Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How to speed up recovery of torn fins?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How to speed up recovery of torn fins?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all!

My poor Leopard Corydorus was fin-nibbed by my rosy greedy barb till the whole dorsal fin was gone. In addition, scales on part of the head was exposed by that stupid barb as well. Is there anything that I can add to speed up recovery of torn fins and body patches?

Thanks!

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi

sorry to hear about your leopard cory.

You could separate the cory and let him have his own nursing tank. Clean water. Like maybe you could change just a little everyday e.g. 20% or every alternate day. You could add some Melafix to speed up the healing process or you could add a little salt to your nursing tank to promote healing as well.

btw, maybe you wanna look at the original tank to make sure that the cories have peaceful tankmates to ensure that this doesn't happen to the rest of the fishes.

Hope the little fella makes it.

Regards

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Melafix helps fish to recover faster from sores, wounds and torn fins.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yup, melafix does work well for me when it comes to fin damage, or early-stage fungal attack. It's harmless to fish and plts as it is actually a natural tea concoction.

mike

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for all the help guys!

The little fellow is still doing fine in my main tank. Swim well and eat well. It juz get all tense up whenever the barb is around it.

I can get that solution you guys mentioned from any lfs right? I'm thinking of addin the solution to the tank as I'm afraid the isolation of the cory may stress it up. Fyi, the tank is a 1/2 ft small tank lightly planted with some xmas moss, java moss, a bit of Blyxa, filtered by a small internal filter with CO2 supply @ 24/7. Nothing will happen to my plants and other fishes (2 small leopard corys, 2 otos and 4 Boraras Maculatus) right?

Thanks!

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    How about removing the Rosy Barb to prevent future mishaps?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Bought mine (biggest btl) at a lfs at Dover Rd market for $16.50 last wk but saw it selling at $15 at Clement 328. Better to get bigger btl, value for money. Quite difficult to find at other times since it's brought in fr the U.S.

mike

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, I dunno whether this method works for other fish or not but definetly works for my Bettas
    Whenever I send my bettas for a fight, they always come back with torn fins. I cure them by putting them in a ceramic pot, put half a piece of Ketapang leave/Dry Indian Almond leave for a gallon of water. Feed them as per normal. Just reduce the feedings to once a day. Within one wk, all the fins will be healed. I believe that only fishes living in soft acidic water can be healed in this way
    The Ceramic pot can be replaced but a glass jar covered with black paper or a pail.
    As long as its dark its ok
    Lyon © I would rather walk a thousand leagues then to see your ugly face

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the advise Skydevil! But I try not to catch it out for isolation. =)

Yes Juggler! I've been wanting to take it out for ages and pass it to Ah Tan's large tank but juz can't find the time to do so. Hopefully, this weekend. I believe it will be better in a much bigger tank.

This barb is actually only 6cm big and is not a bully. Juz that it is very greedy, so it goes around nibbling for food all the time, thereby mistakening my cory's dorsal for some food. Perhaps it's due to it hyper self that makes it hungry easily. It is always swimming around excitedly. =D

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    How many rosy barb do you have? Try to keep at least six barbs so that the barbs will be chasing among themselves and leave your cory alone.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    How many rosy barb do you have? Try to keep at least six barbs so that the barbs will be chasing among themselves and leave your cory alone.
    ----------------
    wks,

Imagine having at least six barbs in a 1/2 ft tank ... [:0]

I think those barbs will not let the poor cory live in there peacefully. [:0]