Country
    Singapore

Yamatoes eat X'mass Moss ???

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

Recently, I tried to grow some X'mass moss on my driftwood. It seems like the yamatoes always congregate here. Afetr a few days, it seems like some of my moss has been botak!

Do yamatoes nibble and eat the moss?? If yes, how do i go about preventing it??

Thanks!

Erwin

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, I tried to do up a moss turf and a moss driftwood, but was unsuccessful... Teo's guys told me that Yamato will pull the moss off and nibble it. He gave a solution for the driftwood: prepare the moss driftwood outside the tank. Only when the moss rooted to the driftwood then the Yamato will not be able to pull them off.

my mini Riccia was totally eaten by the yamato too... Befor the Riccia lawn can lush up, it was removed Bald by the shrimps... It will be better if the shrimps can be the maintenance crew after the plant established itself.
    Baby Steel!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Can any 1 enlighten me what the yamato or any other shimps eat as i just started my planted tank and do 1 to buy a few shrimp for my tank??

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/1/2003 10:40:38 AM

Can any 1 enlighten me what the yamato or any other shimps eat as i just started my planted tank and do 1 to buy a few shrimp for my tank??
    ----------------
    mad,
    Yamotos are mainly used for eating thread-like algae. Other shrimps like Malayan shrimps may also be used for this function. Cherry, Tiger etc are more for ornamental which may cost more.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Most herbivore shrimps (and other critters of course) will nibble on moss, algae etc. Once your moss is established and started to grow, there will not be any problem, unless, of course, you have a big fleet of yamatoes.

Something to read about freshwater shrimp in theKrib.com
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i tied my moss to my drift wood with lotsa black threads - granted some of the moss may die, but the surviving ones clung onto the drift wood - had about 30 + yamatoes and none of them could pull out the threads..hahahaha
    now the moss is already established on the woood and have covered it totaly in 4 mths