Country
    Singapore

Re: The Hastatus Century Club

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I also don't mind to help adopt some.

Ecalyte why you need to adjust the PH? The rocks giving problem?
    Nicholas

Newbie en el cichlid enano

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I watched the video, but it only showed 'the fine art of sand-pouring', lol. But I am raring to have a go at it too.

Being new to sand work, I am wanting to know also the initial preparations, if any, before one executes this superb advanced technique.

For instance, do we put the raw purchased sand straight into the bottle from the packet and start to pour it in? Or do we need to wash and rinse the sand beforehand? This is what's stopping me from trying it out, until I understand fully.

Hope Uncle Ronnie can offer his views on this? Thanks, Uncle Ronnie.

Quote Originally Posted by ralliart12 View Post
    After which, where do the clouded water go?
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I think you just have to pour the sand into the bottle and let the bubbles do the trick. Don't think there's a need to pre-wash the sand.. Otherwise, it'll really defeat the purpose of the video and the method being shown.
    Setup: ADA Cube Garden 45-P, Starlitz Clear 45, Eheim Aquacompact 40
    Layout/Hardscape: ADA Amazonia Powder Soil, Borneowild Rutsuuddo Wood (SS Root Type)
    Fauna: Apisto Trifasciata, Sundadanio Axelrodi (Blue), Yamato Shrimp

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    For instance, do we put the raw purchased sand straight into the bottle from the packet and start to pour it in? Or do we need to wash and rinse the sand beforehand? This is what's stopping me from trying it out, until I understand fully
    I don't know how others do it but I practice safe sex... erm... no... make that wash/soak/boil or safe quarantine of anything that's going into closed-system setups or tanks. That would, of course, include all woods, plants, livestock, stones and substrate (other than those I've tried and known good). I'd rather be safe and sexy than sorry!!

Hope Uncle Ronnie can offer his views on this?
    err... what has this to do with me???
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ecalyte View Post
    Ya... I really cant keep up with trying to keep the pH low with regular water changes..
    I think you're reading too much into those numbers. So long as it doesn't rise beyond pH7.5, why not just condition the adult hastatus and observe for spawning activities. The tank is chilled, isn't it? Not the most important thing either, since I experimented on a group and got them making whoopie at 32°C.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The sand pouring video is pretty straight forward. Get a funnel, pour your sand in, and let gravity do the trick.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by RonWill View Post
    I think you're reading too much into those numbers. So long as it doesn't rise beyond pH7.5, why not just condition the adult hastatus and observe for spawning activities. The tank is chilled, isn't it? Not the most important thing either, since I experimented on a group and got them making whoopie at 32°C.
    I agree with RonWill on this.

I don't have a chilled tank for my C. Hastatus and they have been doing the do practically every few days for the past few months in whatever the room temperature was. Heck, I don't even measure my PH anymore and just opt for tap water + anti-chlorine (PetFran's Ultimate Defense), which so far, has proven to be safe. My recent tank upgrade makes aging water impossible with the volume of the tank requiring quite a few pails.

Point is, keeping them shouldn't be too hard since they are not that finicky with water parameters. Only real problem I see is the size of your tank (which if I recall from this thread is a 1ft cube) which you are using to hold 100 C. Hastatus (as inferred from the title of this thread). If the rocks are causing water issues.. Why not rescape to a wood hardscape instead? The driftwood/bogwood will surely help in bringing your PH down to optimum conditions.
    Layout/Hardscape: ADA Amazonia Powder Soil, Borneowild Rutsuuddo Wood (SS Root Type)

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by vannel View Post
    It has been some time since anyone updated their C. Hastatus progress.. Has everyone already moved on to the other fancy cories being offered by JZX..?
    Mine are still vibrating in my tank. Managed to coax them to feed from a DIY-ed worm feeder "cone" instead of focusing on the substrate. Only issue nowadays is getting real solid quality, red, wriggling tubifex worm stock. The couple of fish shops I visited so far, is really not up to standard (in terms of their worms).

Am also interested to maintaining the lifespan of the worms over a week. My colony can typically "settle" 50cents-worth of worm in a week, so that's roughly how long I need them (the worms) to last.

Currently my method is ketapang water + airpump, or frequent water changes + airpump; results are hit & miss, though.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I have tried to freeze some of the Tubifex once I bought a good fresh sample. Just before freezing, I rinsed them multiple times with fresh tap water. I reasoned the chlorine will be good to kill any harmful micro-organisms. For the last rinse, I let as much water as possible drain away before adding cold drinking water from the fridge, just enough to cover the layer of worms and then put it in the freezer.

The thin slice of frozen Tubifex in the ice will still look good after many days. But the problem is when thawed, I still find some colourless worms when I feed it to the fish.

Any better practical ideas to suggest?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

2 questions:

1. Wouldn't the tap water instead kill most of the worms on your rinsing?
    2. Wouldn't freezing the worms kill them?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I wouldn't want to see live frozen Tubifex worms either, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ralliart12 View Post
    2 questions:
    1. Wouldn't the tap water instead kill most of the worms on your rinsing?
    2. Wouldn't freezing the worms kill them?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I wouldn't want to see live frozen Tubifex worms either, lol.
    Haha; this really cracks me up!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Frozen worms, etc is nothing new, except that here I am trying to do it DIY. If not, it's a pity to let a big bundle of beautiful and healthy worms rot and then discarded in a few days.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Another rainy day.. Perfect conditions for C. Hastatus to breed once again..

Sorry for the low-res video. It was taken using my phone camera.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

vannel, they getting all kinky for you.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Haha.. Yep! I've been watching them for a good few hours today chasing each other around and sticking eggs around the tank.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Anyone has ever seen their Hastatus having trouble swimming and lying sideways on the bottom? I have a single Hastatus with that issue now and this is probably the second or third one to have this same problem in the six months of keeping and breeding them. The affected Hastatus will 'thrash' around and attempt to swim a little before dropping back down onto the bottom. I don't really have a video or anything at the moment but I might attempt to take a video later. Fins and barbels are intact. No fungus or other growths/white spots on the exterior. Looks like maybe a little red spot on the abdomen area, but otherwise nothing else I can see that is out of the ordinary. The rest of the shoal seem to be unaffected.

The last time I had one of my Hastatus with this issue, it died in quarantine after a short period of time. Any chance someone has treated their Hastatus with the same issue and had it survive?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

When that dreaded red spot appears, there's little you can do. It's a sore of some sort and quite lethal. I tried to use an antibiotic, in my case the yellow powder, to treat it but with no success thus far.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yep. I have been trying to treat it using different methods as well but I think once the symptoms appear, it is already too late for any form of medication.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

So hard to find hastatus now. I just missed a batch from GC. Anyone knows where i can actually order or buy them? So would shrimp soil actually work for them or do they need finer substrate and what kind best suits them?
    Never enough tanks, never enough money....

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast