3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: The Hastatus Century Club

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    i think the season is over for them. Not too sure. Maybe you will be able to get some off the forumers here. I know Ecalyte was selling his shoal of Hastatus awhile back. Not sure if he still has some leftover. As for substrate.. Hastatus are mid water cories and the specific substrate is not very important as long as it doesnt have sharp edges. However, even if they rarely dig, they should still be housed with a very thin layer of fine sand. That way, live food will not be trapped between the sand. Also, sand should be inate. Shrimp soil is active and might bring ph down too much depending on the brand.
    Setup: ADA Cube Garden 45-P, Starlitz Clear 45, Eheim Aquacompact 40
    Layout/Hardscape: ADA Amazonia Powder Soil, Borneowild Rutsuuddo Wood (SS Root Type)
    Fauna: Apisto Trifasciata, Sundadanio Axelrodi (Blue), Yamato Shrimp

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

From what I have gathered, Tubifex also need to be fed. Conventionally, they used to be fed gu sai, or whatever sai, but it seems they also eat other decaying organism too, including suitably pulverised fish flakes, morsels of dead fish, etc. This is worth experimenting.

Self-cultivated Tubifex is much more preferred than those from contaminated sources, since the harmful parasites in the guts would have been much reduced, or eliminated after a period of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by ralliart12 View Post
    Mine are still vibrating in my tank. Managed to coax them to feed from a DIY-ed worm feeder "cone" instead of focusing on the substrate. Only issue nowadays is getting real solid quality, red, wriggling tubifex worm stock. The couple of fish shops I visited so far, is really not up to standard (in terms of their worms).

Am also interested to maintaining the lifespan of the worms over a week. My colony can typically "settle" 50cents-worth of worm in a week, so that's roughly how long I need them (the worms) to last.

Currently my method is ketapang water + airpump, or frequent water changes + airpump; results are hit & miss, though.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by vannel View Post
    i think the season is over for them. Not too sure. Maybe you will be able to get some off the forumers here. I know Ecalyte was selling his shoal of Hastatus awhile back. Not sure if he still has some leftover. As for substrate.. Hastatus are mid water cories and the specific substrate is not very important as long as it doesnt have sharp edges. However, even if they rarely dig, they should still be housed with a very thin layer of fine sand. That way, live food will not be trapped between the sand. Also, sand should be inate. Shrimp soil is active and might bring ph down too much depending on the brand.
    Hmm sand like those used in marine is not inate though... It buffers higher ph and kh too. sigh, guess its months of empty tank and waiting agony for unknown period again.
    Never enough tanks, never enough money....

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ezie View Post
    Hmm sand like those used in marine is not inate though... It buffers higher ph and kh too. sigh, guess its months of empty tank and waiting agony for unknown period again.
    You are right. But that's because they usually employ coral sand, which is just finely grinded up coral chips. For your purposes, you can check out the very widely used Sudo Sand or visit PetMart in Serangoon for other types of sand. They do stock some very fine sand and you would probably find one of the colour you prefer. Most river sands are inate and should have no bearing on your water parameters.
    Layout/Hardscape: ADA Amazonia Powder Soil, Borneowild Rutsuuddo Wood (SS Root Type)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Any chance pygmy cory would school like hastatus?
    Never enough tanks, never enough money....

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Nope. Hastatus are the only mid water shoaling cory species. The Pygmaeus will only occassionally swim in mid water but spend most of their time on the bottom.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Smile Re: The Hastatus Century Club

So hard to find hastatus now. I just missed a batch from GC...
    Wait, you mean the batch from GC is entirely sold out?

i think the season is over for them. Not too sure. Maybe you will be able to get some off the forumers here. I know Ecalyte was selling his shoal of Hastatus awhile back. Not sure if he still has some leftover...
    I believe he has sold all of them.

...However, even if they rarely dig, they should still be housed with a very thin layer of fine sand. That way, live food will not be trapped between the sand...
    Can they be housed safely with a bare bottom tank?

Any chance pygmy cory would school like hastatus?
    Nope. Hastatus are the only mid water shoaling cory species. The Pygmaeus will only occassionally swim in mid water but spend most of their time on the bottom.
    Hi vannel, that said, I do observe my previous batch of Pygmaeus do school with my Otos (yes, my Hastatus will also school with my Otos; my Otos must be wondering why all this small fishes are following them...) & they do exhibit mid-water swimming when they have grown comfortable with the environment.

But the mid-water swimming & schooling behaviour is way more significant in my Hastatus than my Pygmaeus.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ralliart12 View Post
    Wait, you mean the batch from GC is entirely sold out?
    Yep... each & every surviving one (after shipping mortality) plus a smaller shipment, but those were all taken up entirely as well (last 15pcs went with the blink of an eye). What would you expect of healthy fishes... buy season parking in retail tanks??

I would humbly suggest that those still keen in owning hastatus, to place a deposit or paid reservation with either the boss or shopmaster. Pretty sure they'll do what they can to make everybody (well, almost) happy especially if they know you're sincere (nobody likes to be 'aeroplaned' without good cause).
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by RonWill View Post
    ..I would humbly suggest that those still keen in owning hastatus, to place a deposit or paid reservation with either the boss or shopmaster....
    Wow, like that can I just open a tab with GC, credit a couple hundred bucks in, & have first dips on any future Hastatus shipment? Haha...joking...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Store credit? Strange concept for LFS trade but very do-able. Heh... FYI, you won't be the first and no prizes for guessing correctly who is!!
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

For limited items, the auction bidding system is best and fair.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Anyone has ever seen their Hastatus having trouble swimming and lying sideways on the bottom?
    For the moment, thankfully, no. I'm guessing bacterial inflammation/infection.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    For limited items, the auction bidding system is best and fair
    It might be the case for eBay but bidding is forbidden in AQ.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi bros, any sight of hastatus recently?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Unfortunately, I think the season is once again over. You'll have to watch the forums and see if there are any bros selling off their stock. Maybe next year we'll see them again when the Amazonian season is right.. Hopefully it doesn't disappear from SG for another few years like before.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    JZX just brought in a new shipment of Hastatus! I just read about it in the Merchant section..

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yep. So did GC. Probably the same batch. GC did mention most of this batch have already been reserved.. How many more people are snapping up the C. Hastatus..?

On another note, Uncle Ronnie! How is your C. Hastatus project coming along? Hit the magical 800 yet?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hit the magical 800 yet?
    Chugging along patiently. Now halfway there...
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

...GC did mention most of this batch have already been reserved.. How many more people are snapping up the C. Hastatus..?...
    Too many, I didn't get the full amount I reserved But I guess, having some, is already enough

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Good that you managed to reserve some! My total haul from JZX just an hour ago..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

haha left 1 only? wow seems like hastatus is very popular in singapore.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast