Country
    Singapore

Need info on pregnant cherry shrimps

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

Need some help here. Very new to shrimp and can't seem to find much info on cherries on the net. I've recently found 5 female cherry shrimps carrying eggs in my planted tank. I've moved 3 of them into a maternity ward (basin with some moss and plants and small airstone). I siphon out the droppings and change water every few days. The other 2 are left in the tank for "natural birth", just in case the ones in the basin don't make it. Here are a couple questions for those in the know.

- Am I doing ok so far?
    - The eggs that they're carrying should already be fertilized, right?
    - How long will the eggs take to develop and hatch?
    - Will the mothers cannibalize the young fry?

Sorry for having so many questions. This is the 2nd time they're carrying eggs. The first time round I had 1 pregnant female which released her eggs in the tank before I could do anything and only a few fry survived. Would appreciate any info or advice. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/24/2003 1:55:08 AM

Hi,

Need some help here. Very new to shrimp and can't seem to find much info on cherries on the net. I've recently found 5 female cherry shrimps carrying eggs in my planted tank. I've moved 3 of them into a maternity ward (basin with some moss and plants and small airstone). I siphon out the droppings and change water every few days. The other 2 are left in the tank for "natural birth", just in case the ones in the basin don't make it. Here are a couple questions for those in the know.

- Am I doing ok so far?
    - The eggs that they're carrying should already be fertilized, right?
    - How long will the eggs take to develop and hatch?
    - Will the mothers cannibalize the young fry?

Sorry for having so many questions. This is the 2nd time they're carrying eggs. The first time round I had 1 pregnant female which released her eggs in the tank before I could do anything and only a few fry survived. Would appreciate any info or advice. Thanks.

----------------
    I seldom change/siphon out the water. You need not feed the shrimps as they will find food from the moss.

You might risk siphoning out the free swimming babies.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just found another one. Out of the 12 I bought, now 6 are carrying eggs. Seems like the chances of getting babies are much higher now, so I've released those in the basin back into the tank.