12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

need some help on my fauna in planted tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I recently started on my planted tank (2 ft) and I mixed in a couple of different types of fishes (mainly tetras; really can't remember what I had gotten except for the red eye tetra and sunkist platys - should have jotted the names down when I got them). I had also gotten myself some starlight pleco, about 3 of them (L183). I am attaching a picture so if a kind soul can help ID the fishes it would probably help in answering the question (in next paragraph)

Now my question is this: I am wondering if my plecos are eating well. They love to hide so I can't seem to find them most of the time. The fishes are taking in flakes so I try to overfeed so that the balance food sink to the bottom, but yet I still don't see the plecos coming out. Should I try to get some sinking pellets for the plecos instead? What are the recommendations then?

Attachment 28098
    Last edited by mincedmeat; 16th Jan 2012 at 09:14.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: need some help on my fauna in planted tank

I think they are more herbivorous than carnivorous, so you should give them blanched veggies like cucumbers for them to rasp on. I don't think they take flakes. Supplement the diet with frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp etc and sinking pellets like the Carnivore Pellet and they should be fine.

The L183 are small now but eventually they will get bigger. They are shy at first but once established, they will venture out more often. My own Peckoltia was a shy pleco at first. Now he's always out and about once I drop the pellets in.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: need some help on my fauna in planted tank

Great! Thanks for the tip! Will try it out over the course of the week and see how it works out for them. I was thinking of adding more L183 into the tank so I hope these 3 adapt fine and I can then go get more.