Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Plans to setup 3ft

Feedback Score

Plans to setup 3ft

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Guys need ya opinions abt setting up a 3ft planted ... will it be difficult if i jus wanna create a grassy look ... i've tried a 2ft planted before and cleared and now wanting to start a new 1 ... planning to get a 5litre CO2 to reduce troubles with DIY as i've heard a lot of disadvantages abt DIYing CO2 and also 4x36w ... using 2213/2233 ... any opinions ?

Feedback Score
    Planning to put hairgrass and maybe some moss and other suggestion ? Is hairgrass expensive ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There might be a risk of algae boom in the initial phase for a HG Tank. You may want to try have a row of rotala lining the background to uptake the nutrients. Increase light gradually and pump up more CO2. The rotala can be reduced gradually.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    So bro u mean 4x36w will not be enough for 3ft or u mean slowly increase frm 2 to 4 tubes ? i want to create the hairgrass at the background to create a wavy kinda look ... will the algae will decrease if i introduce more yamotos and ottos ? i heard is due to the insufficient of CO2 not balancing with the lights output ... is it true ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/13/2003 8:28:36 PM

So bro u mean 4x36w will not be enough for 3ft or u mean slowly increase frm 2 to 4 tubes ? i want to create the hairgrass at the background to create a wavy kinda look ... will the algae will decrease if i introduce more yamotos and ottos ? i heard is due to the insufficient of CO2 not balancing with the lights output ... is it true ?
    ----------------
    4 x 36W is abt 3wpg for a 3 x 1.5 x 1.5 tank, more than enough. Hairgrass takes a longer time to establish itself, so the rotala is there to prevent algae outbreak.

Fall in your hairgrass all over the tank and have some some fast growers line up the background. Once the HG established, remove the fast growers, HG will take over the tank very soon.

But, always beware of algae in algae only tank.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually, you could try E.tenellus as your choice of 'grass'. With regular trimmings, it could turn out pretty nice lawn with reddish hew. That's if you like this effect. IMO, E.tenellus has a higher success rate than hairgrass.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    with CO2 injection and that kind of light, you should not have difficulties with HG, but then every tank has its idiosyncracies. I could never grow moss in my tank, but then later some left over fragments stuck in the grass managed to establish itself and actually outgrow and compete with the HG. So, in a planted tank, never say never, and never give guarantee except when guarantying algae growth [] []
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Thanks bro ! may i noe how much u guys spend on a 3ft ? to act as a gauge how much i have to put in ?