Country
    Singapore

co2 on 24/7 or not???????

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi to all bros,

I am newbie to planted tank, just set up tank for almost 6 days now, just wondering should I on the co2 injection 24/7? What will it cause to the plant if on 24/7? As I do know that plant do not need co2 in the night, the only concern is the fishes right? Pls correct me if I am wrong. I have not added any livestocks yet.

Currently, I discover, in the morning, the PH is at 6 before lights on & in the evening the PH is at 6.5. Lighting currently is on for 8hrs a day, temperature is at 25 degrees.

Start to discover 1 of the plant, I think is call the Aponogeton ulvaceus, long stem - spiral leaves, start to develops brownish in color for those shorter ones, is this a sign of too much co2 or insufficient light?

Pls help.

Many thanks
    Cheers
    CFP

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/8/2003 9:17:33 PM

Hi to all bros,

I am newbie to planted tank, just set up tank for almost 6 days now, just wondering should I on the co2 injection 24/7? What will it cause to the plant if on 24/7? As I do know that plant do not need co2 in the night, the only concern is the fishes right? Pls correct me if I am wrong. I have not added any livestocks yet.

Currently, I discover, in the morning, the PH is at 6 before lights on & in the evening the PH is at 6.5. Lighting currently is on for 8hrs a day, temperature is at 25 degrees.

Start to discover 1 of the plant, I think is call the Aponogeton ulvaceus, long stem - spiral leaves, start to develops brownish in color for those shorter ones, is this a sign of too much co2 or insufficient light?

Pls help.

Many thanks

----------------
    I presume you are using CO2 tank? If you don't have a solenoid, then leave the CO2 running all the while to save you the trouble. I run mine non-stop at about 1 or 2 bps.

With CO2 running all the time, of course the concern will be the fishes. SO ensure you have sufficient kH as buffer to prevent the pH from falling to very acidic levels.

For your A.ulvaceus, it's best to tell us more about the tank parameters/ fertilising regime as in this questionnaire. But my first suspicion is lack of major nutrients like N and P if you have not add any fertiliser containing nitrates.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    ph of 6 at night and 6.5 in the day is pretty good. In fact it is the optimal ph if I am not wrong. My tank have such ph too.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think that there is not such thing as the optimum PH. It all depends on your correct KH/PH/CO2 relationship.

The different in the PH is a good sign as it indicates that your plants are doing great photosynthesis.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    24/7 is fine for folks if you keep things within limits mainly for the critters. The issue I have seen and experience personally is that the CO2 tends to be on the lower range by mid-day and that can be a problem if you take into account of errors in pH and KH readings...I have tried 24/7 but after a couple of issues, have since reverted back to injecting CO2 during the photoperiod only as I can inject more CO2 with less worry of a CO2 overdose and keep things high and good.

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/9/2003 1:14:56 AM
    I presume you are using CO2 tank? If you don't have a solenoid, then leave the CO2 running all the while to save you the trouble. I run mine non-stop at about 1 or 2 bps.

With CO2 running all the time, of course the concern will be the fishes. SO ensure you have sufficient kH as buffer to prevent the pH from falling to very acidic levels.

For your A.ulvaceus, it's best to tell us more about the tank parameters/ fertilising regime as in this questionnaire. But my first suspicion is lack of major nutrients like N and P if you have not add any fertiliser containing nitrates.

----------------
    [/quote]

Hi Bro Juggler,

I have just started the tank, nothing has been added into it yet. Just co2 (2bps, 24/7)- pressurise-tank & lighting (8hrs/day).

I have this Dennerle S7, should add it in, as to what I know it contain trace elements for the plant.

When should start adding this liquid fertiliser? After 2-3 weeks after setting up?

Thanks.
    Cheers
    CFP

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    For my new setups, I start adding fertilisers (major nutrients and trace elements) after I do the planting. I am not sure about other folks.

Perhaps you can start adding fish in slowly so they can provide some NO3 soon. Otherwise, you need to dose NO3, PO4 etc. The Dennerle S7 is for trace elements only. You still need to add the major nutrients N,P,K.

Test your water to confirm. Cheers!
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks