Country
    Singapore

Quick removal of NO3 method

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi All,

I just had a major discovery. I need someone willing to do the same test to check the following:

My tank's NO3 was at 40ppm yesterday.[] Due to overdosing of NO3 (silly me) Anyway, I wanted to do a water change however decided to leave it. However, what I did before going to bed was to put 10ml of Seachem prime and left the tank alone. Today when I tested the water at night. Its at 5ppm. Double checked. If you are thinking the plants in the tank took in all those NO3, during daylight hours then you could be wrong, because for some reason, my power supply at home was cut. Which means the plants had only about 3 hours of light time (as shown on timer). Not sufficient to take in 35 ppm worth of NO3 in a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft tank.

Hope someone could help verify the findings.
    Cheerio,
    Sleepy_lancs
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    An afternoon trimming my watery garden is better
    then an afternoon with a therapist

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Most NO3 kits we use are pretty much crap...the drop from 40ppm to 5ppm in just a day without any lights (even with lights) is plain impossible. Do not trust the kit....

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Peter,

I can't believe it too. However, I have quite consistent results with this kit for the past 6 mths. Anyway, its Sera NO3 test kit. Perhaps someone could help me verify it. [:]

Another thing is that, I use to add SeaChem prime to all my water during water change. And no matter how much NO3 I add, I never get NO3 positive. I thought that my test kit isn't working so I added KNO3 into the controlled environment. And I get a colour change.

This time round, I just added NO3 to tap water without SeaChem Prime for the last 1 week and it does have a value besides 0 in the tank. I don't understand but I know that SeaChem Prime does somehow does something to NO3 which is stated on its bottle.

Anyway, just something I want to share. Perhaps someone could have this played out in their tank. No harm trying if your NO3 is high and you are almost about to throw out all those water that you have just put in.
    Cheerio,
    Sleepy_lancs

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You mean Seachem prime act as a NO3 remover?
    Doubt others might have this to try, you've to experiment it yourself again several times to confirm.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Looks like it does. Somehow. I don't know. Need someone to verify. I only have 1 tank at the moment. Can't confirm the findings.
    Cheerio,
    Sleepy_lancs

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I use Prime too. Will try to do a controlled experiment on NO3 when I get the time.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Guess it's possible. Checked their website and they said:

"Prime™ removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia. Prime™ converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank’s biofilter. Prime™ may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrite toxicity. Prime™ detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them."

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think what happened was that the NO3 was being complexed and did not show up on your tests. The NO3 is still there, but in a different form.

BTW, I think plants still do uptake nutrients in the dark hours. Not sure if it is so specifically for NO3, but I would not rule it out.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/12/2003 8:42:55 AM

Guess it's possible. Checked their website and they said:

"Prime™ removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia. Prime™ converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank’s biofilter. Prime™ may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrite toxicity. Prime™ detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them."

----------------
    If ammonia and nitrates are converted to some other forms by this Prime product, I am not sure your plants can still take up the N. Do monitor for N deficiency.

I once used a product called Zeolite in my filter and it removed all the ammonia and my plants showed N deficiency.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Okay dokie. I will monitor my tank and report further findings. Cheers Mates.
    Cheerio,
    Sleepy_lancs

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

Ok here's what I just did.

1. Take measurement of tankwater (10ppm NO3)
    2. Take another sample of tankwater and add few drops of Prime and mix thoroughly.
    3. Take measurement of Prime-treated tankwater (0ppm NO3)

Just for kicks, I measured tapwater, which showed at about the 2-3ppm level.

Conclusion? I guess Prime either removes NO3, or alters its state such that the test kit is not able to measure.