1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

1ft marine tank ? Advises ?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Im interested in doing up a nano marine tank for my room.
    I have these items ready and washed
    1ft tank with about 25litre capacity.
    Hof with 250l/hr
    And a 7w desk lamp from ikea.

I'm guessing the hof and lamp must be changed?
    So my real question ,
    Is a protein skimmer a must? Its out of my budget to get one
    If it's a must can I get those hof with skimmer built in?
    Is aeration able to remove tge protein film like in fresh water tanks ?
    Next question is, if I were to stock clown fishes , 2 of them, and would really like to put sea anemone in. Is it advisable ? The lfs told me that anemones grow big and would 'run' around? Can I just use a few live rocks and seaanemone in the middle with the fishes and a cleaning shrimp? Is that possible ? Would I expect any difficulties?

Low tech tank FTW!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: 1ft marine tank ? Advises ?

My advice is to not start a marine tank if you are on a budget. Anemone needs a matured tank so a new setup would cause some discomfort to the anemone. How are you going to chill the tank?
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

How mature must the tank be ? I'm thinking of cycling the tank with live rocks for about a mth than add snails 2 weeks later than the anemone . Than the rest every 2 weeks.

I'm getting a small fan ? Maybe the Dymax wind w4 ? And it's in my room so aircon would be on everynight . Is that sufficient ? I've seen people using iq5 without chilling equipment in non aircon room. So I assume I can forgo a chiller?

Low tech tank FTW!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I will not recommend anemone for a nano tank as due to the limitation of the size of the tank, it will be hard for you to control the salinity upon having water change or topping up of water.

Based on my understanding, anemone do move around but upon finding a suitable location, they might stay put. It's a joy to see clownfish gathering around the anemone.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hmm this is a tough call. Maybe I'll just try with the live rocks first. And see how things goes before stocking up with anemones and clown fishes. At worst just make it a coral tank :/

Low tech tank FTW!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Marine not cheap. A fish only with live rock (FOWLR) is more recommended if you really serious about starting.
    As like all small tanks, abit means alot like the above mentioned.

You see you think you hear who confirm? Long term or short term reports?
    don't jump the ball and go in blind don't want to see another bro waste few thousands of dollars in marine in short time.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hmm I guess ? Won't spend few thousands on marine tanks unless I have my own house. I'm only a poly student now that's why having a nano on my study table seem like a good idea. Seems like I should just stick to freshwater for now.

Anyway I'm quite sure it could work if im disciplined enough to keep up with the water changes at proper salinity. But just skip it and try for a Sakura tank instead or crs since I've the equipment ready

Low tech tank FTW!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

answers to your question. Yes you can have 2 clown fishes (small ones not big clowns) should be fine. For aquarium clowns, anemone is not required as anemone are for the fishes protection so, in a small tank, no need. By the way, anemone are rather hard to maintain in a small tank.

Skimmer is good to have in marine but since lack of space, you can forgo the skimmer but need to do weekly water change, which is costly. One way to offset the huge cost, is to have two "tanks" (two pails would be fine) in the 1st pail have several large liverock, where the water is kept to aged to water. The second pail, is the one where you keep the newly mixed salt water. So when oing water change, just pump some water out from main tank. Then pump in the water from the water from pail with live-rock, then add some more with those newly mixed water. Then the "old" main tank water can be return the pail with live rock to age then balance pour away in toilet. Skimmer helps to remove most of the "dirt and waste" easier.
    If possible have a sump is a better solution to your problem.

Your choice is to go Fish-Only-With-Live-Rock (FOWLR). A HOF (hang-on filter) is ok but only mechanical filtering but for marine you also need biological filtering, that why I like to used lots of live rock. A good skimmer will help in the mechanical and biological filtering as well.

