61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: The Hastatus Century Club

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I like the tank. it has sandy base for the corydoras to 'park'. this help to lengthen their longevity. like!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I counted only 11 of them out of 23. Should I be worried barmby? I am only currently feeding them once every night and only a few of them are seen scavenging the bottom.

Do I have to increase feeding intensity to the morning as well or reduce the flow of the wave maker ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I have not kept Hastatus myself. I cannot comment sorry. But for me Sterbai can be tough to keep alive too. First they lost their delicate barbels , wither and die. I have 8 and left with 4 that stay with me for 5 years at least..

The environment is very important. Gravel size. Cleanliness and etc.

It is often problematic to feed Corydoras in aquaria with fast feeding mid-water fish such as tetras as flake and sinking pellets are consumed by such fish before they have hit the bottom and sometimes, even while lying on the substrate

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Looks nice Bro. Maybe reduce your ferts and co2. It's tough to maintain a high tech planted with sensitive species.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Setup: ADA Cube Garden 45-P, Starlitz Clear 45, Eheim Aquacompact 40
    Layout/Hardscape: ADA Amazonia Powder Soil, Borneowild Rutsuuddo Wood (SS Root Type)
    Fauna: Apisto Trifasciata, Sundadanio Axelrodi (Blue), Yamato Shrimp

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Vannel,

No ferts added. Co2 at around 1.5-2BPS. I have alot of queries as well hopefully someone here can help! Do i reduce the Co2 to 1bps?

1. I am currently combating BBA which i dose Bluexit at 20ml everyday for consecutive 10 days. Currently I have been dosing for 3 days straight. I also do spot treatment of excel at about 3ml diluted with 9ml of water.

2. As the dosing is considered chemicals, I try and count my hastatus everyday. As of yesterday, i can only be able to count 11/23 of them. Should I be worried? They usually hide between my Blyx Japanica or under my huge lava rocks at the bottom where the current is not as strong. I'm not sure if the current is affecting them from coming out but there are others that do. How do we know if they are struggling to cope?

3. Do they like current? Some of them seem to enjoy swimming against the current/wavemaker while others look like as if they are struggling.

4. The one thing and most important of it all, that gets me worried is that they don't seem to be eating as fervently. I only see at a time about a handful of them scavenging at the bottom. Should I be worried? Do i need to off my filter when it is feeding time?

5. I am only feeding them dry food. I recently bought new life spectrum's small sinking food + garlic and I still require to crush them before i feed them as they dont sink as readily. How much do I need to feed to ensure that it is enough? A small pinch or a teaspoon full (which is alot).

I also have Hikari algae wafers and carnivore pellets which I drop but still no interested individuals but only 1 or 2 of them nipping at it but swims away after. My yamato and fire red shrimps always seem to get it before the hastatus do. Do I need to place the food in a feeding dish so that the hastatus are able to readily find them?

I just started a small culture of microflex worms which I got from bro Urban Aquaria and would be able to feed them this culture when it has grown to a substantial amount.

Thanks everyone! Your kind input and advice is much needed!

Nicholas

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I've always kept my hastatus in tanks with a rainbar pointed back towards the glass. This allows them some flow along 1 side of the tank and a very mild current in the rest of the tank. I've also never dosed any chemicals since they are a very sensitive species (high doa and requires utmost care in slow acclimatisation).

As mentioned, keeping a planted tank with co2 injection clashes with the ideal requirements for hastatus. I've always also run an air stone in my tank.

Layout/Hardscape: ADA Amazonia Powder Soil, Borneowild Rutsuuddo Wood (SS Root Type)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Actually I find hastatus have been very easy to breed. I have just feed keep feeding them enough Sera o nips and leaving them to do their stuff. Just do not remove the frys even if you could see them let them be with their mom you should better survival rates.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

With ample food and good water quality, they breed easily. No fuss with fry like the other Corydoras species either. However, their rapid expansion of numbers affects water quality very fast as well. Typically that leads to massive die offs. You'd also need to worry about expanding their gene pool given their rate of reproduction.

The first wave of hastatus a few years ago was insanely difficult to stabilise. Glad that these interesting cories are now common in the local market.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi all,

I have a a few queries.

1. How do you know that your hastatus are fed well? Im dropping NSL sinking bits + garlic and see only a few of them nipping it and then they move on without eating the whole thing. Is the food too big for the mouths? Its already the smallest size I can get and even grind the whole container and repackaging it into a brand new one.

How do i know if they fancy the current food? They always seem to be looking for food on the sand bed. What is an indicator of a healthy hastatus and if they are eating properly? I might also be trying Sera-O-nips food which sticks on the wall. Been seeing quite a number of good reviews on them.

2. Micro worm cultures are gone in a flash but I cant harvest enough to feed the whole colony everyday and so i do it once every few days. How do i get them used to dry food instead of live food all the time?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

How do i know if they fancy the current food? => If you see the whole group of Hastatus swimming to the feeding bowl and within 15 minutes nothing is left.

I might also be trying Sera-O-nips food which sticks on the wall. Been seeing quite a number of good reviews on them. => Yes sera-o-nips I have already tested it with various batches of Hastatus so far none have been able to resist it. Before using it wasn't able to get them to breed but after using it I am already having my fourth generation of fries. Key to fry survival is to stop itchy finger instinct and remove them from their mother.
    Last edited by qool; 30th Aug 2015 at 15:28.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks qool. Will greatly consider getting sera-o nips now. the nsl food im feeing seems to be getting some interest but i dont put them into the feeding dishes so i cant realy say if the shrimps get at them first or the fishes. thanks qool.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

May i know where can I find Hastatus?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by zenz View Post
    May i know where can I find Hastatus?
    Green Chapter has lots of them, probably the most value for money I seen thus far if you are buying at 10 pieces a go.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks Ingen, unfortunately GC doesn't stock it anymore...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by zenz View Post
    Thanks Ingen, unfortunately GC doesn't stock it anymore...
    I just saw two tanks full of it last week... And those tanks been there for quite awhile, it's in the back room.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I was there 2 Saturdays ago, didn't see them, will check it out again, thanks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I was at GC a couple of days before, the hastatus are kept in tanks located at the back of the store. If not sure, ask the shop master, he will guide you there.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the confirmation, will be there soon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Because of the revival of this thread, I gave in to the temptation that I have been holding back for the past year and bought 10 from GC...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Anyone selling their frys?

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast