Country
    Singapore

Juwel tank user - Pls Help

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Bros,

Any bros out there using juwel tank without chiller and able to lower temp?

As currently, I am going to start a planted tank using Rio 240 ( 240L) tank. If I am not wrong I need 4 tubing of 38W lighting. How to fix the fan, if I need to lower temp as space are limited?

Pls help & many thanks.

Cheers
    Cheers
    CFP

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    fleekk

You're not alone in this...

I set up my Juwel Rio 240 2 wks ago and had the same problem. With just 2 tubes, I'm already on a high 31 degrees C. I don't think you can add another 2 tubes because Rio 240 doesn't allow this expansion, unlike Rio 300 & 400 (due to its small witdh).

As you know, Juwel comes w 2 original tubes - a warm white and a cool day light tube. You should change the warm white to either a daylight tube or a plant light tube. Warm white is not a plant light. You could reduce the amt of heating just by doing that. Other than this, there is the option of drilling holes on the back flap, say 6 holes on the far left and right (this way it will look neat). The same could be done on the front flap. I'm sure the extra ventilation would give you the cooling effect. I'm thinking of doing just this, but it may be wise to wait till the warranty expires as I don't whether such tempering will invalidate the warranty.

Good luck!

mike

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually some ppl is still advocating using warm white light together with a daylight tubes for planted tank. Warm white light contains lots of the red spectrum which plants uses for photosynthesis. E.g. Dennerle Trocal plant tubes have colour temperature of 3000K.

Personally I have used a mixed of 3000K and 6000K with good results.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/28/2003 10:49:40 AM

Actually some ppl is still advocating using warm white light together with a daylight tubes for planted tank. Warm white light contains lots of the red spectrum which plants uses for photosynthesis. E.g. Dennerle Trocal plant tubes have colour temperature of 3000K.

Personally I have used a mixed of 3000K and 6000K with good results.

BC
    ----------------

Hi Bro BC,

Are you saying you are using the dennerle plant tube for your juwel tank? Just 2 only? Is it true that the heat produce is much lesser?

Pls enlighten.

Many thanks.

Hi Bro Mike,

So how many tube are you using now? 2?

Cheers
    Cheers
    CFP

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/29/2003 10:52:42 PM

Hi Bro BC,

Are you saying you are using the dennerle plant tube for your juwel tank? Just 2 only? Is it true that the heat produce is much lesser?

Pls enlighten.

Many thanks.

----------------
    I am not using a Juwel tank. I was just tryiung to say that warm white tubes can still be used for planted tanks.

I don't think Dennerle tubes will produced less heat than others. Actually I did not find too much difference in the Dennerle tube from other normal ones.

I think 2x38W would be quite sufficient for your plants. But you need to keep your temp down.

I have seen people removing the flaps from Juwel Rio tanks and attach a fan at the back of the tank blowing downwards.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    fleekk

The generally accepted guideline w regard to light/ plants is:

1 tube - low light
    2 tubes - medium "
    3 tubes - bright "
    5 tubes - very bright "

I'm also using Rio 240 l (121 X 55 X 41 cm). By simple calculation, we're getting abt 1.2 WPG, which is below the 2-3 WPG targetted wattage for planted tanks. However, because of its small ht and the good reflectors, the tank does look much brighter than my other 2 ft tank w 2 WPG light. I would put light level in the medium plus range.

For Rio 240, the only option of increasing light intensity is to use overhead/ sit atop aquarium lamps, either single-tube or double-tube type. I expect the extra heat to be countered by the ventilation achievable w sit-atop lamps by virtue of the raised ht. Keep in mind that removing the flaps to put sit-atop lamps is gonna spoil the aesthetic appeal of Juwel tanks. This is one reservation I have w using sit-atop lamps right now. I will stick to 2 tubes and be selective on the type of plts I grow for now.

I may consider drilling holes to the flaps once I'm sure there is no leakage problems w my tank.

bclee

Fish aside, how adversely does a higher temp of 31 deg C affect plt growth?

Do you think a tank w 2 tubes giving med light warrants CO2 infusion... say at 1 bubble per minute? I'm planning on getting one soon. My plt profile is as follows...

1 giant Anubias (on bogwood)
    2 pots of hygrophila difformis
    1 pot of vallesniria (tape grass)
    1 pot of Amazon sword plt
    2 windelov ferns (on bogwood)
    1 Java fern (on bogwood)
    5 bunches of anubias barteri nana
    5 pots of echinodorus tenellus
    A sparsely planted backdrop of Java ferns

mike

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/1/2003 12:25:40 PM

bclee

Fish aside, how adversely does a higher temp of 31 deg C affect plt growth?

Do you think a tank w 2 tubes giving med light warrants CO2 infusion... say at 1 bubble per minute? I'm planning on getting one soon. My plt profile is as follows...

1 giant Anubias (on bogwood)
    2 pots of hygrophila difformis
    1 pot of vallesniria (tape grass)
    1 pot of Amazon sword plt
    2 windelov ferns (on bogwood)
    1 Java fern (on bogwood)
    5 bunches of anubias barteri nana
    5 pots of echinodorus tenellus
    A sparsely planted backdrop of Java ferns

mike

----------------
    At higher temperate, plants metabolise fasters, thus demanding more energy. Plants generate energy by photosynthesis. If plant cannot photosynthesis enough to cope with the energy demand, they will just simply melt away. Therefore, if you can provide more CO2, they can photosythesis slightly more, and help them to cope with higher temperature.

Those plants you are keeping now are quite hardy and can tolerate low light and slightly higher temperature. You may not face so much problem with temperature compared to more light demanding and temperature sensitive plants.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm, make sense. At higher temp, metabolic rate increases, including decay of matters...just as food go bad faster during a hot day.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Bro Mike,

I have done a set up with 1 standing PL light set 38w x 2, change the original juwel light system with 2 x 38w Arcadia daylight tube. 1 fan set nicely below the light stand, flush nicely.

If you want pics, give me your email, I do not know how to attach it here.

I guess for the benefit of the plants & to get most range of plants, got to do away with the flaps & tidyness.

Cheers
    Cheers
    CFP

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi fleekk

Glad to know you finally got your acts together. A picture would be nice!
    Pls check your PM.

mike

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/1/2003 3:46:46 PM

hi fleekk

Glad to know you finally got your acts together. A picture would be nice!
    Pls check your PM.

mike
    ----------------
    Hi Bro,

My PM is lock, leh.

Y not SMS me 9673 1808.

Cheers
    CFP