Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Bee shrimps

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Why bee shrimps die more easily compared to other shrimps? Izzit it is weaker? water condition is different frm our tank? Temperature too hot(mine highest is 2? or any other reason..... Like to keep, but cant bare to see them dieing one by one..... Any sucessful keeper or even breeder can share some tips... Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I have tried,
    1. Yamato
    2. Cherry
    3. Zebra
    4. Feeder shrimp
    5. Bee Shrimp

And I arrange them in sequence of difficulties according to my experience.

I can keep and even breed Yamato and Cherry shrimp...but has no success with Bee shrimp..4 died within 4weeks....I think they are very sensitive to water condition FLUCTUATION.

Same experience with you...I think it is the shrimp problem...'sensitive shrimp'

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    But, has the rest of the bee shrimps survive? Are they used to the environment already? I wonder where does these shrimps come from, mayb can study a bit on their habitat.....

Actually, how long can the shrimps live? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    nope...all bee(total 4) dead...too sad to try again...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Mine 10 pcs. Left mayb 2 pcs. See how long it can last.sob sob...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ya.. bee shrimp not that hardy like cherry or malayan shrimp.. i think temperature play an important part..does not have a chiller to try so dun really know..bee shrimp usually come from hong kong or taiwan if i not wrong and their temperature there is of course lower than our normal 28deg.. usually my bee shrimp slowly disappeared one by one.. however i still got two bee shrimp alive now after 6month.. now i keep more on cherry and tiger as they breed at my 1.5ft tank so dun have to spend any more money on it []

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/26/2003 2:49:58 PM

I have tried,
    1. Yamato
    2. Cherry
    3. Zebra
    4. Feeder shrimp
    5. Bee Shrimp

And I arrange them in sequence of difficulties according to my experience.

I can keep and even breed Yamato and Cherry shrimp...but has no success with Bee shrimp..4 died within 4weeks....I think they are very sensitive to water condition FLUCTUATION.

Same experience with you...I think it is the shrimp problem...'sensitive shrimp'
    ----------------
    you never tried malayan?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yr tiger breed too? wow, I manage to breed cherry. Now trying tiger. The bee shrimps seems to be stable now. Will monitor how long it will live....keep my finger cross...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/28/2003 12:21:44 AM

Yr tiger breed too? wow, I manage to breed cherry. Now trying tiger. The bee shrimps seems to be stable now. Will monitor how long it will live....keep my finger cross...
    ----------------
    I had tiger, cherry and bee, plus a sprinkling of malayan, they breed like crazy in my hairgrass jungle but the problem is only the cherry is breeding true, the rest becomes chap-pa-lang tiger-striped brownish/blackish shrimp and now I also have malayan shrimp with light tiger stripes!
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Wah better still got new spices....very interesting... I know yr photo taking skill is v good. Mayb when u free,can take some pic of yr new species and show us yr collection? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    eh long time ago I posted my "jaguar shrimp" mah. search the threads and see [:]

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    i have bee, tiger, yamatos and cherries in my 1.5ft shrimp tank.
    only the cherries seem to be breeding (breed true).
    the rest just hide and come out during feeding time.
    started with 10 cherries and 5 yamatos 4 months ago and when cherries bred to ard 50+, i added 10 bees and 10 tigers.
    1st 2 days, about 3 bees and 3-4 tigers gone. but things stable liao, no more casulties (that i can see). hope the bee and tigers breed soon. any bros hv luck with these 2?
    Cheers,
    Melvin Lim

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    for those with cannister filters, when you open it to wash, be sure to pour the water in the cannister through a net because I typically find around 30 shrimps living inside the filter, having being sucked into the inlet when young! Once I also found a Boraras maculatus (pygmy rasbora), don't know how it ended up inside [:0]

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    ... only the cherry is breeding true, the rest becomes chap-pa-lang tiger-striped brownish/blackish shrimp...
    ----------------

Choy..
    I have not tried Malayan Shrimp...too plain...in color.
    What do you mean by 'Breeding True'?

I have question that I am about to post...Anyway post it here...

I keep Yamata and Cherry together, both got pregnant...some time later I saw some small red shrimp and some colorless shrimp....Thought that the Colorless shrimp is Yamato...but when it grew bigger, I didn't see spot on them and see some peckles of red on their body...Could this be mixed breed between Yamato and Cherry.

My question is, can these 2 species cross breed? possible?

Cham liao, I mixed Zebra with them right now...will get strip Yamato? or will I get Red Strip cherry?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    unlikely to be able to interbreed, they come from different genus. as for most of the other small shrimps like bee, cherry, malayan, etc I believe they are varieties or close allies of the Neocaridina denticulata and from my experience at least the tiger and bee and possibly malayans can interbreed.

breeding true means you get offsprings that look exactly like their parents, rather than rojak.

Feedback Score
    I just bought 10 Bumble Bee Shrimp, 20 Tiger Shrimps, 20 Yamato and 20 Mosquito shrimps from lake aquarium. And 20 Malayan from Gan. I've placed equally in numbers into 2 tanks, a nano (<50L) and a 7 footer. In plants and condition has yet to mature but the water perimeters are as such :

1. 6.5PH
    2. 3 deg dKH
    3. 30 deg C

Result : All the bumble bees shrimps died on me. About 3 Tiger Shrimps left. All yamato and Mosquito survived. The Malayan ...well guess they are rather sutpid..heehee..they stayed near the CO2 diffuser during the night and about 50% got wipe out. All this happens in 1 week !

Where else in the 7 footer....Well what can I say.. saw the shrimps during the first half hour when I put them in..after that never see them again
    Some may have known that my 7 footer consist of mainly Discus and cardinals. No history of my discus taking them for lunch break but I'll hold back my statement....used to have about 30-50 yamatos in the 7 footer..after about a year...they all disappeared....

Anyway, I have never tried breeding these shrimps that is why the nano was set up. But seems that I have still a long way to go before these shrimps statrs to stabilsed in the nano...

If anyone have any suggestion, would appreciate very much...

Cheers Guys..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i think if the discus are large enuf, the shrimps will look very tempting to them. that could well be a possibility.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Last time when I keep discus, it will eat shrimps. So beware.... , put in a bare tank n u will see it chasing the shrimp....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Has anybody find a good method to prevent the initial death of bee shrimps? Wat precaution to take?

Feedback Score
    Well guyz, all my Malayan and Tiger shrimps in the nano tank were wiped out ! gone....walar...finito....errrrr...

But good news is that all yamato and mosquito shrimps survived ! water seems to have stablized...and I believe the brothers advised that temperature is the mainly facto for tiger and bumble bees shrimps key to survival. I'm not ready to chill the nano tank to 28C therefore the nano now is steady at 39C...well thats what the digi thermometer says ....

Will up date as it progress. Anyway, I be a little more careful and see if my discus is munching on the shrimps which I've invested in the 7 footer...its a hefty investment to me...to see if the shrimps survived in the 7 footer....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast