Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Coral Chips

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Does coral chips increase both PH and KH? What is the Pro and Con of using it?

Currently my tank with ADA soil measure PH 5.8 (light and CO2 on for 30min) and KH at 0-1 degree. As there is no livestock yet other than the plants, I'm hoping to use coral chips to slowing raise the PH and KH.
    Corydoras: 2 x adolfoi, 1 x agassizii, 5 x albino aeneus, 3 x arcuatus, 4 x atropersonatus, 3 x axelrodi, 6 x axelrodi variante B, 4 x caudimaculatus, 5 x duplicareus, 8 x goldlines, 3 x kanei, 3 x loretoensis, 6 x melini, 4 x panda, 6 x schwartzi, 3 x similis, 4 x sterbai, 4 x surinamensis, 5 x trilineatus, 4 x tukano & 3 x zygatus

RIP 1 x adolfoi, 1 x albino aeneus & 2 x panda

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/7/2003 8:07:13 PM

Does coral chips increase both PH and KH? What is the Pro and Con of using it?

Currently my tank with ADA soil measure PH 5.8 (light and CO2 on for 30min) and KH at 0-1 degree. As there is no livestock yet other than the plants, I'm hoping to use coral chips to slowing raise the PH and KH.
    ----------------
    Pros - coral chips can supply Ca and Mg as well as providing the kH.
    Cons - the kH is hard to control to a fix value, it keeps on rising. So does the gH.

You can also raise pH and kH using Baking Soda. It will not affect the gH. This will be a better solution if you have fish or plant life requiring softer water. There are some instructions in the Aquatic FAQ section.

I am not sure how coral chips will work out with ADA soil.

Personally I am using coral chips for my tanks. I control the amount to put coupled with regular water change to prevent kH or gH from rising too much.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Since this topic is slightly related to Ca dosage, I was wondering if this bizarre idea of mine would work.

Was having chicken rice the other day and the idea of using chicken bones inside the tank to supply Ca struck me. Anyone tried it b4? Will it work?

Cheers!
    p.s. apologies if the above sounds stupid to you

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    KH at 0-1 is a little too low especially with Co2 injection. Might get huge PH swing when you on or off you CO2. Try to bring it up to 4.

For coral chips. Great but hard to control. Use it at an area when you can remove easily once the item (GH/PH/Ca/Mg) you need to raise is sufficent. Some people put them in the slump area while others use it in their overhead/trickling/back hanging filters.
    Cheerio,
    Sleepy_lancs
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    An afternoon trimming my watery garden is better
    then an afternoon with a therapist
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Can tell me which brand of Baking Soda to buy? It's those used for baking cakes, right?

I'll hang the coral chips in a bag and remove as neccessary.
    Corydoras: 2 x adolfoi, 1 x agassizii, 5 x albino aeneus, 3 x arcuatus, 4 x atropersonatus, 3 x axelrodi, 6 x axelrodi variante B, 4 x caudimaculatus, 5 x duplicareus, 8 x goldlines, 3 x kanei, 3 x loretoensis, 6 x melini, 4 x panda, 6 x schwartzi, 3 x similis, 4 x sterbai, 4 x surinamensis, 5 x trilineatus, 4 x tukano & 3 x zygatus

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Kingfisher,

Can you at least browse through some of the articles in the Aquatic FAQ section if you don't know how to use the search function?
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Tried searching for Baking soda but the result turned up zero.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If my search for "baking soda" can turn up "612 records and took 5 seconds" with your current post being the top on my list, I fail to see how you can get zilch.

Besides, there is always this article in Aquatic FAQ - You can't miss it, it's on the first page!
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I chose to search Planted Tanks and it turn up zero. But if I left it to search all forums there are many results.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Coral Chip = Ca (calcium) then increase GH
    it is also a corbonate so increase KH
    Known fact that KH PH CO2 are inter-related, So if KH increase, CO2 remain, PH will INCREASE.

I placed a bag of C.Chips into my filter. After 2 weeks I measure the KH & GH is 13 to 14 Degree! PH is basic and cannot be measured using my Acidic test kit... Measuring kit "?quot;. to confirm the results, I measured tap water about 3 Degree (GH & KH) PH about 7... So I guess test kit SHould be accurate.
    Baby Steel!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/9/2003 12:26:29 AM

Coral Chip = Ca (calcium) then increase GH
    it is also a corbonate so increase KH
    Known fact that KH PH CO2 are inter-related, So if KH increase, CO2 remain, PH will INCREASE.

I placed a bag of C.Chips into my filter. After 2 weeks I measure the KH & GH is 13 to 14 Degree! PH is basic and cannot be measured using my Acidic test kit... Measuring kit "?amp;amp;quot;. to confirm the results, I measured tap water about 3 Degree (GH & KH) PH about 7... So I guess test kit SHould be accurate.
    ----------------

During the two weeks period, did you change the tank water?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Personally, I like to use Coral Chips for my tank, and I've seen several big tanks of 4 ft doing great with it. They help to kick off the fuss of using baking soda, and provide good KH/Ca/Mg. Depending on the filter flowrate, as long as you put the right amount, KH will increase very slowly.

My tank coral consistently give me a KH of 4 up to the max 5 per week. When I don't change my water for 1 months, it will only go up to about 7KH. Coral dissolve rate will reduce drastically when water turn from acidic to neutral, unless we overdose our CO2. I personally don't see any harm made with the increase KH/Ca/Mg, but added benefit, and all of my plants including Lobelia, grows well with high Ca/Mg as well as K of over 30ppm.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Good for you, I change 20% weekly and still get a 10++ Degree... maybe I have added too much in my canister.

Yes baking soda is a troublesome, adding baking soda (depending on the amount) increases the KH suddenly, don't think is good for fishes. C.Chip on the other hand reduces the KH at a slow and steady (depend on the amount I guess).
    Baby Steel!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Is it ok to put the coral chips in the tank or inside the filter cannister? Tks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Both methods are OK. But don't spread the coral chips among your substrate as it will be impossible to remove them later.
    I use a mesh bag and put the coral chips in my filter.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks juggler