Images
    Country
    Australia

Need help in sexing snowflakes catfish

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have 5 snowflakes/peppermint catfish. they are about 1 year old.
    So far I can't see any bristle on their head. I am getting a conflicting advise. Someone said that mine probably all females. The male suppose to have bristle on their head. All 5 only have small bristle on the rim of their mouth. When I am looking for a grown male at LFS they have 4 but can't gurantee if they are male because they say it's very difficult to tell. Does anybody know how to sex this fish. Are they suppose to grow bristle like the common bristlenose????[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/28/2002 1:20:58 PM

I have 5 snowflakes/peppermint catfish. they are about 1 year old.
    So far I can't see any bristle on their head. I am getting a conflicting advise. Someone said that mine probably all females. The male suppose to have bristle on their head. All 5 only have small bristle on the rim of their mouth. When I am looking for a grown male at LFS they have 4 but can't gurantee if they are male because they say it's very difficult to tell. Does anybody know how to sex this fish. Are they suppose to grow bristle like the common bristlenose????[]
    ----------------
    Ikan ! the difference both sexes is that the male has very prominent or distinct bristles , the female usually don't. Cheers ! []

Akoh
    Safe Diving !
    Safe Diving !
    Seeking for the Ultimate Diving Adventure !
    - Sipadan, Similan Islands, Burma Banks, Palau, PNG, Raja Empat ( planning for June 08 )

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia
    Do you know when they start to show? All the ones that I have only have 2 little bristles on the front of their mouth and the are about 7 cm long (1 year old)
    Also today I saw one of my alt. Comprecissep with big stomatch like a bloat and it's not looking good. Last time Calvus died after having it.[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/1/2002 9:20:51 AM

Do you know when they start to show? All the ones that I have only have 2 little bristles on the front of their mouth and the are about 7 cm long (1 year old)
    Also today I saw one of my alt. Comprecissep with big stomatch like a bloat and it's not looking good. Last time Calvus died after having it.[]
    ----------------
    ikan ! it's tough to answer " when they start to show " well if it is there " u see it ![]. Mine which is about 10 cm long has very long distinct bristles on it forehead ( not at the rim of the mouth ! ), in fact I'm looking for a female ! well ! it's off season now ! have to wait for another few months !.
    Bloated stomach ! definitely Internal Parasites ! reckon u treat it separately with 3rd Generation " Ocean Free " medication for Internal Parasites, darn good stuffs ! dunno if it is available in Oz !, check it out !

Akoh
    Safe Diving !
    Safe Diving !
    Seeking for the Ultimate Diving Adventure !
    - Sipadan, Similan Islands, Burma Banks, Palau, PNG, Raja Empat ( planning for June 08 )