If you play to play-play with a 1ft, it is ok, but for mid to long term, it is a but too small and a lot of work. go 2ft with a sumo as it is easier to go longer term (2-3 years).
    Good Luck.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Icic thanks for the headsup! It's actualy the water change part thats hard to discipline myself . Would decide solos about having one marine tank at home. Once again thanks

Low tech tank FTW!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

There's a lot of hidden cost to a marine setup. You can say it is a money pit. Whether a small tank like a nano or a large tank, the funds you spend could reach into the thousands mainly in acquiring equipment as well as purchasing livestock.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    There's a lot of hidden cost to a marine setup. You can say it is a money pit. Whether a small tank like a nano or a large tank, the funds you spend could reach into the thousands mainly in acquiring equipment as well as purchasing livestock.
    Oh my god. It seems like its a bad idea for now hahahaha. thanks alot anyway

Low tech tank FTW!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by SeVenZ View Post
    Oh my god. It seems like its a bad idea for now hahahaha. thanks alot anyway
    i didn't know that marine was costly until AL76 told me... honestly i was speechless at the money spent...
    take care
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    i didn't know that marine was costly until AL76 told me... honestly i was speechless at the money spent...
    take care
    Yeah , the amount added up is crazy.
    Tank fairly decent 2ft cube is cheap.
    But almost everyone encourage using a sump system instead on just a filter etc
    Then u have your pump? A decent one for 150? Over flow system, skimmer , reactor etc! My god and I Tot keeping a planted tank is expensive enough even thou I'm only keeping guppies and cherries.

It's okay! Next time whenbi start working maybe I'll actually find time to keep one !

Low tech tank FTW!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I think that marine is not expensive really. You can start one 1ftwith a OHF (overhead filter) but with this type of setup, the maintenance is very high - daily water topup, frequent water change, low livestock, and short aqaurium life (it should lasts about 6-8 months maximum) before you get tired with the maintenance.

If you go 2ft with a sump, with skimmer and simple lighting and going FOLWR this type of setup can lasts 2-3 years before the system needs a major overhaul.

If you are in for the long-term and low maintenance, then marine is rather not for you as the weekly maintenance tasks ae rather mid-to-high as the tank matures.

Cheers.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by cdckjn View Post
    I think that marine is not expensive really. You can start one 1ftwith a OHF (overhead filter) but with this type of setup, the maintenance is very high - daily water topup, frequent water change, low livestock, and short aqaurium life (it should lasts about 6-8 months maximum) before you get tired with the maintenance.

If you go 2ft with a sump, with skimmer and simple lighting and going FOLWR this type of setup can lasts 2-3 years before the system needs a major overhaul.

If you are in for the long-term and low maintenance, then marine is rather not for you as the weekly maintenance tasks ae rather mid-to-high as the tank matures.

Cheers.
    luckily im not going that route now, not so disciplined to do maintenance everyday for one tank

Low tech tank FTW!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi! You won't be satisfy with a 1ft tank for long, it's will make you waste alot of money when you want to upgrade later on. Start with a 2ft with a build-in overflow compartment at the center at least.. Just my 2 cents worth of advice.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hmmm FOWLR(fish only with live rocks) dont have to be expensive... 1ft cube with clowns is ok, i have that tank, exactly like how u want and the long term cost would still be the salt... U can make do without protein skimmer for a 1ft and honestly it'll be quite an overkill and looks ugly if u get a gd nano skimmer...get a bigger HOB for added flow, go for DSB(deep sand bed) and add macroalgae for nutrient transport. anemones can wait aft ur experienced with nutrient control and yes they do move even after settling down for weeks... That said, bigger tank is better but 1ft will still work fine as long as its not an impulsed move to get the tank...
    Never enough tanks, never enough money....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ezie View Post
    Hmmm FOWLR(fish only with live rocks) dont have to be expensive... 1ft cube with clowns is ok, i have that tank, exactly like how u want and the long term cost would still be the salt... U can make do without protein skimmer for a 1ft and honestly it'll be quite an overkill and looks ugly if u get a gd nano skimmer...get a bigger HOB for added flow, go for DSB(deep sand bed) and add macroalgae for nutrient transport. anemones can wait aft ur experienced with nutrient control and yes they do move even after settling down for weeks... That said, bigger tank is better but 1ft will still work fine as long as its not an impulsed move to get the tank...
    Hello, did you know that sms language is not welcome here in this forum? Read our rules and regulation. Your replies will disappear if you continue to insist using this form of communication.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    Hello, did you know that sms language is not welcome here in this forum? Read our rules and regulation. Your replies will disappear if you continue to insist using this form of communication.
    Oooops!! Noted! So sorry! Need to get rid of that habit. Thanks alot for the warning. Will keep that in mind.
    Never enough tanks, never enough money....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

suddenly shrimps seems so much easier to keep . will try next time when im working and have the spare cash to keep one. students dont earn alot now adays. haha

Low tech tank FTW!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast