Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Survey: Whats the lifespan of your cardinals?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Survey: Whats the lifespan of your cardinals?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello
    Just wanna find out how long do your cardinals live? I recently found out my 3/4-1 inch cardinals dying while the other smaller ones are alright and swimming. Really heart pain, cos keep them for 8 months liao feed the bugger till big and fat. Is it better to buy smaller cardinals from LFS in future so that they live longer in you tanks?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    .... Cardinal tetra can live to around 4 years. Think there might be some problems with your tetras for them to die after only 8 months.

1)Maybe the exact age of the fishes you have is around there, 4 years old from fries to full adult....

2) overeating ????

3) Prolong exposure to certain addictive/metal/chemicals/chlorine ? 8 months worth of poisoning.... newer fish might not exhibit until lethal dosage is accumulated...

4) Bad luck ? PH crash ? Ammonia spike ? Internal blockage(E.g like heart attack, too much fat/food ) ?

More investigation into tank params might shine more light into it. Top priority is always the water quality, then followed by care of the aquarist. ( proper tank maintainence, avoid overfeeding , etc)

My thoughts

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Really 4 years? Wow.

I left 5 Cardinals (from a batch of 30) which I got from Gan in Jan 2002. Still doing well. Sadly, most of them died during a disease outbreak a few months back. Hope to see these surviving 5 live longer.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    plantmania,
    Thanks for the input, ok la, could be the new batch of neon tetras that were added last month. Cos they were the ones dying first followed by my fat cardinals.

Will check on my water quality too.

Hopefully its just old age of those cardinals, cos i bought them at a rather big size.