Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: The Hastatus Century Club

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I can imagine, the little guys rushing for the food. Perhaps you can try with crushed Tetrabits later on.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    ...Perhaps you can try with crushed Tetrabits later on.
    Is there any tool/equipment/machine I can use to easily blend multiple types of fish food together into fine powder? What I can think of now is simply to throw the various types (of fish food) into a mortar & use a pestle to pound it into finer powder. Anything less primitive?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I used to put the food bits on a piece of paper placed on a thick piece of newspaper. Then I'd lay a piece of plastic, usually the fish bags over it and pound the food gently with a pestle or something hard. Doesn't take much force to crush the food. You can even use your fingers.

Or you can use a kitchen mill or a food processor if you want to make your own fish foods.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If you don't mind spending some cash, commercial coffee grinders come in many shapes and sizes. I'm sure you'll be able to find one that will suit your needs. I would probably deem it a little overkill though, especially since they would most likely outgrow powdered foods and should take to eating Hikari Carnivore pellets very soon. If you have any intention of breeding them, you should probably think about live foods (of which Tubifex worms are second to none, IMHO)..
    Setup: ADA Cube Garden 45-P, Starlitz Clear 45, Eheim Aquacompact 40
    Layout/Hardscape: ADA Amazonia Powder Soil, Borneowild Rutsuuddo Wood (SS Root Type)
    Fauna: Apisto Trifasciata, Sundadanio Axelrodi (Blue), Yamato Shrimp

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Small Update on my C. Hastatus tank..

Attachment 28560

Attachment 28561

2 little spots which I found and were at easily accessible areas where picture taking was possible..
    Looks like its almost time for a tank upgrade..

Attachment 28562

This picture is just for fun. I thought it was quite hilarious, really.
    Layout/Hardscape: ADA Amazonia Powder Soil, Borneowild Rutsuuddo Wood (SS Root Type)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Last pic was priceless. You should make the worms do a smiley face. My GF says the "face" resembles Cookie Monster from Sesame Street.
    What's that twirly thing on the right of the 2nd pic? A worm?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Haha.. It was just so funny, especially with 1 "eye" bigger than the other. Kinda like a quirky look.

And yes, the twirly thing is a stray tubifex worm. They'll get him soon enough!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Are you using some sort of marine sand in the tank? I used Europet sand in my old tank with a very low depth so I can see the hastatus digging for worms. They loved it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Regular ole Sudo sand.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by vannel View Post
    ...If you have any intention of breeding them, you should probably think about live foods (of which Tubifex worms are second to none, IMHO)..
    Now that you mentioned it, I recall seeing "Hikari Bio-Pure FD TUBIFEX WORMS" being sold in PolyArt at Clementi area. Perhaps I can try that in future? Or does the "being (eaten) alive" aspect of live food matters that much? Nonetheless, currently I'm not trying to breed them; I'm also unaware of how to breed them.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You can but these FD cubes usually float. I used these in the past to good effect with tetras and such, not so much with corys. As with all things, eating the food live would be best, but not necessary. You can always gut load grindals with the nutrients that you want and feed them with live tubifex that have been allowed to purge their guts and kept clean beforehand.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ralliart12 View Post
    ... Nonetheless, currently I'm not trying to breed them; I'm also unaware of how to breed them.
    Well, if you are not trying to breed them yet, then I suppose ready made foods should suffice. However, I would still recommend the occasional treat of live foods should you happen to have access to any. I think you would have a good time talking to a certain someone (a.k.a our mutual friend) who has recently gained an interest in the C. Hastatus species as well. I'm sure he'll be more than happy to have a chat, and so will I..

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Are you using some sort of marine sand in the tank? I used Europet sand in my old tank with a very low depth so I can see the hastatus digging for worms. They loved it.
    By the way storm, what's your take on the Europet sand? That can be bought from PetMart in Serangoon? I learnt from experience that the C. Hastatus, albeit a Corydoras, does not dig as "comprehensively" as the other cories do.. Yes, they do forage a little, but there's no "digging their heads into sand" action to be said. At least not for my batch. Hence, I'm actually in the process of slowly siphoning out the Sudo sand everytime I do a WC. Going to bring it down to just a thin, thin layer so they can get to the tubifex worms that wiggle into the sand.

Additionally, I have been planning a tank upgrade. As you saw, my tank is one of those cheap OceanFree tanks with a bow-front. Whilst not technically a problem, I would really love to upgrade from this 50cm tank to a standard sized 2ft tank instead and perhaps use a different sand base. Would you have any to recommend?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Europet Sand is excellent for Corydoras. I used to have it in my cory tanks but it is very fine. Much finer than Sudo Sand, but paler in color. I would suggest that you use a very very thin layer, just enough to cover the bottom. This ensures that the Corys can and will get to any worms hiding in the sand. Just place a few branchy driftwood in the tank, propped up by the branches, so there will be no dead spots that will form in the sand underneath the driftwood.

You should see this thread by bernie to have an idea of what I'm talking about:
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...of-an-old-tank

This way, the Corydoras have more floor space to root about, and you can see them easily. Tie some plants to the branches of the driftwood and you have a simple and effective layout. A few KTP leaves here and there will compliment the overall look.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I tried using fine sands .. But my water is always very blur ... Whenever the cories make the sands and is always not clear even when the tanks use overflow system

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Doraemon82 View Post
    I tried using fine sands .. But my water is always very blur ... Whenever the cories make the sands and is always not clear even when the tanks use overflow system
    Perhaps not too fine sand. Tried using fine sands a few time but there is always a level of cloudy dust after some activities. Pretty eye sore..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

If you did not rinse the sand before use, then be prepared for a "sandstorm" in the tank. If this happens you must run the water through several layers of fine filter wool or a diatom filter, else the water will remain cloudy even if you keep doing water changes in the hopes of reducing the cloudiness.

I found this video on Youtube while browsing and it is an ingenious method:

He uses gravity and basically suction within the bottle to ensure the sand "self-rinses" within the bottle. I'm going to experiment with this method in a spare tank with a smaller bottle and some fine sand.
    Last edited by stormhawk; 15th Feb 2012 at 03:46.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

OooOOoOooo.. Very good demonstration. Thanks for the video link bro. That was highly informative. Tell me how you fare with your experiment.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Sorry ... Dun know y I can't see the link

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

...He uses gravity and basically suction within the bottle to ensure the sand "self-rinses" within the bottle. I'm going to experiment with this method in a spare tank with a smaller bottle and some fine sand.
    After which, where do the clouded water go?

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast