Country
    Singapore

Re: The Hastatus Century Club

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    @ralliart12,

Since the Bakto Tabs are medicated food, you should not feed them to your fish unless necessary. The "Guard" part in Garlic Guard probably has no significance whatsoever. Garlic probably has a capability to kill internal parasites, though how true this is, I don't know. I guess the active ingredient in garlic has a role to play. I don't think Sera O-Nip contains garlic, but probably something else that is capable of attracting fishes en masse, like a chemical additive. There are fishes which are easily baited with a piece of rotting meat, so I guess whatever Sera added, mimics that "stink". My fishes in the community tank only get live tubifex once a week as a treat, which is probably why they are still interested in the Carnivore Tabs. They get about 10-12 tablets every day and have no interest in other tablet foods. So far, the rams and the Oryzias woworae are spawning on that diet.

@vannel

It's a pity to hear that. I'd suggest that you quarantine any plants in the future, just in case. I found this out the hard way too after 2 nymphs destroyed my shrimps.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yep. I thought I gave the plant a long enough soak in the tub. Apparently the next time I'll have to quarantine plants for > 2 weeks before introducing into my tank. I think I've already caught about 5-6 of those nymphs already. Hopefully this is the end of their destruction. I have fry in the tank I need to worry about..
    Setup: ADA Cube Garden 45-P, Starlitz Clear 45, Eheim Aquacompact 40
    Layout/Hardscape: ADA Amazonia Powder Soil, Borneowild Rutsuuddo Wood (SS Root Type)
    Fauna: Apisto Trifasciata, Sundadanio Axelrodi (Blue), Yamato Shrimp

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Sharing some photos of my current setup:

Quote Originally Posted by vannel View Post
    ...I think I've already caught about 5-6 of those nymphs already...
    I'm curious: how do you catch them anyway? Using a net?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow. That's a lot of Hastatus! Haha.. Anyway I caught the nymphs using a net and siphon. Depends.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Layout/Hardscape: ADA Amazonia Powder Soil, Borneowild Rutsuuddo Wood (SS Root Type)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My goodness! How many Hastatus do you have in there man? Looks to be more than a hundred pieces!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

It looks too crowded in there. I would opt for a larger tank if you are intending for them to breed. Also, I noticed a major excess of Tubifex worms on your subtrate. That's going to be a HUGE problem bro.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

...I would opt for a larger tank if you are intending for them to breed...
    Duly noted; as a matter of fact, plans for a larger tank is already in the pipeline.

...Also, I noticed a major excess of Tubifex worms on your subtrate. That's going to be a HUGE problem bro.
    Yes, even though I feed in very small portions to ensure the ball of worms get consumed before dosing more worms, over time, the worms do get into the substrate. Unfortunately, if I wish to avoid this problem, I would really have to give up a Hastatus tank with a carpeted substrate. Let me think about it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Looking at the tank in your picture. That should be a Gex Glassterior 450..? Given the amount of Hastatus you have in there, I would suggest at least a 2x1.5ft tank.. Maybe even larger if space permits.

With regards to the substrate.. Its been a long-standing problem for you and looking at the mass of tubifex in the substrate.. I think the answer is evident. You are going to have to do something before the problem goes out of hand and causes mass casualties.

Good luck!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Looking at the tank in your picture. That should be a Gex Glassterior 450..?...
    Yes, it is.

...Given the amount of Hastatus you have in there, I would suggest at least a 2x1.5ft tank...
    You mean a base area of 2-foot by 1.5-foot? I think I'm going for the "standard" 2-foot by 1-foot tank. Quite hard to find a 2-foot by 1.5-foot non-custom-made tank. Not to mention finding a stand for such a tank.

...With regards to the substrate.. Its been a long-standing problem for you and looking at the mass of tubifex in the substrate.. I think the answer is evident. You are going to have to do something before the problem goes out of hand and causes mass casualties...
    I agree. That's why for the new tank I'm more inclined towards your thin-layer-of-find-sand substrate setup.

At the moment I'm doing daily 25% water-change to help with the condition of water in the tank.

...Good luck!
    Thanks, vannel

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    How many of them are there in the tank actually..? I would think a standard sized 2ft tank would hold them.. But would not be adequate for growth and expansion of your current shoal. They might be small cories, but being free swimmers, they also tend to need slightly more space than your average cories. My current tank is a 2x1.5x1.5ft and I am already quite bothered about 100 Hastatus having sufficient space to swim naturally. Given time and space when my new house arrives.. I'll be sure to dedicate a 4x2x2 tank to these cories.

This just happens to be my take on the topic and most likely does not represent the best way to keep Hastatus. I guess its up to your individual preference and know-how to best determine what you hope to achieve.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Bro ralliart12,

Nice setup there. especially the number of cory inside the tank

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Updates please! Ive been reading from post one and it has been interesting so far! Will the regulars start posting an updatr to their tanks.

I am considering to set up either a hastasus tank or a laser cory tank. I haven't really decided on the species yet. Any advice?

I would love to breed them and would like to know which is easier.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

hastatus are easier to spawn, IMO. When I had them, they spawned on my glass tank walls and filters. Raising their fry, as with all cories, is another thing altogether. That said, hastatus are really fragile fish, so treat them with care. Best would be a matured tank.
    Currently keeping large predatory fish 🐟

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi all, I need some help here. I have some 20 hastatus but there area few which remain inactive at the bottom of the tank. Some even fall side ways. At first, I thouht they were dead but when I moved them, they start to swim. After some time, they fall back down and "pretend' to be dead again. I just found 1 really dead last night. What could be wrong?

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

It is hard to identify the root cause without knowing pre existing condition of the tank. Also, please take a picture of the tank.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ggyy11 View Post
    Hi all, I need some help here. I have some 20 hastatus but there area few which remain inactive at the bottom of the tank. Some even fall side ways. At first, I thouht they were dead but when I moved them, they start to swim. After some time, they fall back down and "pretend' to be dead again. I just found 1 really dead last night. What could be wrong?
    Did you measure your tank perimeters?
    Ph level? Mine also.. recently I lost a batch. Then I tested the water and realised that the PH level was too low! I raised it to about 6.8 and it's better now for my new batch.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi guys, I just got my hand on these little cuties and I'm aiming to breed them.
    Anyone have experience keeping them with otos? I'm wondering if the otos will feast on the eggs?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

The Hastatus Century Club

Hello all! This is my current setup with hastatus. Need some advice on whether its possible to keep them in here. Currently removed sand and soil at bottom. Currently dosing blueexit to cure bba and excel spot dosing. So far 1 death has occurred and 3 missing. Current count at 20/23.

Current tank specs:
    90cmx45x45
    Eheim2215
    Eheim 2215 & prefilter.
    Boyu wave maker
    Totto bubble stopper
    Co2 at 2bps

Hard scape:
    Black lava rocks
    Blyxa japonica
    Mini fissiden
    Driftwood
    Buceps
    Sudo sand
    Ada soil
    Java moss

Advice very much appreciated and needed!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439444078.711930.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439444117.728560.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

That's very promising. Full tank shots please?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Full tank shot as requested!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439463686.878352.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast