Country
    Singapore

Cardinal tetra or Green neon tetra as companion for Ember tetra

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

Currently I have 30 ember tetras and 4 emperor tetras in my 3 x 2 x 2 planted tank. I intend to add in just 1 more type of tetra (around 20 pieces) into the tank, maybe either cardinal tetra or green neon? Would either of them be a good choice as I do not want the tank to look out of sync due to incompatible color combination of the fishes? Else any other recommendation? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Cambodia

Re: Cardinal tetra or Green neon tetra as companion for Ember tetra

Neon and Cardinal are quite flashy in colour.
    I have Cardinal instead of Neon or Green Neon as I prefer more red.
    I have them in a tank with Boraras Brigettae and Galaxy Rasbora.
    Color contrast among them is good as Boraras Brigettae is small and Galaxy abit dull in color BUT Neon stands out the most.

It will be a tough decision for you to make as it is either going to be a love or hate situation.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Cardinal Tetra should be a better pick than the Green Neon. If you do get the Cardinals, make sure you buy young ones. Mine were purchased as small sized individuals, during a previous Aquarama. Now they're jumbo sized.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia

Haha tough one. I had to make a similar decision a while back. I chose the Greens to accompany my Red Phantoms. Anyway, as for your situation I dont think you can go wrong in your decision. Some things to keep in mind is the size difference between your Embers (2cms) to Greens (2.5cm) vs Cardinals (5cms). Also the reds in the Cardinals are very Red!!!! What I mean is that might take away from your Embers subtle orange coloration....but than again, saying so.... that might be what you want.

I recommend Green Neons. Since I first shipped them in to my old fish shop in 1970, very soon after they were introduced to the hobby, they have been my favorite Paracheirodon species. They tolerate warmer water than Neons like Cardinals. And everyone has Cardinals so I like to keep something different. Among the many different Charcins inhabiting my 125 US Gallon planted Tetra tank the center piece fish are my school of 100 Green Neons.
    I also like Ember Tetras and have about 20. They complement each other well. Other species in my tank are Nannostomus eques, Diamond Tetras, Robert's Tetras(a very under appreciated species), Silver Hatchetfish, Rummy Nose Tetras, Copella spilota, Otocinclus and Checkerboard Cichlids, Dicrossus filamentosus.
    Old fish breeder. SA Dwarf Cichlids, Hypancistrus sp L260, L333 and Peckoltia L134 breeder. Also Sturisoma, Dwarf Corydoras spp, wild Discus and Killiefish. Like breeding Characins and wild Betta spp too.