1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Need help with plants for a low tech setup

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, I'm suppose to help my friend setup a low tech tank. No co2, chiller or fan. Just possible sunlight (not direct, but bright), aquarium lamp and filtration. 15l cube tank...

She wants a moss carpet? Will that work?

Is cabomba a good choice for background plant? Plus what plant is nice and tall like grass? Not hair grass though, like thick blades of grass?

Can you all suggest more low light, low co2, and low "everything else" kinda aquatic plants?

Thank you all so much...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Need help with plants for a low tech setup

Moss carpet will work, but the mosses won't be in the best of health, because mosses prefer cooler water and that sunlit tank isn't going to be optimal.

I'm not sure about Cabomba but it should work. What I know works is a similar looking plant; hornwort.

Thick tall blades of grass bring to mind Cyperus helferi. Low light plants always bring to mind Java fern, Anubias nana.

Pack the tank with as many plants as possible and keep filtration good. She'll have an algae problem if she doesn't do her upkeep because of that sunlight imho.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by |squee| View Post
    Moss carpet will work, but the mosses won't be in the best of health, because mosses prefer cooler water and that sunlit tank isn't going to be optimal.

I'm not sure about Cabomba but it should work. What I know works is a similar looking plant; hornwort.

Thick tall blades of grass bring to mind Cyperus helferi. Low light plants always bring to mind Java fern, Anubias nana.

Pack the tank with as many plants as possible and keep filtration good. She'll have an algae problem if she doesn't do her upkeep because of that sunlight imho.
    Ok, if I position the sun out of the tank, and if she kept the lights on for 8hrs a day, would she have an algae prob? Besides moss carpet, what other plants can I use that will cover up the ground?

Are mini nanas expensive?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by |squee| View Post
    I agree with your point one, the least is they most likely will be surviving.
    Hortwort is more of a floater (and the fact it's a pest sometimes to me)
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, don't really like hornwort...they break off easily if you try to stick them in the soil because they don't have roots...they look nicer upright and in the soil...