Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My next door like to put a type of moss to cover his potted plants soil
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Where to get land moss?

bro marimo, your terrarium in jug looks pleasant equality like fill up with beer
    lol thats a failure terrarium imo, i add too much soil medium, end up the plants a bit cramp. base is dried spaghum moss, follow up by lava rock, then river gravel. then active charcoal for odour. then planting soil, then spaghum moss on top.
    used small pieces of bw wood and senryu rocks for ornament.

My next door like to put a type of moss to cover his potted plants soil
    its probably spaghum moss.. especially use in orchid to absorb extra water. Its also one of the ava approved moss.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Live and growing ones? It's green and nice. If i not mistaken spagmun moss that commonly found is dried and processed ones. Like the ones I use in some potted plants.

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    Live and growing ones? It's green and nice. If i not mistaken spagmun moss that commonly found is dried and processed ones. Like the ones I use in some potted plants.
    Yeah I've only seen ugly brown sphagnum moss sold here, never seen green moss sold. Is green land moss sold anywhere? I think I'd be able to find them on the ground under trees like most have suggested but is it sold in shops?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I think NA opposite Thomson Medical Centre sells some Singapore Moss (aquatic version).

For free land version, you can harvest under shady trees, and parks.
    FYI, go for a jog/walk at the parks!

There are some big patches near Macritchie Reservior Park's grass patch near the bridge area. ( please note it is probably illegal to take plants / even moss from our National parks so please exercise discretion - if you harvest some, don't do it in front of NParks officers/park ranger.)
    5 feet planted discus tank, turquoise, melon, leopard, blue diamond. Two 1 feet Shrimp tanks with FRS & CRS.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I got a few questions,

1. If I have a friend who is going to Japan for a conference, it is ok to assume that any moss that he finds on the parks/gardens there will be Japanese moss?
    2. Can he sccop up some mosses, put them in a washed McDonalds coffee cup with lid, with some damp MacDonalds paper napkins and then will survive the flight back over to Singapore?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

There are some big patches near Macritchie Reservior Park's grass patch near the bridge area. ( please note it is probably illegal to take plants / even moss from our National parks so please exercise discretion - if you harvest some, don't do it in front of NParks officers/park ranger.)
    if they caught you, just drool and look in their eyes like puss in boots then say , I havent ate for a month

1. If I have a friend who is going to Japan for a conference, it is ok to assume that any moss that he finds on the parks/gardens there will be Japanese moss?
    2. Can he sccop up some mosses, put them in a washed McDonalds coffee cup with lid, with some damp MacDonalds paper napkins and then will survive the flight back over to Singapore?
    just dont get caught pulling off some endangered specie or caught by customs in singapore for foliage regulation act. You cant take a coffee cup on to plane. best bet is to keep onto body. ahem

I am trying to get clearance for these following
    Pixie Cup Lichen (Cladonia chlorophaea) with moss on bark
    Methuselah's Beard
    Broad leave (Platismatia glauca)
    Wolf Moss lichen (Letharia vulpina)
    Pillow moss - Found seller here
    Fern moss
    Juniper polytrichum moss (Polytrichum juniperinum)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benjidog View Post
    I think NA opposite Thomson Medical Centre sells some Singapore Moss (aquatic version).

For free land version, you can harvest under shady trees, and parks.
    FYI, go for a jog/walk at the parks!

Taking from parks without proper approval is illegal. Got grey-zone and green ones still run headlong to red?

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    Taking from parks without proper approval is illegal. Got grey-zone and green ones still run headlong to red?
    And just how do we apply for "proper approval"? And to who?
    If someone takes some moss from under a tree in a HDB estate or under some shady spot in a park, what is the "crime"?

To the uninitiated, they would think we are some "crazy" fella to collect green slime from the ground.
    For all you know, the park ranger may not even care that you are collecting some green slime, as it not not like you are taking plants from the nature reserve.

But maybe, just don't collect from Bedok Reservior park.
    5 feet planted discus tank, turquoise, melon, leopard, blue diamond. Two 1 feet Shrimp tanks with FRS & CRS.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

ops. my 50cents drops and slips inside the green slime everytime i pass by this spot. and the slime so sticky to the 50cents recovered.

they will be happy that we try to clear the grass for them too.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

some rules to read when in a park http://www.nparks.gov.sg/cms/docs/ab...TREES-SL-1.pdf , i think park rangers knows what moss is , safer to collect from hdb area

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benjidog View Post
    And just how do we apply for "proper approval"? And to who?
    If someone takes some moss from under a tree in a HDB estate or under some shady spot in a park, what is the "crime"?

To the uninitiated, they would think we are some "crazy" fella to collect green slime from the ground.
    For all you know, the park ranger may not even care that you are collecting some green slime, as it not not like you are taking plants from the nature reserve.

But maybe, just don't collect from Bedok Reservior park.
    Collect from places not managed by nparks. So simple.
    Trying to liaise with nparks can prove annoying, so I reckon the above.
    If from places like carpark , ect... Much lesser to end up getting in trouble am I right to say? Do a bit of digging and you might feel the same as I do.

FYI hdb estate and carparks managed by town council. No exact law state cannot gather, unless it's very bad and can considered as an act of vandalism. If not many old folks will go botanic garden boldly to gather "herbs" (of course they still go knowing it may be deemed as wrong by park rangers).

If still anyone try, just don't get stomped! "mad man gather slime at park".

Just my 50cent, I gather before at places I know. My nearby carpark shady zone & the AP as I know management folks.

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

just in case you dont know how the park rangers look like, they will catch you

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0...er_4_super.jpg

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by marimo View Post

This one will kick us not zap haha.
    "like"

I do recall got caught for cycling in too late. Never say what was wrong, going in late or cycling in jogging track. Only remember warn us leave or he will call police as we do unlawful thing.

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Nice "ranger" don't know how much they are paid for the job.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

But I honestly don't think they'll mind if you take moss from the ground.. It's just moss.. not some newly blossomed flower or something.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by marimo View Post

Hahahaha!
    While you are picking up the fifty cents coin, around comes green ranger to catch you for slime harvesting.

Just go and get some and then start a thread on your moss gathering expedition.
    For the naysayers who go on about it being illegal and so on, relax dudes, it's just green slime to most people, not flowering plants.
    In fact, if you ask your neighbours, most people will thank you and give you their green moss covered rocks / stones for free.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

AVA replies my mail

1. accompanied with a phytosanitary certificate from country of origin (plants and seeds)
    2. the plants are foliar sprayed with a fungicide and insecticide and
    3. the potting medium certified to be free from plant parasitic nematides OR treated with a nematicide and fungicide
    4. conditions (2) and (3) have to be endorsed in the phytosanitary certificate
    5. if the plants are CITES species such as orchids, catci etc, they need a special permit called the CITES permit to certify that they are artificially propagated and not from the wild
    You're right. Phytosanitary certificate is required for you to bring in the plants The certificate is issued by the country of origin or the country of re-export. This certificate has to accompany the consignments

basically any plants from wild cannot be taken in.. full stop

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Regarding this point, I was wondering if all moss in Japan, Japanese moss and all moss in Taiwan, Taiwanese moss? If so, we can go there, just scoop some and check into our luggage and then come back with them? Can someone confirm that all moss found in Taiwan,Taiwanese moss or we must do microscope stuff to check their leaves and things?

Quote Originally Posted by cdckjn View Post
    I got a few questions,

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

eh i think 'taiwan moss' 'japan moss' is just a nickname ..
    basically same as i say i grab a bunch of grass on the field. there are different species of grass type in just that bunch.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast