11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Anyone keeping mudskippers..?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Mudskippers! Very interesting... Went to Sugei Buloh last year and saw adult ones. Is it possible to breed them?
    Fancy Guppies: Many cute ones. Live Fish Fry Cultures: Microworms, Grindal worms & Vinegar eels.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thought it would be useful to share a couple of links about mudskippers. Doesn't talk about keeping them in aquariums, but more for the sake of showing the range of shapes, sizes, and habits among the different species.

Wild Fact Sheets: A list of mudskipper species found in Singapore. If the ones that we find in the LFS are indeed Periophthalmus novemradiatus, then this species is also found in coastal areas all over Singapore, including near the granite breakwaters at beaches like East Coast Park and Siloso.

The mudskipper website

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for sharing the urls!
    Fancy Guppies: Many cute ones. Live Fish Fry Cultures: Microworms, Grindal worms & Vinegar eels.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

For people intending to attempt at breeding mudskippers, see this thread on another forum:

http://www.thereefuge.com/board/thre...skippers.1744/

The hobbyist has replicated the tidal system and has successfully spawned his mudskippers. No updates on the fry yet but seeing his setup gave me some ideas.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...-solution.html

This thread shows a mudskipper paludarium build from scratch.
    Last edited by stormhawk; 31st Mar 2012 at 06:43.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

tats sick lol

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Oh Wow..! I wish I saw that video when I had my muddies with me. That's an awesome setup and a very clever way to mimic the tidal pools! Excellent! Maybe I'll try those mudskippers again in future with a similar setup. It does seem like the substrate he employs in his tank is quite important and that normal sand just wont do. Where can we actually buy mangrove sand/mud/silt here in Singapore?
    Setup: ADA Cube Garden 45-P, Starlitz Clear 45, Eheim Aquacompact 40
    Layout/Hardscape: ADA Amazonia Powder Soil, Borneowild Rutsuuddo Wood (SS Root Type)
    Fauna: Apisto Trifasciata, Sundadanio Axelrodi (Blue), Yamato Shrimp

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Collect muck from the mangroves and mix with the typical sand substrates we have?

He actually placed a piece of glass to make sure that the sand in the land area does not fully collapse into the water zone. According to him, the crucial element is ensure that the substrate turns anoxic. Which is why the muck from the bottom has a different color from the top layer.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I don't know if it is similar but if you are friendly with the vegetable seller in the wet market, ask him for the mud that he/she scrapes off the lotus roots before being sold. It would not be very much per day so you need to collect over a couple of days. I got some to plant lotus and when I discarded the stuff when the lotus died (not enough sun), it really stank, just like the tidal mangrove mud smell.

It is pond mud but may work. If keen, you might want to start collecting. I noticed lotus roots being sold nicely cleaned and shrink-wrapped, even in wet markets.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I am planning to get some mudskippers...however can they jump out of the tank?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Definitely been some time since this thread was started. Anyhow, the answer is a firm, yes. They can climb very well and will jump. A solid cover is absolutely needed.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk
    Setup: ADA Cube Garden 45-P, Starlitz Clear 45, Eheim Aquacompact 40
    Layout/Hardscape: ADA Amazonia Powder Soil, Borneowild Rutsuuddo Wood (SS Root Type)
    Fauna: Apisto Trifasciata, Sundadanio Axelrodi (Blue), Yamato Shrimp

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Saw two tanks of mudskippers at Rainbow Aquarium @ Sungei Tengah today. Very interesting to observe. Selling for one green note each.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi chinsm, Rainbow got sell mudskippers le? Been there a few times but never see...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

you can check with green emerald, seen those there few times before

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I was there 2 days ago but did not see any mudskippers..asked the staff there they also say dun have wor...

Quote Originally Posted by chinsm View Post
    Saw two tanks of mudskippers at Rainbow Aquarium @ Sungei Tengah today. Very interesting to observe. Selling for one green note each.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Does anybody use turtle bank for mudskippers? What brand is recommended? I am actually looking at Zoo-Med...duno here Singapore got sell anot...coz I only see before Exo-Terra and Penn Plax brands

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by saturnz17 View Post
    I was there 2 days ago but did not see any mudskippers..asked the staff there they also say dun have wor...
    As you go in the shop, walk to the end where the big community tank is and turn right

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I think I did see a Zoo-Med turtle basking area at C328 outside the shop at the racks etc. You can keep them with a partial "land" area but they will not breed in such setups.

Found this clip on Youtube, so you have a rough idea on how to set up a tank for them. These fish do not really like to spend a lot of time in the water.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Was at Rainbow Aquarium yesterday, I finally saw a tank of mudskippers...actually are they mudskippers? They are very small and also fully submerged in water, did not have any land for them to climb...tot of getting 1 or 2 ... keke
    Or are they gobies and not mudskipper?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by saturnz17 View Post
    Was at Rainbow Aquarium yesterday, I finally saw a tank of mudskippers...actually are they mudskippers? They are very small and also fully submerged in water, did not have any land for them to climb...tot of getting 1 or 2 ... keke
    Or are they gobies and not mudskipper?
    If the tank has no dry land for them to climb on and everything is fully submerged, then those are gobies... most likely the Stiphodon genus freshwater gobies (seems like they are "in season", as most LFS are stocking them now).

If you get those type of gobies, they are specialized algae and bio-film eaters so best to be introduced into a mature established (preferably algae filled) tank.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hmm..anyway I already bot 2 yesterday.. I guess they are really gobies although mudskippers also belong to Gobiidae family...they also have similar colour like the muds..light to dark brown in colour...

I have setup partial water partial land for them and it really seems that they only submerge fully in water... sigh... it seems like it's very hard to find mudskippers nowadays...

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    If the tank has no dry land for them to climb on and everything is fully submerged, then those are gobies... most likely the Stiphodon genus freshwater gobies (seems like they are "in season", as most LFS are stocking them now).

If you get those type of gobies, they are specialized algae and bio-film eaters so best to be introduced into a mature established (preferably algae filled) tank.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast