Country
    Singapore

Anubias turning brown

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello everyone,

I've been having trouble with my anubias barteri. I bought 2 rhizomes tied to driftwood about 2 months ago. Since then, only 1 rhizome has shown any signs of growth (putting out 1 leaf). The other has started to brown at the centre, and leaves have fallen off where the rhizome has begun to rot.

I meant to take some photographs but I was forced to cut off the brown parts for fear of the rotten area spreading. I have narrowed the cause down to three possibilities:
    1. Water current. The rhizome that rotted was relatively closer to the powerhead that circulates water around the tank.
    2. Water parameters. The water in the aquarium is slightly acidic and likely soft, since blackwater treatment was added to cater to the cardinal tetras that live in it.
    3. Insufficient nutrients. I do not add in any fertilisers to my tank at present, so some people suggested it was a lack of iron etc.

Does anybody have experience with similar problems, and would you care to share your solutions? Any help would be appreciated, it's such a shame to see a good plant go to waste.

Ganthet

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    How are the other plants, if any, doing in your tank?

Its pretty hard to kill anubias. The only time I've seen them melting/rotting is when I stuffed them deep into a very dimly lit tank and even then they took very long to rot/melt.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Anubias turning brown

The other plants in the tank are Java Fern, Java moss and an Amazon Sword. The Java Fern and moss grow pretty quick as expected, while the Amazon sword seems slightly stunted and doesn't grow as fast. Even so there's no other plant in the tank that seems as badly affected as the Anubias.
    I didn't mention earlier, but I dose Flourish Excel as well, if that helps.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Just asking whats the wpg for your setup? Any front tank pictures?
    Getting poison everyday

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Since the other plants in your tank are doing well, that rules out fertilisation and/or lighting issues.

How did you plant the Anubias? The rhizome must be exposed above the substrate. That's the only thing I can think of.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

It maybe also plants that grow to close to one another causing serious leeching of nutrient even he does not dose any fert, doing WC will replenish some nutrients back. But still I dont think thats the case haha.

Picture says a thousand words,lol. Hard to imagine whats your anubias look like through words cause thats is one of the hardy plants around and its not cheap either.
    Getting poison everyday

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Just asking whats the wpg for your setup?
    Well I'd say my tank has approximately 2 watts per gallon. But I don't think lighting is the problem since anubias is a low light plant right?

How did you plant the Anubias? The rhizome must be exposed above the substrate.
    I ensured that the rhizome is above the substrate, so I don't think this is a problem.

It maybe also plants that grow to close to one another causing serious leeching of nutrient even he does not dose any fert, doing WC will replenish some nutrients back. But still I dont think thats the case haha.

Picture says a thousand words,lol. Hard to imagine whats your anubias look like through words cause thats is one of the hardy plants around and its not cheap either.
    The plants are in clusters attached to wood, so there is no plants that is very close to the anubias besides moss.
    I am very sorry I cannot give a picture, I didn't have time to take one and I had to cut away the affected parts because it had lost many leaves already. I bought it at Petmart in Serangoon. It was quite standard-looking, packaged in a plastic bag without water, if that helps.
    The price of anubias is really a deterring factor, and I am hesitant to buy a replacement plant if the root cause is not solved. I really don't understand why I cannot grow such a hardy plant.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Well, what happen to another anubia you bought? Dark green color on leave yet? Or has the roots started getting the grip on dw?
    Getting poison everyday

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The other one has only put out one leaf. A bit of spot algae, but not much damage. The roots haven't really gripped the wood, is that bad?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

It's the Excel then. Although it's a very remote possibility...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Really? Plenty of people with low tech set ups and anubias have used Excel with no issues, right? This must be a first.
    Last edited by Ganthet; 11th Dec 2011 at 22:54.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

My anubias are growing quite well now although previously it took a long time to spout new leaf. Maybe I didnt trim it or maybe something else.

Now they are growing under normal fl light. Not T8 ( though hard to get T8 in white color ) or T5ho etc. Total 40w on dbl tube . Recently I tried out some liquid fertilizer and after some time started to have better color and healthy roots and the roots are crawling dowwards towards the dw that I tied to.

Some liquid fertilizer I tried is the baxter brand complete fertilizer with trace elements and a small bottle of liquid iron fertilizer. Dose it everytime I do wc.
    Recently not too long ago, bought lushgro aqua and micros and seachem excel. So have to see if they have any diffenrences in that.

Though I have co2 running at low 1 to 2 bps, I still dose excel at those dead spot where the current is at the least hoping it will cover the whole tank.

So what Im trying to say is maybe you wanna get some fertilizer and try it. Not only your anubias will benefit on it, the rest of the plants will benefit from it too.

Hope it helps
    Getting poison everyday

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the advice, and please let me know if Excel has negative effects on your anubias.

By the way, if I wanted to set up a topic and ask people directly for their experiences with Excel and Anubias, which forum would be best? Because Excel isn't exactly a fertiliser.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Philippines

hi guys just wanna ask if where and what shop did you get the ANUBIAS plants? thank you!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by JRPEPITO_10 View Post
    hi guys just wanna ask if where and what shop did you get the ANUBIAS plants? thank you!
    Are you in Singapore? If yes. Almost all the lfs have it but mostly on dw or tied to something else. Potted ones is abit rare though.
    Getting poison everyday