Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Tetra's change in behaviour

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Recently these 2 days, I noticed a change in unexplainable behaviour of my tanks tetras. That is whenever someone approaches the tank, they would all run and hide at the back of the tank amongst the tall plants. They would stay there for a long while sometimes not even comming out for food if the person is still standing close in front of the tank.
    This never happened before in the one month plus that I've been running my tetra tank. Previously, they would still be happily swiming around in the open even if there is someone in front of the tank or even putting the hand into the tank. Apart from feeding the fishes, nothing has been done to the tank this past week.

My tank is mostly neons (50+) with 5 golden tetras and 4 Kennedy tetra (aka Golden nail tetra). The golden tetras seems to be the bravest, while the neons seems to be the most shy now.

Has anyone encountered such sudden change in behaviour before?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Cambodia

Re: Tetra's change in behaviour

Have you added anything to the tank or taken anything out before this change?
    Sometime, you need just 1 timid fish to trigger the whole school to dart for hiding.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You might want to check the water parameters. When fish behave in this manner it could be related to the quality of the water.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

water parameters have been constant.
    Think it might be due to me feeding the fish too much. Cos when I reduce food amount, they become more active.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Have you changed anything in regards to lighting?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Nope, lighting intensity and period is still the same. Full white light starts from 0830-1945, low-intensity blue light from 0530-2400

Also noticed that the tetras (neons, black neons, golden, kennedy tetras) were generally more active in the mornings (around 9am) before tapering off around lunch, then picking up again around early evenings, before they goto sleep/rest at night. The black neons seem most active then comes the neons then the golden and finally kennedy tetras. My Glofish (Zebra Danios) constantly active. Feeding is at 1900-1930.

haha...Wonder of the tetras activity are kinda like my own activity?...morning wake up more active, lunch time afternoon want to sleep, dinner time more active, then goto sleep at night....if eat too much also want to lie down and sleep.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Fat tetras are almost always less active. My cardinals are forever fat and do not rush for the food unless they're real hungry. Perhaps you can test. Don't feed them for a day or two and see if they'll come out more often.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

ok can try a crash diet.
    Currently just feeding them about 2/3 of what I was feeding previously, and was planning to reduce that amount further to 1/2. Already noticing some pick up in activity when feed less. Also using the filter output to stir the suspended food in the water to make them chase after the food for a bit of exercise.

Does the type of food also matter?
    Currently feeding them dried tubeflex worms cubes (cut into small shreds with a scissors). Used to feed them crushed palettes (from Ocean Free). They also seem to enjoy the Hikari algae palettes that I drop in occasionally for my Otos

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Switching to another type of pellet might be worthwhile. My tetras love the Carnivore Pellet but I think the Hikari Micro Pellet should be good. Have you tried Sera O-Nip? You can stick that tab on the tank wall and the fish will come to attack it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Current palettes can stick to glass wall (although haven't tried it yet). Usually my glass shrimps will get to it first, leaving the fishes to pick up the bits that the shrimps drop during feeding.

Bought some Ocean Free micro palettes not to long ago ... haven't use it yet. Hope to rotate it with the tubeflex worms.
    The Carnivore pallet is from which brand?

Also where to get daphnia (dried or otherwise)?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Cambodia

I feed mine TetraBits complete.
    Usually crushed and dropped it with my fingers.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You can get live Moina (related to Daphnia) from LFS like Y618, C328 (on Thursday only), Hong Yang etc. I have no idea of any LFS selling them in the east, though I reckon the farms should have them. You must use a fine net to sieve them out from the water in the bag, because it can be pretty foul. There are freeze-dried Daphnia from Hikari and Sera at C328, though Y618 should have these foods too.

The Carnivore Pellet is from Hikari.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the info