started to show sign of drying, put it back to the last shady location.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Some emersed echinodorus picture. Images do NOT belong to me.

Access image folder here

E barthii

E grandifolious

E harbich

E marblequeen

E martii

E osiris

E palaefolius

E paniculatus

E paviflorus

E radicans

E rose

E schlueteri

E subulatus

E uruguayensis
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Lorba!

Thanks for the helpful advise. Here's the article that I came across:

http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plant.../msg00070.html

It was an account from someone who wanted to grow Echinodorus emersed. The lfs supposedly quote what the nursery staff told him about E Rose's unsuitability of growing emersed.

I could not verify it and so it's better to be safe than sorry, that's why I hope to seek some confirmation from this forum.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Seems to me the LFS staff ain't sure what is going on?

But how big is the fish bowl? The echinodorus have a massive root system and it will be best to pot them in bigger ones. I realised that my ozelot and marble queen have roots running out from beneath the pot's water hole. I reckoned that the pots (15cm diamter) are too small, so re-potted all of them in much bigger ones yesterday.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Is it possible to use Hydrophonics ...Principle to grow them emersed not Soil..

Also how do you acquire these seeds of the marsh plants..Very curious have vegetable seeds come abt as well.

According to my reading...last time..marsh plants propagate by Seed Germination..BUt in the aquarium I don't know how to germinate new seeds for new plants...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey Lorba!

My pot is about 18 cm in diameter and 16 cm in depth. I got my pot from a nursery and I purposely searched for one without holes at the bottom.

I thought the plant must be kept in wet soil, preferably with a thin layer of water on the surface? With the water hole, wouldn't the soil be unable to keep its wetness?

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/24/2003 11:23:47 PM

Hey Lorba!

My pot is about 18 cm in diameter and 16 cm in depth. I got my pot from a nursery and I purposely searched for one without holes at the bottom.

I thought the plant must be kept in wet soil, preferably with a thin layer of water on the surface? With the water hole, wouldn't the soil be unable to keep its wetness?

Cheers!
    ----------------
    I genna warning when i tried to keep it wet last time... but then, was really wet. But then, the echinodorus are still doing quite well. I am using cocopeat and peat mix for my echinodorus rose in a big pot with holes. Doing pretty well with very red new leaves. The semi mature leaves are orangy red and the older one have red veins and red edges.

I am sure it should do better with the pot u mentioned. Actually it is not difficult to block the water holes..

In fact, I just bought a square pot with water reservoir today, transplanted my cryptocoryne wendtii tropica.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if you're going to keep a layer of water make sure it is at least around 1cm and put a couple of small guppies, then you wouldn't kenna warning lor
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/24/2003 11:53:33 PM

if you're going to keep a layer of water make sure it is at least around 1cm and put a couple of small guppies, then you wouldn't kenna warning lor
    ----------------
    The plants are in direct sunlight, wouldn't it become guppy soup?? I read that echinodorus needs intensive sunlight to have good bloom stalks and flowering.

I am also keeping some cryptocorynes potted the same way, doesnt look too bad lah. They still surviving under direct sunlight.

Anyway, if anyone has some E. Indian red or someother uncommon E. plantlets to let go, PM me.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    guppies are quite tough, keep enough water volume and they should do OK. I have a bowl with 3-4cm water and a marble queen inside, plus 2 guppies, works fine.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Roland,

Do you have any interesting ones to exchange?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have just started the collection not long ago, so I might not have anything interesting or uncommon

Current inventory :
    - Marble queen
    - Oriental
    - Rose
    - Ozelot 'red'
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功