Country
    Singapore

Re: Pseudomugil sp. "Red Neon"

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

Are then generally peaceful fishes? So pretty. I'd like them to join my 3ft tank family. But I have peaceful fishes in it already. About 20 rummies, 3 WCMM, 6 dwarf puffers, 4 German Blue Rams, 10 yamatoes, 4 pristella tetras and a lot a lot of cherry shrimps and malayan shrimps. Will these attack my peace loving fishies?

I do have hiding places in my tank. Plants and all... Your thoughts?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

These small fishes are peaceful and only skirmish among themselves. The problem in this case will be the puffers, because they do nip fins and will make short work of your shrimps. As long as the pH stays around 7, they should be fine in a community setting with your fishes.

If they are wild-caught, you might have a hard time getting them to eat sinking flake or pellet foods. I fed those in my temporary care with grindals before they moved on to their new home.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    These small fishes are peaceful and only skirmish among themselves. The problem in this case will be the puffers, because they do nip fins and will make short work of your shrimps. As long as the pH stays around 7, they should be fine in a community setting with your fishes.

If they are wild-caught, you might have a hard time getting them to eat sinking flake or pellet foods. I fed those in my temporary care with grindals before they moved on to their new home.
    Yes about the puffers. I've been warned several times about my puffers nipping the fins of my other fishes. So far, even though my snail problem has been eliminated, the puffers have not harmed the other fishes. I'm wondering if I'm just lucky that my puffers are behaving "abnormally" or it's just that it's yet to happen. Sounds like this Red Neon is hard to find though. I guess I'll let fate decide next time I step into C328.

Thanks for the advice!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

FYI, the Red Neon are pretty pricey with a 2 digit price at most LFS. They are seasonal fish I think. I missed a batch of Oryzias woworae Muna Island some time ago. Sad though because that fish is spectacular for a rice fish.

I guess in your case, the Puffers are fat and happy. In some situations, they nip because they're hungry. However, I wouldn't trust them with shrimps at any time.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

FYI, the Red Neon are pretty pricey with a 2 digit price at most LFS. They are seasonal fish I think. I missed a batch of Oryzias woworae Muna Island some time ago. Sad though because that fish is spectacular for a rice fish.

I guess in your case, the Puffers are fat and happy. In some situations, they nip because they're hungry. However, I wouldn't trust them with shrimps at any time.
    Thanks for the heads up on the price. Maybe I'm just a weird person with weird fishes. I'm constantly worried about the puffers. So I guess I have to keep monitoring. I do feed all of them frozen blood worms. I dunno if that helps but I figure if they all get a share of these bloody things, they might be happier and less likely to attack their neighbors. Keeping my fingers crossed about my puffers. Maybe cos they are very very small. They are in fact, smaller than a lot of my shrimps. I've seen a small shrimp climb onto a puffer and hitching a ride upwards. It was pretty hilarious.

I wish more great LSF opened in the East. I'm always running to C328 and Seaview.... Way too far. and now Seaview is moving to YISHUN? No fair!

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by charcaradon megaldon View Post
    Lucas,

Thanks for the tips bro!

I think my filter should be able to handle the bioload. Afterall, these are pretty small fish and like I've mentioned before, I only have 3 CPD in the tank right now.

What do you feed the red neons with?

At the end of the day, I am really just looking for low maintenance fish to bring some spunk into the tank! Haha....
    Hmm, i realise it is hard to feed them as they are small, and they do not eat dry food. I think frozen daphnia would be good to start with, or if you have access live daphnia or live baby brine shrimp, those would be better.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

They have small mouths so regular size FBW like those from Hikari are a no-go where they are concerned. You need to find smaller sized FBW or culture grindal worms, or feed them with frozen Daphnia/BBS etc. Last I recall, the farms at Jalan Kayu were given the choice to move to Lorong Chencharu, just across the road from Sembawang Airbase. I wouldn't say it's close to Yishun, but it's not exactly the easiest of places to go to.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by RonWill View Post
    Oliver, you should see the new batch of Pseudomugil sp. Red Neons!!! Sweee!!! Not only that, check out the Pseudomugil ivantsoffi as well. Subtle colors like the P. gertrudae but just as nice!!
    Where where!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Oliverpool View Post
    Where where!!!
    I saw both Red Neon and Ivantsoffi at both C328 and GC. At C328, the Ivantsoffi it is hanging towards the back and on the lefthand side in front of all the plastic bags + tanks with the shrimps. It is selling in a pair with the male and female in seperate plastic bags which are inside a big plastic bag with "Ivantsoffi" marked on the plastic bag courtesy of a black marker. If I recall correctly, C328 wants $30 for the pair - the price is marked outside of the bag as well.

@Ron, Stormhawk, and/or other Gurus reading this thread: Will it be cheaper to get these kinds of fish at Seaview? Or is the amount of the money saved is compromised by the lack of public transportation?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Unless you are going to Seaview to buy a lot of things, and it is easily accessible from where you live, I don't think there's a big difference where you buy your fish from.

Ps. ivantsoffi is a nice species, but if you're not into rainbows or just want it for a community setup, keeping cheaper ones like Ps. gertrudae / Ps. furcatus would be better. The trade name for the Red Neon locally is Red Furcata, or so the staff at C328 say.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Angry Re: Pseudomugil sp. "Red Neon"

Quote Originally Posted by lucasjiang View Post
    Hmm, i realise it is hard to feed them as they are small, and they do not eat dry food. I think frozen daphnia would be good to start with, or if you have access live daphnia or live baby brine shrimp, those would be better.
    I Got 4 from GC yesterday. They seem to eat the small pallets from NLS that I feed all my other fishes. They responded to three feedings of NLS already. I understand the GC uncle feeds them small pallets from Hikira.

They are pretty active fishes and very unafraid of people. In fact they seem to swim right up towards me when I approach the tank. Because of that my CPD comes out more instead of hide when I approach the tank. They are mainly mid to low level swimmers but seem to sleep near the top at night. Lovely eyes.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Oliverpool View Post
    I understand the GC uncle feeds them small pallets from Hikira
    Pallets?? Erhm... you meant pellets! More precisely, it's grounded/finely crushed Carnivore tablets and ya, it's easier for others when uncle's fishes go through boot camp, adjusting to food and strangers. What's this NLS you mentioned? Perhaps I can take a pinch from you should we happen to meet at GC.

Oh ya, I was informed earlier that GC uncle was involved in an accident and will be on MC for the next 3 days. Crap!! He might be built to last like a Russian tank but he's gonna be bored stiff limping around and recuperating from home.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

nice colouration , has it breed yet ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Working on it. How's yours coming along?
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Best time to stun the uncle at home..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Don't forget you have a 30m NO-CROSS zone within the proximity of his residence
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

More like 30m zone of smiling at security camera.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by RonWill View Post
    Pallets?? Erhm... you meant pellets! More precisely, it's grounded/finely crushed Carnivore tablets and ya, it's easier for others when uncle's fishes go through boot camp, adjusting to food and strangers. What's this NLS you mentioned? Perhaps I can take a pinch from you should we happen to meet at GC.

Oh ya, I was informed earlier that GC uncle was involved in an accident and will be on MC for the next 3 days. Crap!! He might be built to last like a Russian tank but he's gonna be bored stiff limping around and recuperating from home.
    Tell Uncle to take care and come back soon! Take it easy and don't chiong everywhere lah!

NLS is New Life Science. Suppose to be pretty good food. I been feeding my fishes just NLS pellets with no variety to see if it does make a difference. All my fishes seems to love it. I will bring some up the next time I meet up with you to let you try it!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

One thing to take note of. If you are feeding NLS pellets, their containers are not air tight so a small packet of desiccant is recommended to be placed in side.

I had a container of NLS pellets at one time because I needed something to feed my fish. Only the Cardinal Tetras in my tank would touch them. The rest pretty much did not even eat it. Even my Corydoras ignored the pellets. I guess different experiences for everyone.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

One thing to take note of. If you are feeding NLS pellets, their containers are not air tight so a small packet of desiccant is recommended to be placed in side.

I had a container of NLS pellets at one time because I needed something to feed my fish. Only the Cardinal Tetras in my tank would touch them. The rest pretty much did not even eat it. Even my Corydoras ignored the pellets. I guess different experiences for everyone.
    Hmm. My nls bottle looks pretty airtight. But then again I transferred some to a small container and used it from there. Thanks for letting me know.

Only think I do not like about it is that it seems to be a little "oily". It does leave a slight oil film on the water unlike other food. The oil film dissipate pretty fast in my tank though. Strange my cpd, rummy and red neon seems to really like it.

Maybe they changed the formula?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast