Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to scrap spot algae

Feedback Score

How to scrap spot algae

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    How to scrap spot algae? Use credit card or thin transit link card? Any other tool to scrap off that alage? Not easy to scrap off. SAE od oto eat spot alage?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm using TOOTHBRUSH to scrape off those spot algae on the tank wall. But then again, mine is a small 2.5ft tank and that's not spot algae much which are visible.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    credit card is the best because of the stiffness. everytime I scrape algae my rasboras and barbs will hang around waiting to cobble the algae bits that comes flying off the glass, very nutritous fresh vegetables for my fishes [:]
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    It is quite tiring to scrap spot alage like that. Maybe I a bit lazy. If this is the only way, no choice have to do it. Any fish to introduce to prevent spot alage grow?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/4/2003 2:01:27 PM

It is quite tiring to scrap spot alage like that. Maybe I a bit lazy. If this is the only way, no choice have to do it. Any fish to introduce to prevent spot alage grow?
    ----------------
    TKK.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Eric, you are either too low on the CO2 or PO4. Double check those and you should solve the problem.

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Peter (the chemistry guru [] ), my green algae grows back after scraping in a matter of hours. eg scrape on Sunday afternoon, by 2100 can see a green tint with signs of SAE attack. The growth is affected by current, the fastest growth around the area of the filter outlet, even turbulence caused by a E. rubin flower stalk can cause uneven growth of the algae!

my CO2 is 3 bubbles (sorry, no test kit) enough for my hairgrass to bubble like an upside down snowfall, in a 20 gallon tank. so what am I missing ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Haha choy...pearling is not a good indicator of good CO2 levels. You definitely need to test for the pH and KH to determine the CO2 level. Oh..you do have loads of fishes huh? []

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    scraping spot algae is also a very good form of exercise!
    it is part and parcel for me.......but for u im not too sure....??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/4/2003 7:54:55 PM

Haha choy...pearling is not a good indicator of good CO2 levels. You definitely need to test for the pH and KH to determine the CO2 level. Oh..you do have loads of fishes huh? []

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    ----------------
    peter, yah I know pearling doesn't mean anything, but it probably also mean the there is no CO2 starvation? too lazy to test lah []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually there are commercial scrappers which I'm using for my 4ft tank. I think it's the best form of scrapping tool to have esp when your tank is 2ft tall. My scrapper is Tetratec.... bought some time ago for around $25. Sadly the blade holder is not very good, which breaks easily. Replaced the holder with a cheaper taiwanese brand but re-used the blade.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Try using cheap pen knife blade. Change it when it turns rusty.

Feedback Score
    My PO4 is 0. And also slightly low CO2. How to increase PO4? Don,t change water or add more fish?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Correct the CO2 first and make sure it is good day in day out before thinking about adding more fertilizers. You can increase PO4 by using KH2PO4 from Dr Mallick...need about a rice grain or two per 20gallons of tank water 2-3 times per week in a highlight setup.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    KH2PO4 will affect water parameter like KH PH relationship? Where to get these staff? Expensive?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It would not affect the KH if you stay within limits that is.
    Look under the LFS for Dr Mallick...price is less than 10 bucks for a lifetime supply...[]

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/4/2003 9:09:43 PM

----------------
    On 12/4/2003 7:54:55 PM

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    ----------------
    peter, yah I know pearling doesn't mean anything, but it probably also mean the there is no CO2 starvation? too lazy to test lah []
    ----------------
    Choy,

I, too, believe that presence of pearling indicate that CO2 is at a decent level. From what I've seen to date, lighting and CO2 influence pearling more than nutrient levels - I've seen my plants pearl even when the tank is N and P limited (after 1.5 weeks of neglect).
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Agreed theodore,

I have two tanks of 2 and 3ft each which are planted.
    Now one is fitted with FL light 15w - 2ft, the other with PL 4 x 24w - 3 ft.

Of course, the algae presence in 2ft is zero, no pearling. the 3ft one is some but not a lot. Still to me its a constant threat if not deal properly such as it may harm my oto population. I have halved my lightings so slow down the algae builtin, since I ascertain that PH level and CO2 level are okay.

I am reaping my 2nd batch of baby guppies in the 2ft. Expecting 3rd batch to come in real soon. Hee Hee....

Feedback Score
    What cause the leave rot? Does KH2PO4 helps? If not, any chemical can help?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Dunno, haven't use that product before, cannot comment.

Leave rot can be caused by several reasons might be nitrate, might be excessive iron element dosage.

Someone just posted articles to link to all these behavior on 5 december threads. You can just search through page 5 to 6 I think...if not, search through all..hee hee.

BTW, 3rd batch of my guppies has been born, fun to see a 2ft tank with oto, cardinal and guppies swimming around with 3 generations of babies. Nope, I dun seperate them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast