Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New to planted tank. Start 1ft tank.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: New to planted tank. Start 1ft tank.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by marimo View Post
    izznt root monster for plants that depend more on roots , like Cryptocoryne i think ..
    got to do homework ...
    Yes but he already has powersand which is supposed to contain nutrients already. Coupled with Aquasoil there's no real need for root monster until half a year has gone past, and that's assuming he has a high light heavily planted tank.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    1 rock? or rocks still not yet added in?
    IMO, you really don't feel the slope until you add rocks in, plus compare sideways...

from the angle of the last picture, i cannot see slope. Try taking a shot with the same angle as 2nd last picture. Your eyes can move around the tank but people looking at your photo can't.

BTW: Mobile phone camera?
    Yes. HTC Sensation XE, 8 MP camera.
    Sorry for Bad photos, not really a professional.
    My first Intention was not to add rock but still I got rocks as extra for a co2 canister sales. I intend to use it or else gone to wasted. He weirdo. Gave me 4 rocks, all different shape, different color and should be type too.
    The slope was quite badly done, I guess as I am not going to touch it till next week. Cause next then I get going to upgrade light tubes as they should be at least a year old as I got it second hand too.
    Actually the rock is quite nice. too flat like a platform. I will improve on the slope next week and add more photos.
    The root monster was actually extra, as I heard HC grip very lousy, I heard of tales of root wrapping around root monster.
    So firstly, I thought it would help HC in growing faster and also getting better grip so as not to float up. I dun think there will be any bad things for adding root monster right? what I seem from the package(not sure if it's just a marketing strategy) but It say not to cause algae problem and also will not leak the nutrient and could last for at least a year. Therefore If I put it now. I guess it could last a year? which I think by then I might change scape as I would be renovating my room. (haha adding a 3ft 2tier shrimp cabinet and 2 2ft planted tank.) I heard good reviews on the root monster so I bought it as a booster. Hope it helps. Thks for all the comment and help. appreciate it!
    Probably the main star coming next week too. The HC after I change the light tubes and get fert. I getting the whole series of ADA fert. But currently, I still not sure how much should I add. Hope get some comments for those who use ada fert before. Thks! <) PEACE OUT!
    still learning the hard way!!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Takes time to learn taking picture using mobile. Mine 3 footer pictures are all take from iPhone 4s.

Your signature only appears when you reply on mobile lol.

I too am using root monster during tank start. So your not alone for this.

Be waiting for your updates.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Takes time to learn taking picture using mobile. Mine 3 footer pictures are all take from iPhone 4s.

Your signature only appears when you reply on mobile lol.

I too am using root monster during tank start. So your not alone for this.

Be waiting for your updates.
    Thanks. By next sat will have update. I thinking of using the plastic foil from the kitchen to cover the tank. So I no need to water so much as less water will evaporated out of the tank

In the process of learning. painful but fun!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I just shift the soil around. And tug in ADA soil into the front of the ADA powersand would be hidden.

can see the ugly powersand around from the sides. My slope abit weird But from the front looks ok.

I heard blue spectrum is good for plants. 12k should be enough for plants ba. Dun think can go higher liao.

After changing the lights!

Just ordered HC from C328 Aunty. Tomorrow coming. today no more . dun snatch from me!
    Also getting a whole set of ADA Fert tomorrow. So 22/12/11 would the first day of my planting project! Yep!!!!
    I thinking if I need to use the ferts and mix with the water that use to grow the HC. Even if it's going to be a DSM start. Hmmmmm
    I wonder if the soil is too high and the lighting would cause the plants to melt. Hope it does not, if it does. I would try to find a way to make the light higher so that the plants will not melt.
    Using a plastic foil to cover the tank. Would prevent water from evaporating and Do not need to water so often. Probably every 1week or 3days.

Feedback Score
    17 (90%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi neondagger, who told you that blue spectrum is good for freshwater plants? Hahaha. Why are you always armed with misleaded
    haha. Next time ask the right guy!
    Zack

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ZackZhou View Post
    Hi neondagger, who told you that blue spectrum is good for freshwater plants? Hahaha. Why are you always armed with misleaded
    haha. Next time ask the right guy!
    I've totally given up on this guy already. No point.

Wrong light for planted tank. Please don't go advising people to use 12000K temperature bulb for planted tank ok?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Basically the kelvin (temp) 12000K is too high
    5500 - 6800 is usually what freshwater plants need, the lower the deg the redder (yellow to us), the higher the bluer (still white to us)
    The higher the K, the more reported of penetrating deep into water. 12000K can go to 50cm deep and more which your 30cm do no require so.. therefore it may be use for corals instead

as I mentioned , 12000K is slightly bluish , which is not often used for fresh water plants and the leaves will appear pale yellow to our eyes. Not very exciting har for a planted tank? Thats why we stick below 8K hopefully. 6500 K to be exact.

As it may seems that the light is overpower, it may be a welcome haven for algae bloom if its prolong expose like your led light CRS tank. Therefore do not ON it more than 10 hour straight..

The spectrum is the character of the bulb manufacturer. the spike in blue section is the wavelength of 450nm range that is very useful to the plants chlorophyll A & B ... besides violet/red 2nd useful. As you can see a smaller spike in yellow and green which is a character of usual daylight 'full spectrum'. But it's not facilitate by plants and it does not penetrate deep in water as blue. Therefore its a energy wasted wave that is now .. effective eliminated by LED light. Only white + blue (thats explain the commercial led lights that has a few blue led light to supplement the white or stimulate 'moonlight')

phew sorry i sound geekish . but i do alot of homework..

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ecalyte View Post
    I've totally given up on this guy already. No point.

Wrong light for planted tank. Please don't go advising people to use 12000K temperature bulb for planted tank ok?
    bro, you tried before 8k? i had a great urge to try to change half my blubs (2 out of 4) to that range..
    Btw, everyone keep mention max... T5-HE ? aka high efficiency.. i will quote within a new topic soon.

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    bro, you tried before 8k? i had a great urge to try to change half my blubs (2 out of 4) to that range..
    Btw, everyone keep mention max... T5-HE ? aka high efficiency.. i will quote within a new topic soon.

I guess It's better if I change tubes. What 1ft tubes u recommend? For 1ft there seen to be limited choice

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I found something interesting to read regarding the lighting spectrum

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...osythesis.html

Mod, i am sorry if i breached any rules for including links here...please delete if deemed inappropriate.

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I would do more research on the lighting. Sorry to cause so much trouble.
    C328 uncle tell me only got 1 type of light tube for 1ft tank le.

I bought the HC before I saw the post. If not I will not get the HC first.
    Today busy planting the HC.

Before I bought the HC, I tested the plastic foil if can seal the tank.

Then I went out to buy the ADA fert from a hobbyist.

I wet the soil with about 3litre of aged water.

I sealed up the tank with plastic foil from the kitchen.

I set the timer to 10hrs per day.
    What I intend to do.
    I will unseal the foil every 1 week and mist the plants, also to replenish the CO2 in the air.
    On next monday, I would make a trip to C328 to find another type of light tube. If it's possible.
    If the growth is good and spread to the whole tank after 1 month.
    I would fill the tank up with water and use CO2 at 1bps, add the miniprobe chiller on top of the eheim 2042 hangon filter and use the water fert.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Neondagger View Post
    I guess It's better if I change tubes. What 1ft tubes u recommend? For 1ft there seen to be limited choice

still use.. painful lesson are well remembered...
    My painful lesson, put tank well.. or 3 feet tank worth of water will be on floor...

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

still use.. painful lesson are well remembered...
    My painful lesson, put tank well.. or 3 feet tank worth of water will be on floor...
    Thanks for your support. would find more options for the light. I see marimo mention LED light. Currently LED light as still abit new for planted tank right?
    abit skeptical on LED light. Can someone tell me if it's better or worst?
    Whats the best choice, I have. Would take a good recommendation. Maybe too much blue? change 1 tube to 6500k and more red spectrum?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

that post suppose to be disturb you...
    before venturing further, read and analyze... before asking...

very often hobbyist ask ask ask but the information hardly is absorbed.
    it only ends up older hobbyist vomit blood, i banged many walls in this hobby and i still consider myself noob.

You can try looking at Aquascaping + Fertilisation and Algae section, which lighting for what size tank and what plants suitable. alot are in there and troubles and how they solved them. They are a VERY good laughing opps learning section.

Btw just a single instance of something is not concrete proof too, 1 person done in a short period also does not mean it is the norm..(example CRS breeding on just a darn Fan,proven able to keep but grades and rearing them otherwise.)

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I am using 8K led, basically it is still white to naked eye.. comparing with another PL light that is 6400K
    I have no idea why this brand white led is design at 8K but I assume it makes CRS looks more white ! make sense? haha jk
    But you see 8K is the ending of white and starting of the blue spectrum

Whats the best choice, I have. Would take a good recommendation. Maybe too much blue? change 1 tube to 6500k and more red spectrum?
    Ya you can have one more tube 6400ish together with 12000K. I read ppl using that to compensate the bluish

Thanks for your support. would find more options for the light. I see marimo mention LED light. Currently LED light as still abit new for planted tank right?
    abit skeptical on LED light. Can someone tell me if it's better or worst?
    I had a short convo with ...neverwalkalone member regarding LEDs
    LED has it pro and cons..
    To achieve T5 or MH effectiveness, so far only CREE X series has potential with 3W per bulb.
    There are a few merchant in states patent and manufacturing CREE bulbs for aquarium purpose.
    As its new, the price for high end led are relatively high. So give it few more years to mature...

I like led as it doesnt heat up , light is actually brighter than T5, with lower power consumption.
    Gives the sparkling water effect when you take picture.
    Because the light is stable and no unwanted wave spectrum, some algae dont grow that facilitate those wavelength.
    Unfortunately it wont be strong enough in terms of LM to force carpet from growing upwards.
    Other then that, theres plenty of low requirement plants that work well with LED light.

After i change to cheap led + fan for 1 ft,
    all my floating plants esp frogbit and water lettuce grew very fast, leaves were bigger, less melts and propagating like mad. One interesting observe is there's many 'butterflies' water lettuce. Their leaves stood up like wings.
    pennywort had 4 sprouts new, growing fast.

carpet grasses however still not optimum growth. hairgrass and glosso are sprouting new ones from the soil. stem appears to be thin.

So i can play around this assets and experiment on different component.
    and have fun during the process of learning.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by marimo View Post
    I am using 8K led, basically it is still white to naked eye.. comparing with another PL light that is 6400K
    I have no idea why this brand white led is design at 8K but I assume it makes CRS looks more white ! make sense? haha jk
    But you see 8K is the ending of white and starting of the blue spectrum

Ya you can have one more tube 6400ish together with 12000K. I read ppl using that to compensate the bluish

I had a short convo with ...neverwalkalone member regarding LEDs
    LED has it pro and cons..
    To achieve T5 or MH effectiveness, so far only CREE X series has potential with 3W per bulb.
    There are a few merchant in states patent and manufacturing CREE bulbs for aquarium purpose.
    As its new, the price for high end led are relatively high. So give it few more years to mature...

I like led as it doesnt heat up , light is actually brighter than T5, with lower power consumption.
    Gives the sparkling water effect when you take picture.
    Because the light is stable and no unwanted wave spectrum, some algae dont grow that facilitate those wavelength.
    Unfortunately it wont be strong enough in terms of LM to force carpet from growing upwards.
    Other then that, theres plenty of low requirement plants that work well with LED light.

After i change to cheap led + fan for 1 ft,
    all my floating plants esp frogbit and water lettuce grew very fast, leaves were bigger, less melts and propagating like mad. One interesting observe is there's many 'butterflies' water lettuce. Their leaves stood up like wings.
    pennywort had 4 sprouts new, growing fast.

carpet grasses however still not optimum growth. hairgrass and glosso are sprouting new ones from the soil. stem appears to be thin.

So i can play around this assets and experiment on different component.
    and have fun during the process of learning.
    Ok at the meantime, I would do more research and source for a light tube that is 6500k and more red to replace 1 tubes.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Neondagger View Post
    Ok at the meantime, I would do more research and source for a light tube that is 6500k and more red to replace 1 tubes.

your double signature is annoying

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I cannot handle such level of planted tank yet. the last time i bought the stuffs cost me over 300 bucks (which I sold away in the end..) now stick to low tech happy already haha

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by diazman View Post
    I cannot handle such level of planted tank yet. the last time i bought the stuffs cost me over 300 bucks (which I sold away in the end..) now stick to low tech happy already haha
    i just decom my 2 feet.. crypt roots long lol.. low tech plant hi tech root system

Semi-Active currently

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast