Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How to get more males?(Betta breeding)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How to get more males?(Betta breeding)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Firstly i want to apologise to Simon as i had nearly got him and other moderators into trouble.

When breeding fighting fishes, what must u do to ensure that ur fries will have more MALES?As everybody knows male are more appealing than females.One of the LFS told me to put a kind of leaf.I am not sure.But it smells like chinese tea wen put into water.Oh yes the leaf will also make ur water like black water.I need advise.Thanx

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    must be the ketapang leaves lah, produces humic acid and stains the water brown, just like the good old forest. The scientific name is Terminalia catappa, you can find it everywhere in Singapore. Here's a good article and some pics leeched from the Internet…

why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    So this is the leaves once put in the water u will get more males right?
    Good.I think one muz know how to use it so that it will not kill ur fish.
    If not why black water sell so well wen u can use ketapang leaves right?Not so easy.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't know about the "getting more male" part, but this works better than black water, and it is FREE! I soak them in hot water to get an extract, pack it in those big coke bottle and add some with water changes.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

My memory fails me, but I seems to remember from reading IBC literature that the more alkaline your water, the more males you get. So decreasing the pH via Ketapang leaves is gonna get you more females instead...

Sorry, I can't check my literature now because they're not with me

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, if the water is more to the alkaline side when the fry are in egg form, more males will appear. If acidic, more females

Ketapang is used to get them into the mood. you know, dark slezy place... []
    Lyon © I would rather walk a thousand leagues then to see your ugly face

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/16/2003 9:11:12 PM

Well, if the water is more to the alkaline side when the fry are in egg form, more males will appear. If acidic, more females

Ketapang is used to get them into the mood. you know, dark slezy place... []

----------------
    Do you know any website with studies/text that can support this theory? I would be interested to read about it.

Or was it base on your experience? If so, any records to share with us?
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I read it somewhere in the IBC (International betta congress) archives. I also tried before. I raised the pH to neutral. I get slightly more males then females. Near 65% of males. But one experiment is not enough to back up this theory
    Lyon © I would rather walk a thousand leagues then to see your ugly face