Singapore

Re: Where to get land moss?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by 1112 View Post
    Hi all,

there are either on slop hill (dry) and some patch on wet land.

the one on dry look like carpet and really thick and healthy. however grow together with other wild grass

the one on wet also look nice but the worse is with a lot of green line algae. and i can't help to remove that. the algae too thick. if pull out physically will tear the moss a part

i have try to put the wet in my tank for 1 week at low light with pure water only. they survive.... together with the green line anyway. where the pic above is from my tank.

all expert to ID if this is Sg Moss? or any other else do advice.
    I'm also interested to know the name of this moss.
    It's found usually between pavement stones or at the tops of the drains.
    My mom has a few potted plants with this moss covering the exposed earth.
    I have several strands in my fish tank, all held down at one end with a small rock, leaving the other ends floating up. They've been in my tank for a month now and still green and alive....even responded well to small does of Flourish Excel by growing 1 cm

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I am no expert, but it sure looks like Singapore Moss.
    For more indepth knowledge and reading, refer to the sticky!

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...highlight=Moss

Happy researching and moss gathering!
    5 feet planted discus tank, turquoise, melon, leopard, blue diamond. Two 1 feet Shrimp tanks with FRS & CRS.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

IF you fancy a trip to NTU, there are a tonne of beautiful patches of moss and ferns in the foresty areas. just don't go digging leaving holes in the sidewalk, go deeper into the foresty areas.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Can someone please provide tips as how to gather these Singapore moss? just pluck? or do i need to dig out the soil that is beneath them.
    From what i have learnt moss don't really have roots a little bit, but not essential for survival.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Twigster View Post
    Can someone please provide tips as how to gather these Singapore moss? just pluck? or do i need to dig out the soil that is beneath them.
    From what i have learnt moss don't really have roots a little bit, but not essential for survival.
    If thick growth, use penknife.
    Have gathered before like this, but end up still need to filter out the non moss.

I cut a section about 10x5 cm once (only once) it had some other plants in them that melted few days when I put in my tank.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

when you gather moss from around the garden or anywhere else, it is best not to take the soil as the soil normally contains a lot of "unknowns" that will potentially creat problems later on when you include into your tank. What I normally do is to soak the moss in water for half a day (flood of water) then put it on some wet tissue paper, try to remove as much soil as possible, then transfer onto some driftwood and tie with string. Wet the driftwood and slowly wet it over a couple of water, letting the moss get used to being submerged later. I have some success, but most times the moss "died" when it is put into the tank, either it is too low lighting or some other reasons. But I guess that if there is sufficient lighting, moss is the easiest "plant" to grow.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

hi there i'm a new bie in this forum but not in aquascaping. i've tried hc for foreground but due to co2 issue all of them melted away.

so now i desperately need singapore moss for 4x2 feet aquarium foreground

If anybody selling in carpet form i will be glad to buy.(wild form also ok)

Just pm me for cod near woodlands or clementi.please drop your number too

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123