Country
    Singapore

Dilemma over Algae Bloom

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Attachment 27924
    Some changes were made with intention to improve growth. However the problems has now got out of hand and very lost as what to do next. Refer to the attached pics for an indication of the size of the problem. The bright grren plant is actually trimmed from the top of the plant in the background which is covered by algae. Nana petite leaves have black spots and patches. On the bright side some plants are thriving under new condition. The needle leaf ludwigia leaves turning red that was never seen before and tiger lotus growing like weeds.

When using
    39 watts x 2 T5
    Slow growth, little algae issues
    plant stems skinny.
    Needle leaf ludwiga leaves all green

After Change to
    39 watts x 2 T5 +39 watts x 2 t5HO + Aqua lushgro dosage 1/2 cap weekly

Fast growth with algae bloom.
    Leaves of ludwigia turning red.
    Plant stems thicker.

CO2 dosage remains unchanged. Drop checker indicates light green.
    Can refer to my signature for other details.

Hope to get some advise basing on the above info. Particularly what type of algae am i dealing with.
    3ft Tank. Eheim 2028. ADA soil. LIghting 2 X 39 T5 / pressurized Co2 @ 8hrs/day.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Dilemma over Algae Bloom

I can't really see how your tank looks like... could you re-take the picture without flash? Leave the aquarium lights turned on.

Don't depend on the drop checker. It might show green but your CO2 might still not be enough. When you add more lights and liquid fertilization, you need to increase the CO2 accordingly.

Clean your filter and your reactor to eliminate any possibility of clogging resulting in poor CO2 efficiency. Increase your CO2 input too. Make sure there is good circulation around the tank. Add more plants too.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for your advice bro. I tried determining co2 level using kh/ph value but outcome not logical. I thought i could count on reliability of drop checker but have to
    rule that out as well basing on yourfeedback. But i have reason to believe the co2 level is high because my blue ram very passive whenever co2 is running. But other fishes are normal though. Just guessing. So do not want to take chances by increasing co2. Infact the tank is already saturated with PEARLING. What other reliable method of determining co2 level is available?. Certainly it would be a big help. Thinking of adding a wavemaker to improve circulation. Reactor is driven by a standalone pump no filter. Anyway my mainfilter is cleaned once every month. As requested retook the pictures.
    3ft Tank. Eheim 2028. ADA soil. LIghting 2 X 39 T5 / pressurized Co2 @ 8hrs/day.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

cant really see what algae you are having. Need to identify which algae you are having problem with. Different algae cause by different thing and different way of cleaning it.

Depending on drop checker brand, you might need to dilute the solution with kH = 4 instead of tank water.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Attachment 27950Attachment 27949Attachment 27948

Using ANS drop checker. Yes did dilute it with kh4 solution. Have posted more close up pics of the algae infected plants. One of them is Nana Petite and the other Cabomba (Fanwort). Hope it helps.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I reckon it's spot algae.

http://aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/20...pot-algae.html

I have this in my tank too, though my Hillstream Loach loves it for some reason. Nerite Snails should eat this algae I think.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

There is pearling? Then your CO2 is reasonably good enough. Now I'd say it's a lack of water circulation in your tank. Maybe consider the age of your 2217, clean the filter and hoses to remove any buildup and/or add a powerhead to improve circulation in the tank. Meanwhile like I've always been advised, attack the algae and remove as much of it as you can.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by |squee| View Post
    There is pearling? Then your CO2 is reasonably good enough. Now I'd say it's a lack of water circulation in your tank. Maybe consider the age of your 2217, clean the filter and hoses to remove any buildup and/or add a powerhead to improve circulation in the tank. Meanwhile like I've always been advised, attack the algae and remove as much of it as you can.
    Yes have added the powerhead and trim off the affected leaves and plants. Also temporarily reducing my light to only 2 x T5. Thanks all who have join in the discussion promptly.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Tank is too sparse I think