Country
    Singapore

Enquiry : Clown Loaches...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Forummers,

1) Can anyone advice what's the food of big Clown Loaches? What they usually feed?

2) Can anyone advice how to quickly grow clown loaches? I tried feeding the smaller (2") clown loaches frozen blood worms and cutted prawns meat. After a few months, they still very tiny leh... How to grow them?

3) Some of my clown loach grow in length, some grown in 'height' (ie grid). Those that grow in grid look much more nicer. I wonder how to make them grow in grid?

Many Thanks,
    Melvin

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Enquiry : Clown Loaches...

From what I found out from the net, indeed growing very slow haha.

some info :

Common Name/s: Clown Loach

Scientific name: Botia macracanthus

Family: Cobitidae

Origin: Indonesia, Sumatra, Borneo

Maximum Size: 12" (generally smaller).

Care: A hardy Botia that demands little. Be sure to buy a group as they are a very social fish. Four or more is best. A nice peaceful Loach suitable for nearly all peaceful community tanks. A tank of at least 55gallons is recommended.

Feeding: Will accept most foods. Be sure to feed frozen foods too.
    Getting poison everyday

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Any other opinion? Please contribute/ advice? Many Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

my clown loaches feeds on my ramshorn snails thats multiplying from my guppy/"wannabe planted" tank as well as algae wafers and they even eat my crawfish food. they seem fine, but loaches are known to grow really slowly. just be patient lo?
    i wonder they eat those feeder prawns anot :/ hahahahhaha mines too small to test if big botia eats them.

Low tech tank FTW!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

1) depending on what fishes you comm with your clown loaches, market prawns is fine if you are keeping with arowanas and/or rays.
    2) clown loaches grow extremely slow, there's no fast track to pump them as with other fishes. if you can't wait, you are probably better off buying giant loaches straight off the shops.
    3) u meant grow in girth? feeding high protein diet should do the trick. market prawns is one such option.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

They are very very slow growing. I had one that grew an inch over 1-2 years I think.

They will take most sinking foods. You can try earthworm pellets for a high protein diet, if market prawn is not suitable for your purposes. Mine was fed on tubifex worm, frozen bloodworm and the occasional angelfish fry because it was kept in a tank with a breeding pair of angelfish.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I fed them everyday. Morning and Night time. Had them for around 2-3mths. I see some girth very big, some grow longer. I wonder how to grow them in girth. All my clown loaches share the same food. Consist of prawn meat (if no buy feeder prawns), Or feeder prawns (they dun seem gobble the prawn meat anymore), I also feed them tetra bits & blood parrot sinking pellets. Here's some photos to share.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Nice photos Melvin. Is this a loach-only tank? That Yasuhikotakia modesta is looking great. :thumbsup:

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    Nice photos Melvin. Is this a loach-only tank? That Yasuhikotakia modesta is looking great. :thumbsup:
    "Yasuhikotakia modesta", is it the Thailand Red Tail Loach? Heard from shop the fish from Thailand. That particular fish like to rest outside the cave. At first, I think he's guarding a nest. But after prolong observation, he just like to laid outside the cave.

In my 3fts x 1.5fts x 1.5fts take, my main occupant is loaches. Mostly clown loaches, follow by Thailand Red Tail loach and then afew strip loaches. Not sure what's their common name. I also have 10pcs dollar, 2pcs kong ming, 1pc tin foil barb and 1pc tyre eel, 2pcs black ghost knife fish. My Silver Dollar and Kong Ming was tiny when puchase. Now too big and it's time to sell off. My 3fts tank not able to house them for long... =(

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

It's commonly called the orange-finned loach, or blue loach because sometimes they are dyed for the aquarium trade. The actual "Thai Red Tail" is probably the red tail black shark or Epalzeorhynchos bicolor. These guys are beautiful with black bodies and a bright red tail but are very aggressive towards similar-looking fish.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I think I recall "Blue Loach" this name. Yeah, you are correct. Here's another one. (See below photo) The guard cave blue loach still guarding it's cave as of now! haha.