2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: A day at Green Chapter

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    The Fundulopanchax gardneri "Innidere" male I got a couple months back have grown quite a bit, but nothing as spectacular as the mature adults I saw at GC. One thing I'm sure though, is the bottom yellow filament extension, which is lacking in my male.

Jianyang, if you are reading this, do you have the same problem as mine?

Ronnie, is this a recessive trait? I'm thinking if I should use this male for breeding, since I saw a lone young male at GC, which has better features than the one I got.
    Currently keeping large predatory fish 🐟

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

My male is still the same, shows the same colors as it had while in the tank at GC. Are you referring to the lyretail? Some will lose the bottom or both lyres as they grow older.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Shi Xuan View Post
    I'm thinking if I should use this male for breeding....
    No reason not to try. Might be a one-off incidence for this particular male but we could learn something. Not exact rocket science but it might guide us in breeding stock criteria.

Worst case scenario is catching up with lost time and if his off-springs does sport bi-caudal yellow markings, then the lack of caudal color bands or extension/streamers might not be genetically related.

In any case, I saw a few more new NIG males. Colors a tad washed but they're probably acclimatizing to new environment and/or perhaps the light shade was due to substrate color.

As long as the NIGs are sound and well, there's not much to worry about. If you're going ahead with their breeding, please update.
    Last edited by RonWill; 15th Feb 2012 at 03:02.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Well, there's no reason not to use this male then, I guess, besides this was the largest male I picked. It showed a slight yellow filament extension on it's bottom lyretail but noticed that it simply lost it as it gets older.

In any case, I have two females, so there will be chances I'll get males in the succeeding generations with a proportionate lyretail, even if it's recessive genetically.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Guess what, the male's not only have a missing yellow filament on it's caudal, even the yellow edges on the anal fin is missing. This male looks really "bitten off" but looking on the bright side, with some right selective breeding, I can probably get back a proper "lyretail". It's just a matter of time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12